Close

Default Surprise in mail

Got a surprise in the mail yesterday from the United States District Court. I've been selected for jury duty participation and had to fill out a questionnaire online. I served on the county level many years ago for a trial but never this level.

I've been selected twice, both times at the county level. But I never got called in. It certainly disrupts your life.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrEFI View Post
    I've been selected twice, both times at the county level. But I never got called in. It certainly disrupts your life.
    I could have opted out because I'm over 70 but I feel it is my civic duty and plus I'm retired. The only drawback is the location is about 60 miles from my home.

FEP Power Member

The closest I've ever come to jury duty was entering the courtroom while the attorneys started questioning prospective jurors.
    I don't recall how they chose to arrange us. But 3 of the first 5 potential jurors knew either the defendant, victim or arresting officer. I believe it was some sort of assault case.
    They went to recess and told us to go on lunch break. When we returned, we were told we were done as a plea deal had been reached.

I have a similar experience only we wasted 2 whole days for a trial. It was for the county. We spent 2 days listening to testimony etc. We went to lunch and then were supposed to go deliberate on a verdict afterwards. But when we got back from lunch we were told a deal had been reached and we could leave. Rather anti-climactic I thought!

I've been called once for the county and got out of it because I knew the judge. I've been called 3 time for the tribe but unfortunately never been picked. Wish I had as the tribe pays your actual wages....
    If you blink at the end of the straight away you'll miss the twisties and what fun would that be!
    1982 Capri RS 5.0L
    Suspension Build http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...tion-and-Build
    1985 SVO 2A & leather. Stolen & Destroyed 2022
    Motor Build http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?t=63505
    Dyno stats and exhaust install http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...Dyno-d-finally
    My FMIC build http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...-amp-D-project
    Electronic boost controller and bypass valve
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...d-Bypass-Valve
    Opperation SVO Tunes http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...51#post1148551

Wife loves watching date line and 20 20. Then she got called for a murder trial. 3 weeks later. She cried most every night. At least she got like 11 bucks an hour for it. And then had to work all night so she could stay up on work, as she was the manager for several branches. It was very hard on her. I got placed one time, but once they found out I knew the officers the defendant and the the plaintiff the attorneys the weren't interested in me. I took the rest of the day off anyhow

I've served twice at the county level. The first time we heard the prosecutions case then were dismissed as a plea had been accepted before the defense even called any witnesses. I guess they wanted to see how strong a case the prosecution had, and when it looked solid they took the plea. I know I thought the state had a good case, but then I never heard the defense side of it.

The second time we went all the way through and found the defendant guilty. Again I thought the state had a strong case and the defense was weak. The main witness for the prosecution was a state cop who was very professional and creditable on the stand while a couple of the defense witnesses told stories that weren't very believable at all. There was only one juror who wavered a bit before voting with the rest of us for a guilty verdict.

I found the experience very interesting as it's a lot different than what's portrayed on TV.
    408/T5/3.73's

We're not fast racers, we're more what's known as half fast racers.

FEP Power Member

Quote Originally Posted by mmb617 View Post
    I've served twice at the county level. The first time we heard the prosecutions case then were dismissed as a plea had been accepted before the defense even called any witnesses. I guess they wanted to see how strong a case the prosecution had, and when it looked solid they took the plea. I know I thought the state had a good case, but then I never heard the defense side of it.
    To find that out, they didn't have to go to trial. The discovery process means the defense gets to see everything the prosecution has before that point. I'm guessing that the defense wanted to see how the jurors would react to what the prosecution presented. Then went to plea when they didn't like how you guys were reacting.

I got called for 'Grand Jury' last June but wasn't chosen to serve. Oh well. I'm good for another 6 years.
    '85GT Bright Atlantic Blue
    '92LX Bimini Blue-sold
    '93 COBRA Teal Metallic-sold
    '86SVO Oxford White-sold
    '86GT 'Vert True Blue-sold
    '81'GT' Medium Red-sold