Close

Default Eleven Inch Rotors

I just ordered a pair of front eleven inch rotors for my seventy nine Zephyr. What do I need in terms of calipers and brackets? Will my existing ten inch calipers fit?
    Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Assuming these 11" rotors are for a 87-93 5.0 mustang you will need 87-93 5.0 spindles and calipers.

Jess
    Previously owned;
    1979 Mustang, v6 swapped to EFI 393, custom installed m122 blower, 4r70w trans, Megasquirt II, T-top swaped in.
    1990 Mustang, 545 BBF, C-4 with brake, ladder bars.
    1983 Mustang, 1984 SVO Mustang
    1984 Mustang convertible, v6 swapped to 351
    1986 Mustang GT, 1989 Mustang GT convertible
    1992 Mustang coupe, 4 swapped to 302

My plan is to leave the existing spindles (79 Zephyr) in place. What calipers fit these spindles using an eleven inch rotor? And, will I need a special bracket to make them fit?

Pretty sure you're stuck with the stock 10" rotors/calipers unless you change spindles as mentioned above.

The old spindle has a different taper (I think) than the 87+ V8 spindle, so the 11" rotor prob wont even fit the old spindle. Just getting a bigger rotor doesn't accomplish much.
    84 Capri RS Turbo
    Vinemont, AL (formerly El Mirage, AZ)
    USAF 1986-2007 (Ret)

You're going to need 15" wheels. The caliper for an 11" rotor binds against a 14" wheel. Been there, done that.

Ok, got it. In order to make use of my eleven inch rotors I need to buy 87-93 spindles and calipers.
    Thanks!

FEP Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ratchet1 View Post
    Ok, got it. In order to make use of my eleven inch rotors I need to buy 87-93 spindles and calipers.
    Thanks!
    Just to clarify and reiterate what was already said; you need 87-93 V8 spindles.
    '89 XR-7 5 Speed
    '95 SC 5 Speed
    '91 Crown Vic P72 351W
    '97 Thunderbird
    '85 Ford LTD Squire

Quote Originally Posted by KevinVarnes View Post
    Just to clarify and reiterate what was already said; you need 87-93 V8 spindles.
    I'll look for a set of V8 spindles. Thanks

1987-88 Thunderbird TurboCoupe spindles will also work. They are the same as 1987-93 Mustang 5.0L spindles.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

You will also need brake hoses, and banjo bolts and washers, for those 1987-93 Mustang 5.0L calipers. Your old hoses will not work. You may or may not have to file out the brake hose bracket on the frame.

If your existing struts are not "universal" for 1979-93, i.e. the upper mounting holes are not slotted, then you will also need a set of struts specifically for 1987-93 Mustang 5.0L or a set of "universal" struts that will also come with spacers, with you will need to use. OR you can slot your existing struts mounting brackets and use four 1/8" washers per struts
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

I know the dust has settled on this thread for a while. The answers above are accurate and widely accepted yet not entirely the only answer.

I believe you could also use an 82-83 Continental or 84-86 SVO spindle with a Maximum Motorsports balljoint shim and an SN95 balljoint.

The advantage of this part over the 87-93 V8 spindle is that it also improves the steering Ackerman.

Carry on with the 4 lug 87-93 rotors. Use mustang/tbird 60MM calipers. The 75’s used by misc other cars like the SVO are designed for use with a different rear brake setup and going to 75’s without the other changes hurts braking performance vastly

I ended up getting a pair of 89 spindles, 5 lug rotors/hubs and calipers off of a Saleen. The spindles cleaned up great, the rotors need to be replaced and I plan on rebuilding the calipers.

Quote Originally Posted by Ratchet1 View Post
    I ended up getting a pair of 89 spindles, 5 lug rotors/hubs and calipers off of a Saleen. The spindles cleaned up great, the rotors need to be replaced and I plan on rebuilding the calipers.
    What happened to the Saleen?
    84 Capri RS Turbo
    Vinemont, AL (formerly El Mirage, AZ)
    USAF 1986-2007 (Ret)