Close

Default Help id'ing these pistons

Friend of mine just got a motor with 30,000 miles on it out of a 1987 Continental. The weird thing about the motor is it's an E7 block but has E6 heads on it. He's pretty sure it's never been taken apart. He removed the heads and these are the pistons in it. Just a round dish in the center. Name:  received_1864944226861759.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  75.9 KB
    Are these e6 pistons or something else? He's planning to use original GT40 heads( iron )and a TFS cam. He assembled the heads to the motor and using an 1/8 inch of play dough, he barely had any contact. Hopefully that will be enough clearance

Those are not E6 pistons. They do look like E87 slugs as they have a dish like that, but they did also get four valve reliefs. Is the cam a roller or flat tappet unit?
    HAD
    '82 GT monochromatic (red)...black cloth

HAVE
    '85 GT vert two tone (white on charcoal)...white leather
    '00 F350 two tone (white on silver)...gray cloth
    '00 Excursion Limited two tone (white on tan)...tan leather...wifes ride
    '08 Taurus Limited ice blue...tan leather...daughter ride
    '08 Edge Limited white sand tri-coat metallic...tan leather...other daughters ride

They look like the same no valve reliefs "86" (a reference people use, a Mustang reference, not a Ford reference) pistons I've ever seen. Rock Auto lists the same (cast) "recessed head", with no valve reliefs, replacement pistons for both '86 Mustang and '87 Lincoln Continental.
    Mike
    1986 Mustang convertible ---> BUILD THREAD
    Past Fox-chassis "four eyes":
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1986 Ford Thunderbird ELAN
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Work in progress website ---> http://carb-rebuilds-plus.boards.net/

I didn't think the E6 pistons had the dish like the E7's with valve reliefs, but rather a true flat top like the E5's without valve reliefs. Anyway, if they are stock slugs you should see a forward notch, the FORD oval insignia, and a part number on them. You can make these out on the top portion of the face of the pistons in the attached picture of the original factory stock short block in my 85 GT vert.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    HAD
    '82 GT monochromatic (red)...black cloth

HAVE
    '85 GT vert two tone (white on charcoal)...white leather
    '00 F350 two tone (white on silver)...gray cloth
    '00 Excursion Limited two tone (white on tan)...tan leather...wifes ride
    '08 Taurus Limited ice blue...tan leather...daughter ride
    '08 Edge Limited white sand tri-coat metallic...tan leather...other daughters ride