Close

Question Question about selling an 84' GT turbo 2.3L convertible

Hey All!
    So I posted this over on Reddit and was pointed to this forum for some help.

My mom has an 84' GT Turbo 2.3L convertible she is looking to sell, but given the rarity of the car, we aren't sure how to price it or where to list it so it goes to someone who will appreciate the car for what it is.

The car itself has 70k miles, no rust (well little rust, it's a Michigan car), and minor scratches to finish. Always been stored inside under cover, annual oil changes.

I will try to get her to send me some pictures and post them, if that will help you guys point me in the right direction too.

Also, sorry if this is the wrong place for this sort of thing, I haven't been on the forums before, so mods please let me know if this should be someplace else.

Thanks in advance for any help!

FEP Power Member

While a rare car, not too many people are interested in them. Trust me I found one at an auction and another in a Pick n Pull. Both needed little work to put on the road.

This is one of the better. Sites for them.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

Quote Originally Posted by KevinK View Post
    While a rare car, not too many people are interested in them. Trust me I found one at an auction and another in a Pick n Pull. Both needed little work to put on the road.

This is one of the better. Sites for them.
    Spot on. Rare is not a synonym for valuable. Some things are rare for a reason....namely nobody wants one. The Pontiac Aztek is very rare. This is unfortunately not a desirable vehicle. If you include the word "rust" ANYWHERE in the condition regardless of how little, that car is doomed. And for the record. I spent $1,000s of dollars restoring a GT Turbo recently and I simply LOVE them. They are a blast to drive and you don't see yourself everywhere like you do with a 5.0....which I also own. My best guess with no pictures to go on would say $3,500-$4,500 with a big "IT DEPENDS" . There is no argument that an SVO is better in every way possible (unless the buyer wants a convertible specifically) and those tend to take forever to sell for $7,000-8,000.
    Last edited by homer302; 05-19-2018 at 06:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by homer302 View Post
    Spot on. Rare is not a synonym for valuable. Some things are rare for a reason....namely nobody wants one. The Pontiac Aztek is very rare. This is unfortunately not a desirable vehicle. If you include the word "rust" ANYWHERE in the condition regardless of how little, that car is doomed. And for the record. I spent $1,000s of dollars restoring a GT Turbo recently and I simply LOVE them. They are a blast to drive and you don't see yourself everywhere like you do with a 5.0....which I also own. My best guess with no pictures to go on would say $3,500-$4,500 with a big "IT DEPENDS" . There is no argument that an SVO is better in every way possible (unless the buyer wants a convertible specifically) and those tend to take forever to sell for $7,000-8,000.
    I only said may be some rust because I haven't seen the car in a year or two, when I saw it last there was none. I only mentioned rarity because it made it hard to find comps, but it sounds like it just another fox mustang, price it as such, appreciate the advice!

Also, only picture my mom had of it on her phone, she will snag some more later.

Thanks for you guidance!

MMmmm. That's a 9W Charcoal. Very nice color combination. It's had at least some paint work done. The hood should be flat black, not gloss. That doesn't hurt anything, just a comment.

Fearnot on here has one in very similar (appearing) condition but with a ton of tasteful mods on it like an intercooler, custom ECU and tune, suspension etc. so It's not an EXACT comparision. I believe he paid high $5,000s for it a year and a half ago. Not totally sure on that. Here is the ad for it

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...bo+convertible
    Last edited by homer302; 05-20-2018 at 04:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by homer302 View Post
    MMmmm. That's a 9W Charcoal. Very nice color combination. It's had at least some paint work done. The hood should be flat black, not gloss. That doesn't hurt anything, just a comment.
    Good Eye! The first week my mom had the car she was at my brothers little league game and a pop-foul flew behind the cage and smacked it in the hood, I recall her getting it fixed and they must have painted with wrong sheen hah.

That post is very helpful, exactly what I was looking for, also answers my other question of if the forums does classifieds, thanks a ton!

FEP Power Member

Nice picture. That’s also the more desirable 84.5 model with the fog lights. It would also have the quad shock rear end.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles