Close

Threaded View

FEP Member

Default Ten hole rims, not many tire options left

Hey guys, I'm having a really hard time finding some decent performance tires for these wheels. Many of the options listed in the old threads are discontinued. I looked into the Vredestein Sportrac 5s, but only place that seems to carry them is a place called tiresbyweb.com that I have never heard of. $143 each. I left an email with Tire Rack as others have done in the past, but I haven't heard anything back. In sporty-ish all seasons, Kuhmo Ecstas and Cooper CS5 Ultra Touring are still available. I had the Kuhmos on my last Mustang, and traction was acceptable but not great. Launching was tricky, and I could do rolling no-clutch burnouts in 1st with an exhaust only, full weight, 2.73 geared LX 5.0, and erupt them through 2nd with GT40 head/Comp Cam XE270/Typhoon intake and 3.73s. I assume the Coopers will have similar performance, as I couldn't find a direct comparison.

I'm planning to install Trickflow Twisted Wedge heads and a more mild cam (TFS1 maybe) on my new '86. So any traction issues I had will be exacerbated with the greater low end torque, overall power, and less weight vs my old car. Any suggestions? I really don't want to change out the wheels, as they were recently refinished by the previous owner and look nice and period correct.
    Last edited by sm41; 05-02-2018 at 12:07 AM.
    '86 Mustang GT T-top. GT40P swap, Maximum Motorsports subframe/coilovers, MGW shifter
    (RIP) '86 Mustang GT, T-top. Cipher's old car
    '91 Wrangler. 4.0, 5 speed, 8.8 swapped, locked, lifted, caged
    -Steve