Close

Default 85-86 GT Front Seat Question

I have an 86 GT that has the front seats with a bar on the knee bolsters to pull it out. I recently purchased another interior that does not have them and looks like there is no provision for the bar. Not sure if either set has been recovered but did earlier seats not use the bar?
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by mrhockey; 05-19-2018 at 06:13 PM.

As far as I know I believe one style is for convertible and the other is for a hatch. The convertible seat does not recline all the way. The seat for the hatch will recline farther.

Which is funny because the seat would never decline any further even if the mechanism would let it because of the interior trim and convertible mechanics.

No comment on what they aren’t good for because of it. Lol.

I think something has been edited or removed from a post. I don't see anything in the original post about reclining at all. I want to say that actually the LATER seats just went to more of a "pocket" type place to put your hand and pull out the thigh bolster. I have a set of 84, 87 and also 90 sport seats at the house. I will check when I get home. I know my 84 GT350 had the metal handle as pictured in your post
    Last edited by homer302; 05-17-2018 at 10:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by homer302 View Post
    I think something has been edited or removed from a post. I don't see anything in the original post about reclining at all. I want to say that actually the LATER seats just went to more of a "pocket" type place to put your hand and pull out the thigh bolster. I have a set of 84, 87 and also 90 sport seats at the house. I will check when I get home. I know my 84 GT350 had the metal handle as pictured in your post
    That is correct I never asked about reclining just how the knee bolsters were set up to pull out. Thanks.

Lift up on the handle and pull out. They can be stubborn and you might have to wiggle them a little to get them out.

Quote Originally Posted by dagenham View Post
    Lift up on the handle and pull out. They can be stubborn and you might have to wiggle them a little to get them out.
    LOL. Nobody yet has been able to read the original question in post 1, haha. As you can tell, I forgot to check. Going to do so now and will update you shortly.

EDIT: My 84 1/2 sports seats have the metal handle as pictured. My 87 Sport seats just use a plastic "cup" that you put your hand in and my 1990 sport seats also have the plastic cup only and no handle.
    Last edited by homer302; 05-19-2018 at 05:30 PM.

So I am guessing my latest purchase with the plastic cup was from a newer model of seats. Pretty sure the 86s I have seen have the metal rod. The newer seats had better looking bolsters so I just swapped them out and put the metal handles on those. Thanks.

Glad you got it sorted out. I am starting to think this post is a "Yanny or Laurel" test, LOL. Nobody can read what it says..

Yeah that happens a lot. LOL. The bases and slides on the ones with the plastic pockets were super clean as well. I am having the better of my two sets of interiors cleaned as we speak and I have two seat backs to take to the upholstery shop as well as some extra cloth to see if he can make the driver's bucket seat a little nicer. What I don't use will be for sale.