A few days ago my son’s daily started abruptly quitting on him. after leaving it sit it would fire right up and run then after a little while die again.

we had replaced the distributor, cap, rotor, pip, etc with Duralast parts this winter when it had a no start issue where I believe the pip had failed.

the car had been running like ****, down on power, stinking of over fuel, getting hot, etc, recently.

I initially thought coil because it’s original and is the only part that had not been replaced. The one on my 1/2 million mile car is still fine but what the heck, try it.

well — it didn’t fix it. The coil wire was corroded though so throw a new one on too. No change.

I decided today that since the replacement module was a Duralast and not a wells or Motorcraft that I did not trust it. Swapped it out using new thermal paste of course and put the old one back in.

I noticed that the rotor looked like **** even though it was near new. It wasn’t making proper contact as the metal was not formed correctly. Upon an examination of several new Duralast rotors, all the same.

so in went the old motorcraft.

Well, set the timing at 13.5 where she likes it and off we went. Temps back down, no smoke or stink, every pony accounted for it seems. Hell, we even ran the AC in 85 degree weather and it stayedcnice and cool for a change....

just a reminder. Certain parts are touchy. Modules and rotors are known for this.

hopefully it saves someone else some time along the way.