Close

Default Smog pump making noise

I have a 86 GT. The smog pump pulley has a lot of movement. The original pump has 170,000 miles so I am sure it needs help. I do not have emissions testing where I live. I have read about smog pump eliminator pulley and bracket. After the pump is removed what else is required to block off the exhaust and to keep the motor running good. The car has all other smog devises in place and operating. NAPA has rebuilt pumps for $235 less my military discount.

I just picked one up for 157 on Amazon... It is cardone, so I can't imagine it is any different than the Napa version.

Thanks for your service!

I know this doesn't answer your question about what else you need to do in order to keep the car running well without the smog pump, but if everything is all in place and you're happy with how the car runs, I'd suggest putting in a new smog pump and leaving it all well enough alone. You'll still have your catalytic converter system installed, which needs the air in order to function properly, so I'd expect that to clog up before too long, then you'd need to remove them which means a new exhaust system. There are a number of threads on removing the smog system from the car, you'll want to do a search and look at a few. From what I've seen, the consensus is that in an otherwise stock setup you don't notice much difference in performance without it, and the exhaust will really start to stink (literally, not figuratively). One other thought...being on the West coast, you have stricter smog requirements all around you, and a car with the equipment in place will help that car maintain its value whenever you go to sell it.

Best of luck with it!

Matt those are all good points.

My car no longer needs to go through smog check.
    Still, I put on a rebuilt smog pump that I bought from Amazon.
    In fact, according to Amazon, I bought it on Feb 22 2017.

https://www.amazon.com/Cardone-32-29.../dp/B000C41KHG
    A1 Cardone
    Cardone 32-291 Remanufactured Smog Pump
    Price: $152.54

I run cats, and the cats are still fine. And, a smog pump doesn't take "a lot of HP". Yea, if you have a quarter mile car, it might mean ??0.05 seconds??. Ouch! ;-)
    Imho, in the street, I won't see any HP or fuel mileage difference.

Btw, the back bolt can be different diameters and threads. So, you'll want to use what comes with the smog pump. If it doesn't have the back bolt, before you install, check first that the bolt that you have is correct.

Good Luck!

Most cats don't even work after 30 years. I couldn't tell ya how many of my cars with 150+k miles either had nothing inside them, or the muffler was full of honey comb. My tbird is an 86 and had 130k miles on it when I bought it. There was honey comb jammed in the tail pipe.

If you replace the cats, almost none will even require the smog pump anyways.

My $.02, save the money. Don't bother with an eliminator kit and bypass the smog pump with a short belt.
    2 1986 cougars (both 4 eyed and 5.0)
    1 1987 cougar