Close

Default Painting hood stripe

For those of you who have painted a hood stripe on a black 85/86, what color was the GT cutout? Going to try to match the stripe with the charcoal trim but would like the best match for the cutout as well

Thanks,
    Matt
    Previous:
    79 Notchback
    86 GT
    93 GT Convertible

Current:
    86 GT Convertible

I've never painted one but I think all the factory ones I remember seeing on the black cars was silver.

Brant

Argent silver is a common color used on Ford cars. Steel wheels, 70's Mach 1 paint, decals, fox GT decals.
    Kind of like a flat, dull silver or aluminum color. May look better on or with flat or matte black.
    Silver paint can vary, being bright or have metallic in it.

If I'm not mistaken, in 1985 they started using a decal as the blackout stripe on the hood, and you can buy it. They were painted until 1984, and you needed to add the "GT" decal on top of the paint.

Yes, they have decals they used for 85/86, I have one. I’m going ahead and painting so I’d like to find the color equivalent to the decal so I can paint the cutout
    Previous:
    79 Notchback
    86 GT
    93 GT Convertible

Current:
    86 GT Convertible

FEP Member

this is one option.i just did mine.
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...42#post1880142

Black cars had a solid hood decal no cut out. They used a silver GT decal. If the hood stripe will be painted on paint it solid and don't use the GT stencil. Then you can put the silver decal over the paint. If you try to paint the silver inside the cut out odds are you will not be happy with the result. If you are going to paint the silver then color match it to the Mustang GT decal on the trunk. A good paint shop should be able to color match the silver. kfxmatt painted his on he's got the correct color gray. You could do the same as him eliminate the cut out and put on the silver decal.

Thanks everyone. Does anyone have a black car who has done this and a picture as to how it came out? Or even an original black car with the correct decal setup to use as a guide
    Last edited by Matt1986gt; 05-07-2018 at 07:09 AM.
    Previous:
    79 Notchback
    86 GT
    93 GT Convertible

Current:
    86 GT Convertible

Name:  IMG_0063.JPG
Views: 174
Size:  136.2 KB
    This is the best picture I have at the moment. Gray is painted on with SEM out of a gun. Silver is a NOS decal. Dimensions taken from my wife's 86 which has a NOS hood decal installed on it. Matt you have been chasing this down for a while trust me this is the way to go. You can ask eeprete. My friend painted his Capri. We also repainted the hood on my 69 a different layout but the same idea.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Redlordamazon; 05-07-2018 at 07:30 AM.

FEP Member

Quote Originally Posted by Redlordamazon View Post
    This is the best picture I have at the moment. Gray is painted on with SEM out of a gun. Silver is a NOS decal. Dimensions taken from my wife's 86 which has a NOS hood decal installed on it. Matt you have been chasing this down for a while trust me this is the way to go. You can ask eeprete. My friend painted his Capri. We also repainted the hood on my 69 a different layout but the same idea.
    how was sem sprayed with a gun?they dont make charcoal 39153 in quarts.i researched it to death and they dont make it.only in bumper coater black is a quart available.i wanted to do it on mine because i used sem in cans on my trim,but didnt want to do the hood with a can.so i had to seek a alternative route

My friend got it from his supplier. This was a couple years ago. I will pull the can out and take a picture when I get a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Redlordamazon View Post
    Thanks, do you have an overhead shot of the hood? I’d like to take it to show to the body shop
    Previous:
    79 Notchback
    86 GT
    93 GT Convertible

Current:
    86 GT Convertible

All done!Name:  3C8E8734-D5EC-45E8-98D5-1D16FA39FFB4.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  99.7 KB
    Previous:
    79 Notchback
    86 GT
    93 GT Convertible

Current:
    86 GT Convertible

Quote Originally Posted by ddx77 View Post
    That looks amazing! Congrats! Mine is painted and I am not crazy about the color. You've motivated me to shoot mine over.
    Thank you Drew. Took a few tries but it’s finally done. Looking forward to seeing it in person and bringing her home
    Previous:
    79 Notchback
    86 GT
    93 GT Convertible

Current:
    86 GT Convertible

Looks great!

Very nice!