Close

Default Modifications To Your Car, Truck Van, House You Wish You NEVER DID!

Tell us all about the Modifications You Made to any of the above or Aftermarket Products You Installed on Your Car That You Wish You NEVER DID and want everyone to LEARN FROM YOUR MISTAKES OR LAUGH AT YOU for doing it in the First Damn Place!

Your late teen's and early 20's seems to be time in life that is FULL of stuff you did that you thought was KOOL at the time and now that you can look back on your life with "20/20" vision was REALLY STUPID!

It's never too late for all of US to learn from "Your" Mistakes!
    Last edited by vintageracer; 05-21-2018 at 05:02 PM.
    Mike
    Remember, "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts!"

1995 Ford Powerstroke F350 "Centurion" STRETCHED Crew Cab Dually

I like "Cut & Coach Built" vehicles!

www.musclecardeals.com

I had an 88 aero hatchback that I transplanted a Thunderbird Turbo Coupe drive train into. Car ran great and was super dependable. But I went crazy with the suspension and the car Road so stiff that it wasn’t fun to drive anymore. So when I moved from PA to MA I ended up selling the car.
    1979 Indy Pace Car Mustang 302 / 5spd
    1982 Mustang GT T-Top 302 / 4spd
    1986 SVO Mustang - 1C

OMG this could get interesting! The only one that stands out to me....I was 17 driving my '82 Capri RS on a date with a girl down to Indiana University for a college tour. I had cut out the opening of my hood scoop, and turned the air cleaner lid upside down to expose the carb....you know, red-neck Ram Air Got about 20 mins down the road in a light snow storm and it stalled out. I took the lid off to see the carb and rest of the firewall was clearly getting wet. Flipped it over, sat for a minute and luckily it fired up and stumbled down the road for a few seconds before smoothing itself out
    Jason Smith
    MCA #65481

'82 Capri RS Resto-Mod
    '88 #400 Saleen Coupe "Mean Machine" Legal Guardian
    '93 LX Yellow/Black Summer Feature - 2,800 Mile Original Survivor (Foxtoberfest 2019 Best Original 87-93)
    '05 S-281 Mineral Grey

Back around 1975 we had a drag strip about 10 miles from where I lived. I used to love racing there but since I was using my daily driver ('72 Demon) I sometimes ran into a problem because I broke the car racing on Sunday and needed it to get to work on Monday. I thought the solution was to buy a car specifically for racing. I bought a '69 Dart 340/4 speed and completely gutted it, and I do mean completely. It would have been nearly impossible to return it to street use. I ran the car one season and the track closed for good after that. Since the next nearest track was too far away I quit racing and was stuck with a now ruined car, which I parted out. In retrospect I wish I wouldn't have ruined that car as I'd sure like to have it now.

I also have a tale of woe about the house. When we bought the old house we still live in it had two chimneys. The gas furnace was vented into one and the other one that used to be for a coal furnace only had the gas water heater vented into it. I wanted that chimney gone so I bought an electric water heater and took the chimney out. I soon learned that it cost twice as much to heat water with electricity compared to gas and it took a lot longer to reheat once you emptied the tank. I don't think I had the electric water heater a year before I got rid of it and went back to gas.
    408/T5/3.73's

We're not fast racers, we're more what's known as half fast racers.

Guess this thread would have gotten too interesting the way it was originally written.

Jess
    Previously owned;
    1979 Mustang, v6 swapped to EFI 393, custom installed m122 blower, 4r70w trans, Megasquirt II, T-top swaped in.
    1990 Mustang, 545 BBF, C-4 with brake, ladder bars.
    1983 Mustang, 1984 SVO Mustang
    1984 Mustang convertible, v6 swapped to 351
    1986 Mustang GT, 1989 Mustang GT convertible
    1992 Mustang coupe, 4 swapped to 302

Quote Originally Posted by Mustang-junky View Post
    Guess this thread would have gotten too interesting the way it was originally written.

Jess
    Don't fret - I got a kick from your "mod" that was evidently taken down....
    1979 Indy Pace Car Mustang 302 / 5spd
    1982 Mustang GT T-Top 302 / 4spd
    1986 SVO Mustang - 1C

Well, i guess I missed all the early shenanigans in this thread, but I'll keep it going.

I regret modding my engine in the Zeph before I got everything working decently together. I guess in hindsight, I'd do it again though because I needed the distraction from the fact that the thing was such a disappointment to drive early on with so many things wrong with it, many of which I didn't yet know how to solve. If I'd had the money to buy all the parts I have now brand new right from the start, I'd have a very different story to tell about my car.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

My biggest regret on my '79 mustang was doing the t-top swap. It was awesome for a drive on a summer evening, but was the one big thing that turned the car from a daily summer driver to just a weekend driver. I never did get the door glass perfectly adjusted, Got tired of messing with it. Just parked the car in the garage so the seats didn't get wet from rain.

Jess
    Previously owned;
    1979 Mustang, v6 swapped to EFI 393, custom installed m122 blower, 4r70w trans, Megasquirt II, T-top swaped in.
    1990 Mustang, 545 BBF, C-4 with brake, ladder bars.
    1983 Mustang, 1984 SVO Mustang
    1984 Mustang convertible, v6 swapped to 351
    1986 Mustang GT, 1989 Mustang GT convertible
    1992 Mustang coupe, 4 swapped to 302