Close

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Default F-150 Lightning used as a power bank

Was at a car cruise last Wednesday.
    CKiW iRadio 76 had a tent booth set up for broadcast.
    Everything was powered off a F-150 Lightning's battery. MSRP 69K truck was parked behind the tent.
    Truck was from a nearby Ford dealer. Dealer was a cruise sponsor and had displays.

Too bad the range is already garbage on those, and even worse when you use them like that. Stupid.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

That White Ford Lightning on display had the dash all lit up and untuckable wires and cords everywhere inside and out.
    Last edited by gr79; 02-15-2023 at 05:40 PM.

Default Power Wheels for grown ups

Apartment dwellers, for one, will not be installing charging stations for their electric cars.
    Prob wont own one anyway and take a cab or bus everywhere.
    Multi car families (if they still will exist) will need multiple chargers.
    Like owning a personal gas station. 'Gas pumps' all over the place. More expense.
    Will parking meters turn into chargers?
    Have the new generation of engineers created all this because they miss their Power Wheel toys?
    More expensive new tech not as good as current or older?
    Last edited by gr79; 02-15-2023 at 05:39 PM.

Looks like the auto makers will continue to load the products with gadget content.
    They are not a house.
    Nothing on the lot but high profit dollar leftovers waiting for chips..

Many good cars are ruined, engines hydro locked, by attempting to drive on flooded roads.

I heard the new Mustang has almost no physical buttons. None for the HVAC, in particular. I was driving my 2017 Focus ST yesterday, and was thinking I really got in right at the sweet spot. It's got an 8" screen for nav and other techy stuff, but still all the physical buttons. NICE physical buttons. The ergonomics are so well designed everything falls right to hand. Want to turn up your music, you've got a KNOB. No need to take your eyes off the road or argue with a robot voice. You've still got your manual transmission, but with the way it steers, handles and accelerates, the car drives almost intuitively, like an extension of your body. The seats are perfect... I could go on and on.

Point is, you ain't gettin' that experience from a giant electric brick Ford wants to sell you now.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

New User

EV's are total junk. Until they find a better battery alternative that is safer and cheaper with more power output then they are useless.

What...? A mile of extra wire you do not need...?

https://www.cnn.com/2023/02/04/busin...sla/index.html

Scotty
    1985 Fox Notch 4-banger Ranger tube header Eastwood Royal Blue
    1988 Fox LX 5.0 AOD Vert BBK 170mph speedo Candy Apple Red
    1999 Mustang Coupe V6 Auto Chrome Yellow -Daily Driver.
    Past Pony's.....
    68 Coupe Inline-6 3-Speed-Man. Primer
    78 II Hatch 302 3-Speed-Auto Sunroof Black
    81 4-Eye Coupe 4-Banger 4-Speed-Man. White

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrEFI View Post
    I heard the new Mustang has almost no physical buttons. None for the HVAC, in particular. I was driving my 2017 Focus ST yesterday, and was thinking I really got in right at the sweet spot. It's got an 8" screen for nav and other techy stuff, but still all the physical buttons. NICE physical buttons. The ergonomics are so well designed everything falls right to hand. Want to turn up your music, you've got a KNOB. No need to take your eyes off the road or argue with a robot voice. You've still got your manual transmission, but with the way it steers, handles and accelerates, the car drives almost intuitively, like an extension of your body. The seats are perfect... I could go on and on.

Point is, you ain't gettin' that experience from a giant electric brick Ford wants to sell you now.
    Looks like that is turning out to define the real truth with new vehicle trends since then.

From settling down and hitting the marks, to threat of last call for IC power before electric rides.
    They are here and pushing to prematurely take over the roads by force.
    Where will current Mustang ownership be like 40 years from now? How many will still run compaired to ours now?

Came across 30 interesting slide show pics of new F-150 Lightning EVs on the DTP plant floor taken 2022 April 21.
    Have taken the DTP/F-150 plant tour, is memorable.
    The pics from link below show details of current plant operations that are well out of view from the tour route.
    Plus cameras and video is restricted and not allowed.
    Looks like nothing is moving or running very slow. A few people around for some reason. Waiting for parts?
    Interesting colors, lighting, robots, machinery, tools.
    Anyway, enjoyed the pics. They give a picture perspective of a type as viewed say from an assy line worker or a mechanic.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/comp...17wQKY#image=1

Did Ford give everyone new black shirts and an easy work load day for the 10 millionth Mustang celebration? Wow talk about overhead lighting..

DTP = Rouge? Yeah, i would love to check that place out.

It seems like Jim Farley is a bit more realistic than most about gas engines. Of course, this is the same guy that decided the Mach E should be a Mustang, so f*** that guy.

Speaking of which, Doug DeMuro, who I used to like on Youtube, posted a video titled "Ford was right to kill all its cars", so f*** that guy too.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

DTP= Dearborn Truck Plant, Rouge Complex, Dearborn basically built where DAP used to be. F-150
    DAP= Dearborn Assy Plant- Rouge area- Mustang/Capri and others. Also was known as AP05.
    MTP or MAP= Michigan Truck or Assy Plant down the road west 10 miles from Dearborn plants Wayne Mi- Bronco/Ranger. Two plants.

