Close

Default Functional ram air scoops???

Has anyone converted their hood scoops to functional ? And what does that consist of

Since I have an '85, it has factory snorkels underneath the car that pick up cold air. I'm thinking that is probably just as effective as a functional hood scoop.....If yours doesn't have this, might be an easy upgrade.

I notice your name....Are you part of the Portuguese tribe - I'm Joe Ferreira. Parents were from the homeland.

I am Portuguese, my family is from California

Which hood scoop are you referring to? There have been several styles from 79-86

Name:  Screenshot_20180509-131109_Gallery.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  41.1 KB it's a 79 capri rs

I've always removed the trim piece in the front of the scoop. I don't think that you will get much of a ram air affect though. Air hits the front of the car and bounces up. It would have to be much larger to be effective. Can't hurt to let some heat out of the engine compartment though. That's why I did it.

Jess
    Previously owned;
    1979 Mustang, v6 swapped to EFI 393, custom installed m122 blower, 4r70w trans, Megasquirt II, T-top swaped in.
    1990 Mustang, 545 BBF, C-4 with brake, ladder bars.
    1983 Mustang, 1984 SVO Mustang
    1984 Mustang convertible, v6 swapped to 351
    1986 Mustang GT, 1989 Mustang GT convertible
    1992 Mustang coupe, 4 swapped to 302

As already stated, I think you will be better off using the 83-85 5.0 HO 4bbl air cleaner and air tubes in the inner fenders. That will duct cooler outside air directly into the intake.

If you choose to open the hood scoop you will want to seal the air cleaner to the hood to get the most benefit from the "ram air". Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

22 years ago as an 18 year old (moron) I hacked the hood on my 83 Turbo Rs Capri to get airflow to a Turbo Coupe intercooler that I added. I made ducting to make the intercooler receive the flow and not just have the air generally dumping in the engine bay. It's ugly and I'm looking for another hood to use since I cut this one up so badly. It looks fine from the outside but with the hood open it looks bad bad bad.

im also planning a front mount intercooler to make it no longer necessary .

Ram air on any car is optics at best. The speed you need to be travelling to achieve any measurable effect is beyond reasonable or realistic. As Trey stated, cold air intake is a much better bang for the buck and easier to do.

"Ram air" was a term that Ford used to make their hoodscoops sound even better. At best it may allow a little bit of cooler air to get to the air cleaner and into the carb. The aerodynamics of most cars pushes air up and over top most hood scoops and completely misses the opening unless you have something about 12 inches high.
    As stated above, get an H.O. Aircleaner and fresh air tubes.

When I dynoed my 82 RS Capri basically stock (crate motor 306) we noticed that it was becoming air starved around 4500 RPM. Just talking the cover of the factory HO Snorkel air cleaner added 10 HP

Quote Originally Posted by BMW Rider View Post
    Ram air on any car is optics at best. The speed you need to be travelling to achieve any measurable effect is beyond reasonable or realistic. As Trey stated, cold air intake is a much better bang for the buck and easier to do.
    Any method to get colder air will be beneficial, but back before I boosted my car, I did what I could to get a better quarter mile out of my car. I made a sheet metal ram air scoop that I put under the radiator support and used dryer duct to route it to the fuel injection air filter box - it was good for 0.2 seconds and 2 mph in the quarter. Unfortunately, I did have to get it re-made a couple of times a summer due to steep driveways - doh!

I installed a March ram air on my wife's 91 years ago. It's still there. We did notice a difference in the seat o the pants dyno when it was done. But that is under the car not over

Quote Originally Posted by devittjl View Post
    When I dynoed my 82 RS Capri basically stock (crate motor 306) we noticed that it was becoming air starved around 4500 RPM. Just talking the cover of the factory HO Snorkel air cleaner added 10 HP
    Yeah those dual snorkels air cleaners were quite a bit smaller than the 83-85 models, with a smaller filter too.

Cale

just flip the air filter cover its free power!
    2017 Ford Explorer Sport (DD) 1986 Capri 5.0 Silver/Red
    1969 Falcon XW GTHO coupe (SOLD) went to Australia
    Past 4 eyes-
    4th. 1981 Capri "White" Black Magic I6
    3rd. 1984 Capri RS V8 Black/grey
    2nd. 1984 Capri RS V8 White/red
    1st. 1984 SVO Grey/grey (traded it for a worn out 1970 BOSS 302)
    Both '84 Capri's vin# were 10 away from each other
    U.S. NAVY 1980-2009

Blog Entries

I did it with the '83 hood. I had to, due to space requirements and having no desire for a cowl hood.
    Name:  20160530_142514.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  83.5 KB
    Name:  20160530_142616.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  66.8 KB
    Name:  20160530_143001.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  64.3 KB
    1983 Mustang G.T. No-option stripper- I like strippers.
    5.0, GT40P heads, Comp Cams XE270HR-12 on 1.6 rockers, TFI spring kit, Weiand 174 blower, Holley 750 mechanical secondarys, Mishimoto radiator, Edelbrock street performer mechanical pump, BBK shortys, T-5 conversion, 8.8 rear, 3.73 gears, carbon fiber clutches, SS Machine lowers, Maximum Motorsport XL subframes, "B" springs.