Close

Default My new project a 79 capris rs

Have a new project it does run and moves but does need some work , any help suggestionsName:  20180523_181953.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  157.2 KB

Congrats!

Suggestion would be to make it run and move well under it's own power. Make it a driver and then worry about any cosmetics, interior, etc. Later!

All too often owners tear a project like this apart with the intentions of restoring, resto-moding, rebuilding, etc. and the car never sees the road again. The project sits in pieces for many years and the owners finally sells it off for scrap, parts, or just to get it out of the driveway/garage to make the spouse happy.

Right now is perfect driving weather. Make the car driveable. Drive the heck out of it and enjoy it every chance you get. Make notes of what needs to be fixed and prioritize the list based upon safety, budget, time table, etc.

Safety issues and basic repairs that can be knocked out in a weekend or couple of nights during the week are fine this time of year, but save any major tear downs, repaints, interior redo's for the winter months when you most likely won't drive the car anyway. This will help you stay interested and hopefully keep the car on the road as much as possible. Enjoy!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Trust Trey! The perfect advice.

Mike

Well it runs and moves on it's own power that's a plus

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    All too often owners tear a project like this apart with the intentions of restoring, resto-moding, rebuilding, etc. and the car never sees the road again. The project sits in pieces for many years and the owners finally sells it off for scrap, parts, or just to get it out of the driveway/garage to make the spouse happy.
    Hey, it took 29 years, but I did finish it.

I would heed Treys advice unless you seriously have the time, resources and skills to commit to a full rebuild. And if you do pursue that avenue, be prepared to accept spending far more than you anticipated, both time and money. As you have a good driveable car there, keep it that way and embrace the patina of time. Some TLC and minimal investment could do a lot to clean up some of the cosmetics.

Name:  20180524_154544.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  75.8 KB
    Last edited by wraithracing; 05-25-2018 at 05:06 PM. Reason: Fix Picture

If it runs and drives, then make it safe and reliable if needed.

Then enjoy the heck out of it every chance you get during the summer and fall. All the while making plans for any improvements, changes, repairs, upgrades, etc. Then once the weather turns bad, pull the Capri into the garage and start making those repairs, changes, upgrades, etc. and have it ready again come Spring time 2019!!
    ​Trey

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Here is an option for getting your new stripes RS decals if you like.

https://www.phoenixgraphix.com/ford/sk1001a.php

The eyebrow stripes on my 82 RS are two colors, a light blue and a darker blue. It appears yours are a single color. If your pinstripes on the moldings are red, I believe your eyebrows and RS were originally Red, but have faded to a Orange color with time. Not 100% on that, but it wouldn't surprise me. Good Luck and enjoy your RS!
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller