Close

Default General question, do you cover your plate in pics?

If so, why? From what I understand, unless you have access to DMV records (like a cop) you cannot find any info...

Just curious

Exactly. I don't and have never understood while people do it.

Mike

I don't cover mine everyone can see it while driving anyway.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

^^^ I agree ^^^ I have never felt a need to cover up!

I was never sure what the issue is. I did for a while, but then I got lazy.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

A search on the subject did reveal there are legit ways to get info from plates.
    Plates can be seen publicly or in the media.

There always will be paranoia created by whatever reasons or from ?? sources.
    "-strikes deep" (verse from song: 'For What It's Worth'- Buffalo Springfield 1966)
    Seen on tv. Censorship. Not knowing the real reason, procedure is copied (M_see, M_ do).
    Funny how when an item is blanked out, more focus is on the bigger picture.

Blanking is a way of being prudent, out of habit, to cover up numbers one does not wish to share.
    Times have changed. Plate is perceived as a possible source for identity theft, real or not.

Personal numbers are a link to regular, private, or sensitive information, whether in private or public.
    May be direct or indirect links.
    ATM pin, keyless door lock codes, combination lock code, pc passwords.
    Unlisted phone numbers, do not call lists, ss number, accounts, others.

Why nonchalantly or intentionally advertise a personal assigned plate to the internet world?
    For pro car thieves to find out where you live and steal the Ferrari or worse? Or stalkers?
    Seeing a plate on the internet may tempt someone to mess with things just to do it.

Steve Jobs felt no need for plates:
    https://www.theatlantic.com/technolo...-plate/336221/

https://movies.stackexchange.com/que...google_rich_qa
    "One would not want to fall victim of a failure of imagination.
    Even if no one right now could come up with a malicious use for a license plate number,
    that doesn't mean someone won't come up with one in the future. Better safe than sorry. "
    Last edited by gr79; 05-12-2018 at 01:25 PM.

If I were selling something on craigslist, I wouldn't meet at my house, I would meet in public. I think some people feel that way so they don't want to give people a way to find out their address, UNLESS they want them to.
    1985 GT, Sunroof, 5 Lug, Rear Discs, 01 Graphite Bullets, 88 forged piston shortblock, 2.02/1.60 Alum heads, Weiand Stealth, Holley C950 TBI, BBK Long tubes

Better question is do you strip GPS info from your pictures.

I did a write up on this several years ago when I worked for FishNet Security. They merged with Accuvant and became Optiv after I departed.

Heres my article:
    https://www.optiv.com/blog/what-is-g...nd-your-assets

I've never felt the need to cover my plate in pics since it's right there for anybody to see every time I drive the car. Seems a little paranoid to me. Maybe if you have some uberexpensive vehicle it would make more sense, but even then I'm not sure why.
    408/T5/3.73's

We're not fast racers, we're more what's known as half fast racers.

Every time you leave your house 100s or maybe 1,000s of people can see your plate depending on how far you drive. I have always laughed at people who post ads with their thumb over the tag. Ridiculous.
    Last edited by homer302; 05-14-2018 at 08:14 AM.

It has become common knowledge that by showing your license plate on Craigslist or in any picture will get you killed. Even worst it could possibly get your very valuable 1971 Ford Pinto ripped off and then you will be out $200.00 for the price of the car. So here is what you need to do to avoid murder from the "Craigslist License Plate Killer".

When taking pictures strategically place your thumb or index finger in the picture to hide the license plate or completely remove the plate and put it in a safe and lock it up. If you don't have a safe you can buy one at Cabela's for a $1000.00 dollars. Trust me a $1000.00 dollars is a small price to pay to keep you safe from the Craigslist License Plate Killer.

I am thankful to see the overly cautious and paranoid people on Craigslist using their finger to keep their family safe from the Craigslist License Plate Killer. I know saying paranoid is a strong word to use but seriously is it paranoia if the Craigslist License Plate Killer is really looking for your license plate so he can kill you or even worst steal that pristine Foxbody Mustang you want $500.00 dollars for?

Here is another very good tip. When placing an ad on Craigslist use a fake telephone number because there is a new maniac on the loose he is.........."The Craigslist Phone Number Killer"! He will use the internet to find out where you live by using your phone number so never put your correct phone number in the ad or you will be sorry.

If by some chance someone off Craigslist is able to make contact with you and tells you he is interested in buying the car you have for sale give him a fake address and immediately call the Police and inform the Police that you have caught the Craigslist License Plate Killer. YOU will be a HERO and Fox news will interview you about your bravery.

My main concern is Alice at the DMV. She has total access to my license plate number, phone number, home address and I just don't trust her....at all! Could the "Craigslist License Plate Killer" possibly be a woman???? After all Alice does have those "Beedy" eyes that have always made me wonder!

Be safe out there and know that the Craigslist License Plate Killer is just waiting for some naive person to screw up and show his license plate on Craigslist. Don't let that person be you.

If you flag this PSA you either hate America or you are the Craigslist License Plate Killer!

And you probably Hate Bacon too.
    Last edited by vintageracer; 05-14-2018 at 09:51 AM.
    Mike
    Remember, "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts!"

1995 Ford Powerstroke F350 "Centurion" STRETCHED Crew Cab Dually

I like "Cut & Coach Built" vehicles!

www.musclecardeals.com

Quote Originally Posted by vintageracer View Post
    It has become common knowledge that by showing your license plate on Craigslist or in any picture will get you killed. Even worst it could possibly get your very valuable 1971 Ford Pinto ripped off and then you will be out $200.00 for the price of the car. So here is what you need to do to avoid murder from the "Craigslist License Plate Killer".

When taking pictures strategically place your thumb or index finger in the picture to hide the license plate or completely remove the plate and put it in a safe and lock it up. If you don't have a safe you can buy one at Cabela's for a $1000.00 dollars. Trust me a $1000.00 dollars is a small price to pay to keep you safe from the Craigslist License Plate Killer.

I am thankful to see the overly cautious and paranoid people on Craigslist using their finger to keep their family safe from the Craigslist License Plate Killer. I know saying paranoid is a strong word to use but seriously is it paranoia if the Craigslist License Plate Killer is really looking for your license plate so he can kill you or even worst steal that pristine Foxbody Mustang you want $500.00 dollars for?

Here is another very good tip. When placing an ad on Craigslist use a fake telephone number because there is a new maniac on the loose he is.........."The Craigslist Phone Number Killer"! He will use the internet to find out where you live by using your phone number so never put your correct phone number in the ad or you will be sorry.

If by some chance someone off Craigslist is able to make contact with you and tells you he is interested in buying the car you have for sale give him a fake address and immediately call the Police and inform the Police that you have caught the Craigslist License Plate Killer. YOU will be a HERO and Fox news will interview you about your bravery.

My main concern is Alice at the DMV. She has total access to my license plate number, phone number, home address and I just don't trust her....at all! Could the "Craigslist License Plate Killer" possibly be a woman???? After all Alice does have those "Beedy" eyes that have always made me wonder!

Be safe out there and know that the Craigslist License Plate Killer is just waiting for some naive person to screw up and show his license plate on Craigslist. Don't let that person be you.

If you flag this PSA you either hate America or you are the Craigslist License Plate Killer!

And you probably Hate Bacon too.

Lol, good one