Close

Thread: Detroit Muscle

Yes they keep doing mods to it. 1st seen with a 255 but now has stroker in it now I think. They did a sub frame and more underneath. Said it was a new episode in the info.

Yep, I'm enjoying following this. They're pitting it against an '84 Regal (another favorite of mine). Kind of like the Lightning vs. 454SS that Trucks did a few years ago. Fun stuff. I hope they don't do too much to the look of it. The last Fox Mustang they built, they ended up painting all the trim and stuff, and I don't like that look. Trim should be chrome or satin black, dammit!
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Quote Originally Posted by cb650 View Post
    Yes they keep doing mods to it. 1st seen with a 255 but now has stroker in it now I think. They did a sub frame and more underneath. Said it was a new episode in the info.
    Yeah it was a new episode this weekend, but the project did start back in February. You should be able to stream the past episodes....it's been in about 4-5 now. The biggest thing you missed prior to this weekend was the unveiling/cruising of the car, the engine bay detailing and the suspension changes. Based on the rendering of what they plan to do, there is quite a bit to come in body and paint work.
    Jason Smith
    MCA #65481

'82 Capri RS Resto-Mod
    '88 #400 Saleen Coupe "Mean Machine" Legal Guardian
    '93 LX Yellow/Black Summer Feature - 2,800 Mile Original Survivor (Foxtoberfest 2019 Best Original 87-93)
    '05 S-281 Mineral Grey

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrEFI View Post
    Yep, I'm enjoying following this. They're pitting it against an '84 Regal (another favorite of mine). Kind of like the Lightning vs. 454SS that Trucks did a few years ago. Fun stuff. I hope they don't do too much to the look of it. The last Fox Mustang they built, they ended up painting all the trim and stuff, and I don't like that look. Trim should be chrome or satin black, dammit!
    If you have not seen the rendering of it from when they unveiled the car, you are not going to be too happy. It is going to get highly resto-modded.
    Jason Smith
    MCA #65481

'82 Capri RS Resto-Mod
    '88 #400 Saleen Coupe "Mean Machine" Legal Guardian
    '93 LX Yellow/Black Summer Feature - 2,800 Mile Original Survivor (Foxtoberfest 2019 Best Original 87-93)
    '05 S-281 Mineral Grey

Yep. The final plan looks hideous to me. It's all what I call black primer from top to bottom but people that like it call it satin black. The look is identical so whatever. I hate entire cars PAINTED flat. If you don't have money to finish a project and you are rolling primer, that is certainly understandable. However I will never understand PAINTING something to look like rattle can primer.

Damn. Well, at least it's more Fox love.

And hot rod black has no place on any car newer than 1955. Unless it's just trim or graphics, obviously...

Isn't driving around in primer a really bad idea? My understanding is that primer is there to absorb what ever gets laid on top of it, hence it being used below paint to hold it in place. So, if you're driving your car in primer, and it gets rained on, won't it suck up the water immediately and cause your car to rust?!
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

I am not a huge fan of the flat look. It can look cool on the right car, but often just looks wrong IMHO.

As for the actual coating, it can be a black that has been shot with a Flattening agent that reduces the gloss. This allows the paint to hold up long term and not have the issues of an actual primer.

There are specific "Flat" or "Hot Rod Black" paints that spray as a Flat or Matte finish to give you the look.

There is also the option to wrap a car these days with a Flat or Matte wrap in virtually any color. This can be cool in that allows you to enjoy the "Look" for awhile, but then just peel it off when you get sick of it.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

They ended up doing a patina paint on it. Even with painted on rust spots. LOL

Well at least they kept it a 4 eye.

I love Powernation, BUT...they haven't done Fox Mustangs any favors. I could live with this 81 Cobra until they hacked the wheel wells to put on big flares. I understand they have to highlight sponsor products, but maybe they need more/different sponsors. My $.02.
    84 Capri RS Turbo
    Vinemont, AL (formerly El Mirage, AZ)
    USAF 1986-2007 (Ret)

I mean, I suppose. Foxes are common and cheap. The shame of it is, that car had the chance to look really nice with a bit more work, but that's not the direction they went. Like hotrod black, fake patina can be cool, depending on what you do it to, but on a "late model" car like that, it just looks like you have a sh*tty car. Who wants that?! Especially if you're spending money to paint it!

Changing the subject, I'm waiting for wraps to come out that are glossy. I'm pretty sure no such thing exists, but it would be a cool way to do a color change without breaking the bank, and without all the trouble it otherwise is. I've always loved the forest greens from around the '79 and '92 model years. Be fun to have mine that color for a while.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Not a huge fan of the overall direction of the Powernation Cobra, but it could be worse, so . . . .

Never been a huge fan of patina type paint, even when its real, except on old hot rods, rat rods, etc. But again to each is own. I have seen a couple of wraps in the patina that were pretty cool looking, but again just looks wrong on the later model cars since there is so much plastic, urethane, etc. that can't rust!

Name:  Rat Rod Mustang.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  42.8 KB

Name:  Rat Rod Mustang 2.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  46.0 KB

In regards to glossy wraps, all the manufacturers make glossy wraps in everything from solid colors, to carbon fiber, to holographic, etc. You just seem to see only the matt/satin ones on most of the vehicles today. I personally like Vivid Vinyls as do many others, but you can also check out 3m, Avery, Hexis, etc.

https://vvividshop.com/collections/a...1-finish_gloss
    ​Trey

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Haha, all that research I did paid off! Cool that it does exist though. The sheen on the sample pictures of wrapped cars seems to leave a bit to be desired, but probably no worse than the sheen on my car's paint.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

I dont like the flares. They belong on four wheel drives with big tires. I like nice shiny paint and silver wheels. Just my .02
    Current Mustangs
    1966 6 cylinder coupe
    1984 SVO 9W
    1985 Saleen #132

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrEFI View Post
    Haha, all that research I did paid off! Cool that it does exist though. The sheen on the sample pictures of wrapped cars seems to leave a bit to be desired, but probably no worse than the sheen on my car's paint.
    I have a sample book from Vivid, 3M, and Avery. They all have the gloss wraps. I also have some different gloss vinyl that I ordered for my 82 GT when I was going to wrap it, and I can guarantee that the sheen is very similar to normal gloss paint. Different colors/type of vinyl can affect how shiny the vinyl looks and/or how deep the vinyl looks. You can do things with vinyl that either can't be done or can't be done inexpensively with normal paint. Depending on what type/color of paint you want, there are advantages to paint and often still has a depth with certain colors that is hard to replicate with vinyl.

If you like to change the color of your car often, or just want to be different, but not permanent then vinyl has some awesome benefits.
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

FEP Senior Member

This is a satin finish. As Trey said, there are multiple gloss levels (matte, satin, or gloss, and custom options), and you can do any color imaginable since it's printed. You can add in the graphics as you like also. Wraps will hold up for years if you take care of them.

Attachment 124903
    Last edited by Basin Motorsports; 11-08-2018 at 09:55 AM.