Close

Default 5.0 carb throttle bracket

I put an Edelbrock carb on my 85 5.0 5 speed. It runs great but I'm not sure I like the way the cable fits the factory bracket now. The spring on the factory cable is now compressed more than I think it should be. I haven't double checked yet to make sure the throttle plates are opening all the way but I'm fairly certain they are. I dont like the way the gas pedal feels now though and I think the bracket on the intake needs moved back some to make the cable and spring travel longer again.
    So my question is: Has anyone else run into this issue? I checked Edelbrocks website and Summit but couldnt seem to find any
    thing that will fix this. It looks like I'm going to do some custom bracket building.

I remember reading about an adapter plate for use on Edelbrock manifolds. I've never installed one so I have no personal experience.
    Dave

If common sense was common wouldn't it just be sense?

1983 Capri L T top 5.0 efi aod
    1983 Capri RS Turbo
    1981 Black Magic 400 c6
    93 F-250 351 5sp 4x4

My edelbrock intakes work well with a small adaptor plate that helps set the bracket back a little. I just put a knock-off edelbrock Victor Jr on the pace car and it didn't have the same threaded holes as the performer. I had to do some fab work to the factory bracket (which wasn't original to the car anyway).

Quote Originally Posted by dagenham View Post
    It looks like I'm going to do some custom bracket building.
    I think that's going to be your answer. I know when I installed my Holley carb onto the Vic Jr intake I had to modify that bracket.
    408/T5/3.73's

We're not fast racers, we're more what's known as half fast racers.

I looked at it again tonight and with the choke open and warmed up the cable is only off by about 1/4".
    I think I'll drive it first and see what it's like.