Close

Question Fuel pump size too big?

Will a 255 lph fuel pump have any adverse affects on a stock 1986 EFI 302 H.O., or will it be fine? Eventually I may go with aftermarket heads and 24-30 LB injectors.
    Project "WinBacK" 1986 LX Hatchback
    - CA car, 5.0 w/5 speed
    - Cobra 17x8.5's + Modded Mach1 Chin Spoiler + 83-84 Hood & Scoop/85-86 "Blackout"+ FMS Mass Air Kit+ MM Clutch Cable & Quadrant + Fiore Cable Adjuster + MM SFC's+ Wild Rides "Battle Boxes" + Explorer Intake, Converted TB & Injectors, 70 mm Mass Air Meter + BBK Ceramic Shorties + 2.5" Bassani O/R X-Pipe & Cat-Back Exhaust w/ 3" Tips + 3L27 w/ Carbon Fiber Clutches​(out of retirement) + Pistol Grip Shifter + 99-04 GT Front/00 Cobra Rear Disc Brakes

I saw a video where they cut open a fuel tank to show how badly it airiates the fuel with different sized fuel pumps. It was an eye opener.

Size the fuel pump to the fuel requirements. There are a ton of calculators out there. You don't need the biggest pump (or fuel injectors) if you arent making much power.
    2 1986 cougars (both 4 eyed and 5.0)
    1 1987 cougar

I agree with above. Some say go as big as possible regardless of need. I say nonsense to that. Size according to need.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Good information. Thanks for the replies.
    - CA car, 5.0 w/5 speed
    - Cobra 17x8.5's + Modded Mach1 Chin Spoiler + 83-84 Hood & Scoop/85-86 "Blackout"+ FMS Mass Air Kit+ MM Clutch Cable & Quadrant + Fiore Cable Adjuster + MM SFC's+ Wild Rides "Battle Boxes" + Explorer Intake, Converted TB & Injectors, 70 mm Mass Air Meter + BBK Ceramic Shorties + 2.5" Bassani O/R X-Pipe & Cat-Back Exhaust w/ 3" Tips + 3L27 w/ Carbon Fiber Clutches​(out of retirement) + Pistol Grip Shifter + 99-04 GT Front/00 Cobra Rear Disc Brakes

Quote Originally Posted by Haystack View Post
    I saw a video where they cut open a fuel tank to show how badly it airiates the fuel with different sized fuel pumps. It was an eye opener.

Size the fuel pump to the fuel requirements. There are a ton of calculators out there. You don't need the biggest pump (or fuel injectors) if you arent making much power.
    Do you have a link to this video?
    - CA car, 5.0 w/5 speed

Pro-m has a video showing how bad a stock pickup areates fuel going back into the tank. Some say needlessly pumping unused fuel throughout your lines also causes un-necessary heat in the fuel.
    Last edited by 79mustang; 04-28-2018 at 11:49 PM.

You will also need to install an aftermarket fuel pressure regulator as the stock one can't cope with the extra fuel at idle. It will run rich and possibly surge at idle.
    Black 1985 GT: 408w, in the 6's in the 1/8 mile
    Bimini Blue 1988 LX 5.0 Coupe 5-speed, Hellion turbo, zero options
    Grabber Yellow 1973 Mustang Mach 1: 351c, toploader
    Black 2012 5.0 GT, 6-speed, Brembo brakes, 3.73's
    Wimbledon White 1966 F-100 Shortbed Styleside, 390, Tremec 3550, FiTech EFI

Would I need a different regulator if I only went with a 155LPH pump? I've never heard of having to change the regulator when changing the pump.
    - CA car, 5.0 w/5 speed

^^^Bump^^^
    - CA car, 5.0 w/5 speed

the only thing the regulator does is regulate fuel pressure. The only time you need a different one is if you need to change fuel pressure for some reason such as a rich or lean condition with the stock tune, etc.

There are well established articles that discuss fuel pump capacity vs power output. Ideally you would only have a large enough pump to maintain fuel pressure at WOT and no larger.

255 is WAY too big for most setups anywhere near a stock HO.

If memory serves we put a 155 in my son's 1986 convertible when we installed the new fuel gauge pickup, etc. Its mostly stock but running a VM1 ECU. No intake silencer, K&N air filter, base timing advanced to "kill". It should be good to somewhere around 400 HP or so.

Ok. So I should be just fine with a 155lph.
    - CA car, 5.0 w/5 speed

I've ran 255 on bone stock setups, no issues other than a little louder.
    1986 CHP SSP Coupe

I'm getting a 155lph pump. I don't know if mine is original or not, but it has always been pretty loud.
    - CA car, 5.0 w/5 speed