Close

Default Bad LED brakelight on American Muscle rear spoiler

It's always something. After spending thousands on my 84 convertible's resto and paint job I just noticed yesterday that the LED 3rd eye light on this rear spoiler from American Muscle failed on me. About 1/3 of the pin hole LEDs stopped lighting up. Its been on the car less than a year and since the car sat in my garage all winter its really been driven less than 3 months.

I called American Muscle 3 times and got nowhere with them. They said there no replacement offered as a separate purchase and no warranty is offered on the purchase. So after all I spent to make my car look hot I have a 3rd brake lights thats half out? And they cant/wont send me a new part even if I offer to buy it. What am I supposed to do now? Buy a new spoiler just to get a new light?

I dont even think this LED is serviceable. its in a sealed plastic case and I think the LEDs are clustered. Even if I could cut it open I doubt the LEDs can be removed.

https://www.americanmuscle.com/musta...wing-7993.html

Name:  bad brake LED.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  74.9 KB

Politely suggest that if there is no warranty, that your scathing review of the part will, in part, mention that.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by 4-barrel Mike View Post
    Politely suggest that if there is no warranty, that your scathing review of the part will, in part, mention that.

Mike
    I did say there's no warranty. In fact I posted a bad review on American Muscles website and they pulled it in less than an hour.
    Last edited by fgross2006; 04-30-2018 at 05:01 PM.

"I did say there's no warranty. In fact I posted a bad review on American Muscles website and they pulled it in less than an hour."

Some how that doesn't surprise me.

Nice customer service. I would see if you can fix it yourself or else find out who manufacturers it for them and contact them. I build circuit boards for a living and leds do fail from time to time. Might be a bad solder joint too. Good luck to you.
    67 Mustang Coupe
    96 Tangerine GT
    86 Saleen #179

Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    Nice customer service. I would see if you can fix it yourself or else find out who manufacturers it for them and contact them. I build circuit boards for a living and leds do fail from time to time. Might be a bad solder joint too. Good luck to you.

American Muscle keeps telling that their spoilers are made by SpeedForm but whn I Google SpeedForm nothing comes up. It doesn't exist as a company I can find info on. AM gave me a phone number for SpeedForm that was bogus too.

I think SpeedForm is their house brand like LMR has 5.0 Resto or Autozone has Duralast but those parts are made by another company then re-branded.

Can you take measurements? That looks like the same LED cluster light used on the 2005-2009 Saleens....I replaced mine back in 2008 and it was very easy to do.

FYI it is NOT a Saleen specific part. This LED cluster as well as the small round turn signals integrated into their front valence are not exclusive to the S-281.

http://www.saleenperformance.com/99_...04-b10625f.htm
    Jason Smith
    MCA #65481

'82 Capri RS Resto-Mod
    '88 #400 Saleen Coupe "Mean Machine" Legal Guardian
    '93 LX Yellow/Black Summer Feature - 2,800 Mile Original Survivor (Foxtoberfest 2019 Best Original 87-93)
    '05 S-281 Mineral Grey

Look through the pictures of the spoiler ad on their site...the LED cluster is clearly replaceable as there is a picture of the LED and wiring all by itself.

https://www.americanmuscle.com/musta...wing-7993.html

After looking closer, the Saleen LED has four screw holes and the SpeedForm only has 3. While they look really close in shape/size they don't appear to be identical. I bet that LED can be found out there somewhere, perhaps.....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-1...daw2bz&vxp=mtr

And then this....this looks like it! https://lmr.com/item/LRS-13613ELED/1...Rd-Brake-Light

It's $45 which sucks, but better than nothing at all
    Last edited by sowaxeman; 05-01-2018 at 02:46 PM.
    Jason Smith
    MCA #65481

'82 Capri RS Resto-Mod
    '88 #400 Saleen Coupe "Mean Machine" Legal Guardian
    '93 LX Yellow/Black Summer Feature - 2,800 Mile Original Survivor (Foxtoberfest 2019 Best Original 87-93)
    '05 S-281 Mineral Grey