Close

Blog Entries

Default adding in tank fuel pump?

I'm giving serious thought to going fuel injected on my car. However I have little desire for an external fuel pump. Will a newer F.I. tank bolt in an '83? I'm thinking the fuel sender is different for, say, an '87, but correct me if I'm wrong. Anyone done this swap?
    1983 Mustang G.T. No-option stripper- I like strippers.
    5.0, GT40P heads, Comp Cams XE270HR-12 on 1.6 rockers, TFI spring kit, Weiand 174 blower, Holley 750 mechanical secondarys, Mishimoto radiator, Edelbrock street performer mechanical pump, BBK shortys, T-5 conversion, 8.8 rear, 3.73 gears, carbon fiber clutches, SS Machine lowers, Maximum Motorsport XL subframes, "B" springs.

Pretty sure the tanks are dimensionally the same. Your old sender may even work in the same hole on the new tank. Everything worked when I did this on my svo.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Check out Brock’s thread. He did it. Different tank, sending unit, etc. but looks really straight forward.

84-97 fuel tanks w/EFI will interchange.

Those tanks will have two openings in the top. The one in the center of the tank will be for the fuel level sending unit. The opening on the top of the tank near the filler neck will be for the in tank fuel pump and lines.

This is the fuel sending unit you will need/want for the conversion. http://www.foxresto.com/SVO-GT-Turbo...-p/4883010.htm

Then you will need a fuel pump hanger bracket, fuel pump, the fuel lines and filter setup, an inertia switch, wiring, etc. to make it all work. Obviously a 1986 5.0 donor would be the quickest option. The Later SVO setup with the intake pump only will work also. Otherwise there are aftermarket harnesses you can wire up to your car to make everything work. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Blog Entries

Thanks guys! The wiring and plumbing don't worry me- I just want the correct ohms for the fuel sender, and the ability to put a Wahlbro pump in the tank. It won't be Ford fuel injection, so wiring will be simple (really just 1 wire and an inertia switch ) and I'll run my own steel lines.
    5.0, GT40P heads, Comp Cams XE270HR-12 on 1.6 rockers, TFI spring kit, Weiand 174 blower, Holley 750 mechanical secondarys, Mishimoto radiator, Edelbrock street performer mechanical pump, BBK shortys, T-5 conversion, 8.8 rear, 3.73 gears, carbon fiber clutches, SS Machine lowers, Maximum Motorsport XL subframes, "B" springs.

I am running an 87 tank, pump, pump hanger and fuel lines in my 83L. You will need the replacement sending unit for an 86 though.
    Dave

If common sense was common wouldn't it just be sense?

1983 Capri L T top 5.0 efi aod
    1983 Capri RS Turbo
    1981 Black Magic 400 c6
    93 F-250 351 5sp 4x4

The somewhat recently released repro sending unit for an SVO will also work perfectly in a 1983-84 GT Turbo (ask me how I know) so the sending unit is not an issue. It's the one you need even though you are not doing a Turbo. The gauge is what matters. Since it is totally separate from the fuel pump hanger assembly that is one of your concerns addressed. The 1983-84/GT Turbo and 84-86 SVO fuel tank is also the same as those mentioned above though obviously has undergone more years of use and wear. Again, I get you aren't doing a Turbo but the parts are the same.
    Last edited by homer302; 05-09-2018 at 07:40 PM.

Blog Entries

Thanks for the info. However, the company I work for just went on strike, so I won't be doing much for a while. I feel like I'm living in a bad 1970's labor relations movie.

Hopefully you won't be down long. I did the same thing on my 85. I got on Ebay and ordered a tank from a 97 I believe, complete with pump in it. There used to be a tech how to on here of how to modify the later sender with the circuit out of an early one to get the gauge to read correctly. That's what I did. Iirc, I used a 85 Tempo sender for the resistance circuit and modified the 97 sender and it works great. I used factory type nylon efi hose and fittings to make connection to the pump and factory efi fuel filter. I used some compression fittings to mate the efi nylon hose to the factory carb hard lines (after I cut the barbs off).
    1985 GT, Sunroof, 5 Lug, Rear Discs, 01 Graphite Bullets, 88 forged piston shortblock, 2.02/1.60 Alum heads, Weiand Stealth, Holley C950 TBI, BBK Long tubes

Fwiw, my local Advance Auto had a tank in stock for my 88 just a few yrs ago. It was right around $100. Might be worth calling around before ordering one and paying shipping.

There used to be a tech how to on here of how to modify the later sender with the circuit out of an early one to get the gauge to read correctly.
    The correct fuel sender is being reproduced now so there is no need to modify a later sender unless you just want to.
    Dave

If common sense was common wouldn't it just be sense?

1983 Capri L T top 5.0 efi aod
    1983 Capri RS Turbo
    1981 Black Magic 400 c6
    93 F-250 351 5sp 4x4