Close

Default 85 GT trim paint question .... car was white, now gray with lots of metal flake

I have an 85 Mustang GT that the previous owner repainted from White to a gray with lots of small metal flake. The trim needs to be painted however I'm unsure whether to go black or one of the charcoal grey colors. I don't know if this is an oem color or not for 1985 but your opinions on what would look most correct would be appreciated. In addition if you have an opinion on what color would look most correct and have experience with a particular product and part number that would be the most helpful. I've been looking at various sem products and it seems there's quite a few variations. In addition to the trim paint I also need to select a hood decal color to match, right now the hood does not have it a decal on it.

My personal opinion would be to go back to white. 85-86 gts in white with that big hood decal and the dark eyes looks awesome. You can order the correct sem trim color in a spray can from any of the fox mustang restore sites. I've used it works great.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Color is charcoal.

Are the door jambs, edges, underhood painted grey or are they the original white?

If the original white is in the jambs, etc. I would repaint the correct white color. As stated it looks really cool!

If the repaint was done well, and they did all the jambs, etc. then I would most likely leave the repaint as is and just touch up the trim. Depending on the color of grey will determine if you should consider black over the original charcoal grey. The original charcoal grey looks really nice when done well, unfortunately the grey does not hold up over time.

The SEM paint 39153 is the correct charcoal for the trim.

Personally I prefer to use standard BC/CC with a Satin/Matte clear for better long term durability. PPG #DDL 33717 is the correct color code for the charcoal grey that can be cross referenced and match by your local auto body supply house. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

I'll have to say it doesn't look bad in the picture! Can't see the flake in the pic though.

The belt line and ttop window trim all need painted. Votes on color without white repaint appreciated. The jams are all painted to match.

I know charcoal gray is correct for the trim and moldings, but I’d go black. Just pops more on a dark color like that.
    1984.5 GT 5.0 5 Speed ANALOG
    BBK Long Tubes/H pipe/FM
    Edelbrock Intake/Holley 600
    8.8 w/FMS 3.73s
    Steeda Shifter

2010 GT 5 Speed DIGITAL
    Track Pack
    Pypes Violator axle back
    Airaid Cold Air

Blog Entries

Black.
    1983 Mustang G.T. No-option stripper- I like strippers.
    5.0, GT40P heads, Comp Cams XE270HR-12 on 1.6 rockers, TFI spring kit, Weiand 174 blower, Holley 750 mechanical secondarys, Mishimoto radiator, Edelbrock street performer mechanical pump, BBK shortys, T-5 conversion, 8.8 rear, 3.73 gears, carbon fiber clutches, SS Machine lowers, Maximum Motorsport XL subframes, "B" springs.

I would go the charcoal grey in a BC/CC using the PPG formula. Gives the contrast, but is correct for the year model.

The original charcoal trim color is very dark and in low light will almost look black, but will definitely show grey in good light/sun light.

The car does look good in the pictures, and not to be rude, but I would have to correct the color mismatch on the front cover. That would drive me crazy personally. Then again I am like that!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

I will add another vote for the original charcoal gray color. It varies in color with lighting like Trey mentioned above. What will make it pop will be the satin sheen as opposed to that shiny metallic. The SEM paint will not look good on your car...or last, do it once and be done.
    HAD
    '82 GT monochromatic (red)...black cloth

HAVE
    '85 GT vert two tone (white on charcoal)...white leather
    '00 F350 two tone (white on silver)...gray cloth
    '00 Excursion Limited two tone (white on tan)...tan leather...wifes ride
    '08 Taurus Limited ice blue...tan leather...daughter ride
    '08 Edge Limited white sand tri-coat metallic...tan leather...other daughters ride