Close

Default Stained White Vinyl Seat

Finally got the car out over the weekend and my wife's shirt stained the brand new vinyl seat. It has black specks all over it that won't come off. So far I've tried Griots interior cleaner, LA's totally awesome cleaner, and comet with bleach. No success at all with any of those. I've been able to clean these with with the Griots cleaner every other time they've had any marks. Anyone have any ideas or tips? Thanks in advance. Mike

Name:  IMG_20180507_200548.jpg
Views: 274
Size:  69.4 KB
    Name:  IMG_20180507_200523.jpg
Views: 270
Size:  62.8 KB

FEP Power Member

Magic eraser! I have always used Tuff Stuff previously with good luck.

Last resort Whestlys Bleach White White Wall Cleaner.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

Are you still married to her??
    i would try the mr clean magic eraser or wesleys bleach too

Thanks guys. I'll give some of these ideas a shot and report back. I think I have some goof off and a magic eraser around someplace...

Dr Vinyl is the call I’d make.

Update: I tried many things and have had no luck at all so far. Goo gone, goof off, brake cleaner, comet, magic eraser, Griots interior cleaner and LA's totally awesome. No results from anything. Up next is bleach and probably hydrogen peroxide (hair developer 40).

You have a steamer?

Whatever ends up working make sure to condition the material after all of this testing.

I have had good success with Soft Scrub...it has a little bleach in it. Wax on...wax off...
    HAD
    '82 GT monochromatic (red)...black cloth

HAVE
    '85 GT vert two tone (white on charcoal)...white leather
    '00 F350 two tone (white on silver)...gray cloth
    '00 Excursion Limited two tone (white on tan)...tan leather...wifes ride
    '08 Taurus Limited ice blue...tan leather...daughter ride
    '08 Edge Limited white sand tri-coat metallic...tan leather...other daughters ride

Carb cleaner. That was the only thing that got a nasty stain out of my white seats.
    84 LX Vert. 5.0 5speed canyon red on white
    99 cobra, electric green on medium parchment, vortech s-trim

I need a picture of whatever she was wearing. Not her (please don't think I meant that) but a picture of the material. I have never heard of this. Vinyl is the most durable material for interiors that there has ever been. You said they were new seat covers, have you contacted the manufacturer of the vinyl? I am suspecting that the vinyl is not "stained" but rather that her shirt rubbed off the "white" that was on it. That's why it won't clean. Very sorry to read this. I am sure you are frustrated.

FEP Member

X2 on soft scrub

I will give the soft scrub a try. I have to try to find that shirt she was wearing but it was just a black T-shirt. Had never been washed before so whatever dye that they used must have just rubbed on to the seats. There doesn't appear to be any physical damage to the vinyl at all but it sure won't come off. The upholstery was from TMI, I haven't talked to them yet.

Got some ideas from the boating world. Ask the Skipper, The Hull Truth, etc.
    Lots of white seats and dye problems. Bathing suits, blue jean shorts, blue walmart bags, towels.
    Got some cool vintage vinyl slat lawn chairs that need cleaning too.

In addition to products mentioned some try:
    Dawn/vinegar, Windex with ammonia, rubbing alcohol, citrus cleaners, baking soda.
    Mineral spirits, Hydrogen Peroxide, mechanics hand cleaner, boat vinyl cleaner, Barkeepers Friend.
    Cream of Tarter/lemon juice, toothpaste.

No acetone, toluene. Damages vinyl. Straight bleach may discolor white into yellow. Soft scrub prob ok.

90% iso rubbing alcohol removes black sharpie and pen ink off most items, sticky seam sealer off fingers.

FEP Senior Member

Yep, I was going to mention the hand cleaner too. Works great on getting stains out of cloths. Might work on the vinyl.
    Bleed Ford Blue! '84 Grabber Orange SVO, '88 Saleen 1 of 4 w/Automatic, '89 Steeda, '71 DeTomaso Pantera GT5 Wide Body EFI 4.6 DOHC...soon to be a Gen3 Coyote and some Old Ford Muscle w/ BB power. 1.21 Jigawatts!!?? PETRO EXPRESS=CITGO=BOYCOTT!
    State of Illinois - Taxation without Representation!

Gojo soap is another idea.

ideally you’d have a scrap of material you could violate in the same way and experiment on until you get something figured out.

I agree that this looks like a defect in the vinyl and the white actually came off. Did you look at her shirt after this happened to see if there were white stains on the shirt to confirm or deny this theory?
    Jason Smith
    MCA #65481

'82 Capri RS Resto-Mod
    '88 #400 Saleen Coupe "Mean Machine" Legal Guardian
    '93 LX Yellow/Black Summer Feature - 2,800 Mile Original Survivor (Foxtoberfest 2019 Best Original 87-93)
    '05 S-281 Mineral Grey

You might try looking at it up close with a powerful magnifying glass to see if it is stained by the shirt, or if the top of the vinyl has been removed from the white surface.
    If it is stained, dab and hold a rag with hydrogen peroxide in one area for a few seconds to see (with the magnifying glass) if it appears to remove any of the problem spot.
    Ron
    I never seem to get the nut that holds the steering wheel fixed

Agree that there may be an issue with the vinyl coming off. If not, check 303 products. They make a lot of vinyl cleaning and protecting products. I personally have used their convertible top cleaner and it works pretty great, but if none of that other stuff worked, I don't want to tell you to run out and buy it. But their products are great for regular cleaning and UV protection.
    1985 Mustang GT Convertible
    Stock and original @ 213k, except for dynomax ultraflos.

It doesn't appear to be damaged, just stained. The shirt stained her tank top that was under it as well. Haven't gotten a chance to mess with it again yet, been busy dealing with a leaking heater hose and subsequently damaging the heater core when removing it .

Quote Originally Posted by 83glxvert View Post
    It doesn't appear to be damaged, just stained. The shirt stained her tank top that was under it as well. Haven't gotten a chance to mess with it again yet, been busy dealing with a leaking heater hose and subsequently damaging the heater core when removing it .
    Ugh, been there done that. Had that happen in January. Just a tip...I put some JB Weld on the joint where the tube meets the heater core body. Figured it can't hurt. Maybe worth it before installing the new one or take it to someone to weld for extra strength.

Edit: just thought of something else...not sure if mentioned already, but check the tag on the shirt that left the stain and maybe call the manufacturer. They may tell you what solvent to use to remove the dye.
    Last edited by 85stanggt; 06-06-2018 at 09:56 AM.
    1985 Mustang GT Convertible
    Stock and original @ 213k, except for dynomax ultraflos.

Bypass the heater and enjoy the summer!

What's this "heater" you all speak of? Mine have been bypassed for years
    Jason Smith
    MCA #65481

'82 Capri RS Resto-Mod
    '88 #400 Saleen Coupe "Mean Machine" Legal Guardian
    '93 LX Yellow/Black Summer Feature - 2,800 Mile Original Survivor (Foxtoberfest 2019 Best Original 87-93)
    '05 S-281 Mineral Grey