If ever visiting Dearborn,
    The indoor Henry Ford Museum is a must. Historic cars and trucks, rr and farm machinery, many other items.
    Outdoor Greenfield Village is very cool. Historic buildings. Edison's lab is there and is open to walk thru..
    The Truck plant tour is memorable. Shuttle bus ride to the plant from the museum.
    All are separate admission.
    Takes 2-3 full days to see it all.
    Lots of walking and i mean a lot.
    Last edited by gr79; 02-16-2023 at 07:22 PM.

I went to Detroit years ago with my Ford ASSET class. We went to the Henry Ford Museum, and yeah, it's super cool. I want to get back there sometime so I can hit the Dossin maritime museum too. Plus, I'm obsessed with watching videos about all the urban blight there. I'm not sure how brave I'd be about cruising some of those scary neighborhoods though, haha. We don't have anything like that here. Even our worst neighborhoods still look pretty good here. It looks like a war zone there!
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Best way to slowly remote view Detroit is on Google maps. Pick a road, hit street view and 'drive' it.

Went driving crosstown in Detroit last Tuesday afternoon. The Mustang felt tough and ready to cut thru the city and did.
    Went right thru the middle s to n and even some side streets. A lot of side streets have empty lots now, blight slowly disappearing.

Trick is to avoid concentrated crazy areas to avoid. Always keep doors locked.
    People hanging looking at you and type of car traffic are clues.
    Carjackings at gas stations. ATM smash and grabs. Drunk or high hit and run drivers.
    Prudent to stay away from gas stations, party stores, fast food. Most waiting at red lights is safe especially with other cars.
    Street racing, stunt driving, cop car chases, blowing red lights, street and freeway shootings (rage or not) can happen at any time.

For sure no matter what, Detroit and Metro Detroit is consistent in that it can be is big super fun interesting driving playground to experience. Memorable for sure.
    Our slow classic old cars seem to be respected and with nods allowed to roam. Newer Chargers, Jeeps, pickups, are targets to steal.

Dossin museum is a fav by everyone here. Mostly from passing by it while cruising Belle Isle when it was free to drive the island.
    Once a city park, now is a state park. Pass is needed to access the island where the museum is.
    The Detroit Grand Prix course was at that end of the island.
    Was an odd event. A real Indy car race in a state park. But is par for the course.
    Now will be back in June 2023 with a new course on downtown streets, some along the riverfront. Like the 80's Capri GP car era.
    Wonder if the winner will take a plaza fountain dip as was done on the island?

Last edited by 86capri50; 02-17-2023 at 08:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gr79 View Post
    Trick is to avoid concentrated crazy areas to avoid. Always keep doors locked.
    People hanging looking at you and type of car traffic are clues.
    Carjackings at gas stations. ATM smash and grabs. Drunk or high hit and run drivers.
    Prudent to stay away from gas stations, party stores, fast food. Most waiting at red lights is safe especially with other cars.
    Street racing, stunt driving, cop car chases, blowing red lights, street and freeway shootings (rage or not) can happen at any time.
    Newer Chargers, Jeeps, pickups, are targets to steal.
    LOL - I'm sorry I have to chime in here.

Take all of that with a big grain of salt.... In all my times visiting downtown Detroit, I have not once felt unsafe or experienced anything like that described above.

Sure it happens, but I think it's a little exaggerated IMO. Rule of thumb - Don't be an idiot, pay attention to your surroundings, and you'll be fine. Just like any other city. The worst I've ever encountered, second hand, was a buddies cat was cut and stolen while we were at a Tigers game....~12 years ago.

True story on the Mopar cars though. Those are the hot ticket, not 80's Mustangs.
    Last edited by ITdude87; 02-21-2023 at 05:43 PM.
    1986 Mustang GT - 2A, 5 Sp
    2018 Subaru WRX (Daily)

Funny was going to add the cat napping at Tiger games and other events.
    Not fond of panhandlers hanging around there either. Or the tow truck predators.
    Downtown is different than the neighborhoods. Too many armed eyes always watching, up to no good.
    We used to go all the time to Detroit as teenagers just to drive around and explore. Went to big concerts.
    Ride the city bus visit Hudson's toyland, elevators. Worked casually as ground crew extra at the ballpark back in the 80's.
    Absolutely had many good times at events. Auto shows, ball games, bars, food, museums, fireworks, parades. Coney dogs.
    We have parked in the old Michigan Theater, now a parking garage. Used to see rock concerts there.
    Had a w/s sticker that must have looked like a parking pass. Free parking more than once.
    Am overcautious now and wish to keep great memories intact. TV news does not tell all.
    Have ridden bicycles downtown with friends not too long ago. Honey Bee Market is a neat little place
    Have found 'gold' in Detroit U- pull parts yards. Except for there, Detroit to me has always been a money pit.
    One time almost totally ruined my new SVO exhaust sys. Muffler snagged on a gas station hump where they fill the underground tanks.

