Close

Default 1985 Mustang Body Side Molding

I am removing the body side moldings for repaint, I got the rubber ones off fine but the hard ones in front of the fender and on the quarter panel seem a bit tougher. I do not want to break them. Are they applied using the same double sided tape? Anyone have a tip to get them off without breaking them?

Thannks
    Brant

The front and rear body side moldings that match up to the front and rear bumpers are not held on by double sided tape. They are actually bolted on to the vehicle. You will need to get under the car up front or remove the inner fender liner to get to the nuts that hold the front moldings in place.

The rear quarter moldings you will need to go thru the hatch or the trunk to gain access to the nuts. The verts and coupes aren't too bad as you can see the studs and hardware right there on either side. The passenger side with the fuel filler is a PITA. The hatchbacks are more of a pain as you will need to remove the rear interior panels and at least loosen the interior quarter panel to get to the nuts to remove the moldings. Good luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Thanks Trey, I already got the inner quarters out as I removed the sail panels. After removing the rear seat and interior quarter panels to get to the sail panels I wondered if it was worth it. Anyway, next question. Some of the screws that thread into the sail panels came out of the sail panels. What is best way to put them back in without boogering the inside threads?

Thanks
    Brant

I generally use either an epoxy or 2 part urethane adhesive to glue the studs back into the sail panels. If the threads are in good shape, there's not much of an issue. If the threads are stripped or worn out, then I use a bit more adhesive and make sure that the stud is seated all the way down flush on the pad of the mounting bosses when installing them. You can also do a quick test fit of the panel to make sure the studs line up with the holes in the quarter panel. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Thanks Trey, I appreciate the info.

Brant

Also be careful with the end moldings. The studs are plastic and easily broken when loosening the tinner nuts