Close

Default New member from South Carolina with a SVO with some issues

Diesel guy crossing the line here! I own a Powerstroke shop and drive nothing but diesels until the past few months I have been on a weird kick. It started with me wanting a old school boat and it turned into scoring a 69 Cadillac Fleetwood 75 (yes I bleed blue but you cant hate on old Cadillacs so to me they get a free pass lol). A few weeks later one of my techs and I get into a cock fight on who can build the best car in a 2k budget. So lucky as I am I scored a 84 SVO (always wanted one anyways because even though I am a diesel freak turbo gas burners get a free pass as well) for $1800. Previous owner blew the engine and rebuilt the bottom end. It has a t3t4 63 trim compressor housing, 3" down pipe and I straight piped it 3" back, front mount intercooler, Aeromotive FPR, Ranger roller cam, adjustable cam sprocket, Innovate motorsports air/fuel, oem plugs, Walbro 255, 35psi brown tops, who freaking knows what kind of shifter but its bad ass lol, roll cage and right now its rolling on 17" Bullitt style rims. Anyways he couldn't get it to run right so he let it go. Would idle good but cut up mid-upper rpm range. All of that being said that is exactly how I got the car besides the mid pipe back exhaust and all upgrades are newer. With that said he told me this current issue wasn't there before the engine let go (said it melted a piston going down the interstate only running 15psi). So far I have set tps, replaced IAC valve and replaced plug wires (napa brand and I know I am going to find some oem). Last night I verified timing belt was correct but with the adjustable cam sprocket I am not sure I trust it yet. After that I verified he had the distributor in 180 degrees out yet het clocked the wires correctly 180 out lol. I fixed that BUT he removed the timing belt cover including the bottom portion with crank timing marker so I just eye balled it. Anyways it started and ran somewhat similar but while checking higher rpms it started to bog down on me. I walked away for a while and when I came back it started but didn't want to stay running but did. I saw the header starting to glow just at high idle so I shut it down. Now it doesn't want to start. I am at the point I want to pull the cam gear and crank pulley and ensure cam timing is 100% correct, cut the belt cover so I can install the lower portion with crank timing marker and start from scratch. Before all of this I verified it would hold about 20" vacuum at idle via Autometer boost gauge. I am a diesel dude so not sure if this is correct. I say that because obviously a vacuum leak is on the list of possible issues here. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Btw my competition on this is one of my techs and another shop owner. Other shop owner is using his 405hp crate engine he was gonna put in his dirt track car and has 2k to spend on a chassis. My tech was eye balling a 4g63t Talon so the challenge is just that lol. Competition will be 1/8th and 1/4 mile, road course and 60-0 stopping.

Retarted timing will make a header glow. I would do like you mentioned, cut the timing cover and reinstall so you car check the timing.

IMO tossing a motor you already have into a $2K challenge car deal isn't fair unless you put the value of that motor towards the $2K total.

Jess
    Previously owned;
    1979 Mustang, v6 swapped to EFI 393, custom installed m122 blower, 4r70w trans, Megasquirt II, T-top swaped in.
    1990 Mustang, 545 BBF, C-4 with brake, ladder bars.
    1983 Mustang, 1984 SVO Mustang
    1984 Mustang convertible, v6 swapped to 351
    1986 Mustang GT, 1989 Mustang GT convertible
    1992 Mustang coupe, 4 swapped to 302

I agree on that but he did ask if we were allowed to use anything we had laying around to which I said yes. The rules are it has to be a actual vin# car (no chassis building), you use whatever you can scrounge up or have laying around and tune up stuff so long as it isn't performance gaining doesn't count towards the total. I feel like I found the perfect car for all around if I can get it running right. I only have $200 to spend as far as upgrades which will have to buy some 15" rims for some slicks another shop owner is donating if this setup wont fall on its face with a 28" slick. I may be better off getting a drag radial in a shorter tire to fit the 17" rims I already have. I am going to get a head gasket kit and redo it all since that doesn't count against my total out of pocket. As far as the hot header yeah that was my thoughts as well. I will update with what I find. Thanks for the reply.

Tripp

So I installed the crank timing marker, put everything back to TDC and tried to start it but wouldn't start. With a light on it I had my girl crank it over and verified the light was flashing when it wanted to but definitely not like it should per stroke. I will be putting a coil on it tomorrow with high hopes this was his original problem as it is definitely old.

Sorry I've got nothing more for you. I used to drive around a turbocharged EFI 5.0 with the timing locked 20 degrees. This was back before there were so many good tuning options. If you looked at the engine at night the headers would glow. Give it more timing and the glow would go away, car ran better too.

I owned a '84 SVO once but never did anything with it. Maybe posting your questions in the 2.3 section of this forum would get you more answers. Good luck.

Jess
    Last edited by Mustang-junky; 05-28-2018 at 09:10 PM.
    Previously owned;
    1979 Mustang, v6 swapped to EFI 393, custom installed m122 blower, 4r70w trans, Megasquirt II, T-top swaped in.
    1990 Mustang, 545 BBF, C-4 with brake, ladder bars.
    1983 Mustang, 1984 SVO Mustang
    1984 Mustang convertible, v6 swapped to 351
    1986 Mustang GT, 1989 Mustang GT convertible
    1992 Mustang coupe, 4 swapped to 302

Welcome to FEP, good luck with getting to run right. Put out some pics of her too....