Yeah, I know the understanding is that downtown Detroit is decent. I'm talking about the surrounding neighborhoods. Case in point:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsXyediho3o

I watched a video today about Farley's war with the dealers. "dealers got greedy" or something. They're not the only ones that are being greedy. The whole auto industry charging too much for trucks and crossovers, and then eliminating their more affordable models. That said, buyers are not helping the situation buying new cars in record numbers despite their insane prices. People are stupid.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Great short video. Notice the new speed bump program to slow down speeding drivers down side streets.
    All big cities are similar but there is only one Motown/Motor City. They all change slowly over the generations.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcAnIodPcpI

Imagine all the items at the bottom of the Detroit River? Abandoned areas are also dumping grounds.
    Wonder when scrap dealers will be buying copper from the EV charging station cables?
    No more converters to steal. Not going to cut out a giant battery either.

Some basic Detroit vibe is in domestic vehicles, built in by autoworkers and automotive corperate who live here.
    Certainly is one large area the manufactures road tests vehicles before production.

Can feel safer down there in one of the newer suvs that look like the law uses and minding ones own business.
    Friend has a Black P71 2008 Crown Vic. Decommissioned suburban unit. Spotlight works. Had a push bumper.
    Properly driven and clean, still gets respect from others nearby and in traffic. No problem driving it anywhere.

Auto designers, marketing, dealers, overcater to customers with money to stay in business.
    Sell one, make big profit, rather than building three with less parts and costs as back in the old days.
    Sure looks like they are loaded with cash dispite the many parts markups and overall infrastructure spent for the builds.
    Cost and basic simplicity seems no object anymore for some reason. Fewer and fewer can repair them.
    Last edited by gr79; 02-22-2023 at 09:24 PM.

Yeah, it's pretty interesting how it was one of the first to prioritize single family homes when planning the city. It's a cautionary tale for what can happen when it goes wrong. SO much wasted space there now. I remember hearing there was an official who wanted to try and get people to move to areas where they could cluster together so they could focus the city services where the people were and cut them off where they weren't. That would be a tough sell to people who've been in their houses forever. "Sorry, you have to move because your neighbors all left. Oh, and we can't guarantee the house we stick you in will be any good".

So that's Greektown? I visited there too. At the time (2000-ish) they said the citizens do most of the policing, and keep that area really safe.

Yeah, less can repair them, AND they won't do anything to make things any better for the techs they do have. It would be really interesting to me to know how many techs leave the industry after the first year. I was one of those. Something's gotta give.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

If you guys are getting this bent out of shape about the Mach-E, just wait until you read about what Chevy is doing with the Corvette

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a4...te-brand-2025/
    2018 Subaru WRX (Daily)

Default subscriptions for features?

Remote engine start: $330 one-time fee; $10 one month; $105 one year; $250 three years
    Drive Recorder: $149 one-time; $99 for three years, or $39 for one year
    Traffic Camera: $25 for one year; no other options
    Driving Assistant Plus with Stop & Go: $950 one-time fee; $20 one month; $210 one year; $580 three years
    Parking Assistant Professional: $220 one-time fee; $5 one month; $50 one year; $130 three years

https://jalopnik.com/bmw-goes-ahead-...n-t-1849959418

Then here is another Ford Better Idea patent (uh why not offer much simpler affordable cars?).
    Will they drive themselves to the junkyard when they are of 'clunker' age? Or some other global scenario?

https://www.cbtnews.com/ford-patent-...%201%2C%202023

You forgot about the $18/Mo Heated Seats Subscription from BMW

https://www.theverge.com/2022/7/12/2...-seats-feature

Re: The Ford Patent, while yes it’s draconian, a patent does not necessarily equal a feature or product. It’s a smart business move of them. Come up with the idea, and then patent and sell it.

I’m sure customers (including myself) would hate it, but another manufacturer from another country could buy it for big bucks, just as an example. Ford wouldn’t benefit from this…once the car is financed, they got their money and don’t have anymore skin in the game. It’s the big banks and lenders alone who would want and benefit from this.
    2018 Subaru WRX (Daily)

Quote Originally Posted by ITdude87 View Post
    If you guys are getting this bent out of shape about the Mach-E, just wait until you read about what Chevy is doing with the Corvette

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a4...te-brand-2025/
    I don't care what GM does. They can go under for all I care. I'm still kind of hoping Ford does a complete 180 in time to survive though. Seems like nothing's off the table at this point, anyway. The finance market is starting to collapse now, and people aren't going to be able to afford $70,000 King Ranches and half-baked EVs. Things are going to get real quick. Farley's dismissal is just a matter of time.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrEFI View Post
    kind of hoping Ford does a complete 180 in time to survive though. The finance market is starting to collapse now, and people aren't going to be able to afford $70,000 King Ranches and half-baked EVs. Things are going to get real quick. Farley's dismissal is just a matter of time.
    Ford was the best selling brand in the USA, beating Toyota, for 2022.

Top 10, maybe even top 5 in the world.
    Last edited by ITdude87; 03-09-2023 at 12:17 PM.
    2018 Subaru WRX (Daily)

Still having supply issues. If that ranking mattered that much, they wouldn't still be in panic mode, but they clearly are.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314