Close

Default New brake system, which fluid?

I’m running Cobra brakes, with a 93 Cobra booster, and a 94/95 Cobra MC. Getting reading to add fluid and start bleeding the system. I currently have the MC mounted on the booster, installed in the car, as I seem to recall Mr. Hidley saying that’s the only way to do it. So the question is, which fluid should I run? If I understand it correctly, the DOT 3,4,5 is for how much heat the fluid can handle. With big brakes, I plan on using them.

Thanks, Dave

Done some research on MM’s site. Bought a few bottles of the Ford high performance dot 3.

FEP Senior Member Patrick Olsen's Avatar

You don't want DOT5 - that's not compatible with DOT3/4 and will gum up the system. DOT5.1 is compatible with DOT3/4. [Not sure why they didn't call DOT5.1 something else, like DOT6, since AFAIK it's not related to DOT5 at all!]

I haven't used the Ford stuff in a long while - years ago it seemed to disappear from the market (as I recall, there was some debate about whether or not Ford had changed the formula or just changed the packaging). While that was being debated on the intarwebs, I shifted to ATE Type 200 / Super Blue. Super Blue has since gone away, but I still use ATE Type 200. It seems to strike a pretty good balance of performance (high wet/dry boiling points) vs cost.
    '89 GT convertible - not a four-eye
    '82 Zephyr Z7 - future track car