Close

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Default It's Official: Ford's Killing ALL of Their Cars--Except Mustang

https://jalopnik.com/ford-will-phase...ica-1825544784

Stupid Stupid STUPID!! Can we think any more short term?! Remember 2008, you stupid, moronic mother#$%&ers??!! IT WILL HAPPEN AGAIN. GAS PRICES WILL GO UP!! And environmental laws WILL come back to sanity! There's no way around it!! And you are going to find yourselves with nothing anyone wants, and government fines for not meeting fuel economy regs up the ass! I want this company to survive long term, but apparently you're not interested in that. Even in the meantime, NOT EVERYONE WANTS A #$%&ING TRUCK! I don't even want your vaguely truckified Focus! In fact, I'd take an actual truck over one of those stupid things. At least it knows what it is!

I used to lease new Ford every couple of years, but that's over. Congratulations, Hackett. You're now officially stupider than Sergio Marchionne.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

So Brad . . . How do you really feel about the news.

I agree that I believe long term its a bad decision. I think the issue is as much the fact that none of the Ford sedans are exciting is the issue as much as anything else. Maybe I am wrong, but I see plenty of Camrys, Accords, Lexus IS, Mercedes C, Nissan Maximums, etc. out on the roads. So someone is buying sedans.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

They made the same mistake they did back in the 2000s. Right around 2013 when the new Euro-based Fusion came out, they had a great line-up! But then... they just let them stagnate and the competition moved on. The change of management needing something to point the finger at, so they just left them the same year after year. "Hey look! No one's buying them!" Well, what do you expect?!
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

I can't see this being permanent, it is certainly short-sighted and profit-motive driven. Obviously crossovers are becoming more and more popular but I still see plenty of sedans on the road around here including lots of current gen Fusions and Foci. I have a '14 Fusion SE 2.0EB that just hit 75k and has been great, I grabbed a 2017 Fiesta ST in October because I knew that was going to get killed off. Seems like waste to just surrender the regualar automotive market to the competition.
    -Randy
    '83 Mustang GL notchback - 351w - T5Z
    '84 Mustang GT350 20th Anniversary Hatch #2808 - 302 - T5
    ''92 Mustang LX Hatch - 2.3t - IRS (in progress)

Ford made the same stupid move with the Ranger many years ago when they decided they weren't selling enough of their old tired Ranger. Fast forward a few years and guess what's coming back . . . I swear NO ONE at Ford has ever taken or Passed a History lesson.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

The real risk is to the American factory worker. When gas is back up to $4+ per gallon and folks are looking for more efficient options, or when the economy inevitably slows down and folks can't afford to buy a $65,000 truck, demand will fall and Ford will likely move back to the smaller (read: cheaper) cars and sedans. But they're going to be importing them all. Not to mention that in the US there's still a strong appetite for trucks, but every day when I'm driving into ATL here in the south and home of the V8 (no complaints here) I see a constant stream of Teslas and other hybrid and full electric cars on the roads. Folks tastes are changing, and agree with them or not, some people are looking at lower polluting solutions for getting from point a to b. I'd be happier to hear that Ford is working on better hybrid tech and focusing on driving that for the future instead of trucks. I know they're doing some of that too, but it just doesn't look good to be emphasizing old markets.
    Last edited by Matt J; 04-26-2018 at 04:37 PM.

All of their eggs are going to be in one basket......"Ford said it won’t invest in new generations of sedans for the North American market, eventually reducing its car lineup to the Mustang and an all-new Focus Active crossover coming next year. By 2020, almost 90 percent of its portfolio in the region will be pickups, SUVs and commercial vehicles."
    http://start.att.net/news/read/artic...tegory/finance

I thought of a couple of different ways to look at it.

1) Ford knows (I would hope they do anyway) that we Americans know about what they sell in other markets. Maybe they're hoping to drum up interest by going back to forbidding the fruit.

2) This may open the door for more interesting niche cars. Right now, Ford needs a Fusion sized car to compete in the mid-size segment. It needs to be a Camry beater. BUT, if they were to forfeit that market they could just do something COOL, rather than something that needs to fight for Accord buyers. Remember how cool the Contour was for us enthusiasts in the '90s? It didn't fail because it wasn't a capable car, it failed because it didn't win over Camry buyers. It lacked in many things Camry buyers look for, especially rear seat space. But if you pull the Camry template away, it was a sweet little car! AWD, V6, manual, all the luxury options of the day...

Anyway, though, they could bring over completely un-Americanized Euro models. Except for stuff like crash standards. Another thought occurs to me. The Fusion platform accepts RWD, as we know from the new Explorer/Aviator, so they could certainly do something cool with that.

Now will they do either of these things? Absolutely not.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

That's what happens when you have a CEO of a car company who isn't a car guy. I'll stand by something I've said before - the car makers, especially Ford, don't make any cars that the Beach Boys would want to sing about.

Quote Originally Posted by xctasy View Post
    Yep, that sedans are dead in the future. The Camry is like the Maxima, a Gene spliced, Drawn, Hanged and Quartered 1990 Corona with G,D, H and Q modifications. The MPV Toyotas down here use the Camry base, and the CUV versions of it was the great white hope that ToyMoter could make a one size fits all platform work economically. It doesn't. Toyota will have a hard landing like Ford did with its sedans.

Ford Australia pulled out of the market, and Toyota has the Camry all to itself. The Camry is Ultimate Appliance. The only reason it survives is because when Toyota messes up its quality programs, it then spends billizions on re gaining favour in customers eyes.

Where is the Celica now?

This is a little like the Robert L McNamara moment of killing the two place T bird in 1957.

Its grease Lightening!

Fords getting back to core business. Taking Eggs from the hen hutch to the Close.

Gas axe off the roof, and get back to two and three box, Sweet Lorretta Martin...

Two or three box cars accomodate Loretta Fart, who thought
    she was a cleaner, but she was a frying pan..

So the death of the six place 81" wide 60 Ford is because of the New Increasingly Urbanized America that no longer tollerates the "three on the tree" and the "bench front seat."

Might as well get used to it....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWOeCR4xVQo

Electronic Stability Control and M**f's with dawgs and childern govern automotive design. It happened in France, Australia and New Zealand and Britian first....So we can make 1996 Explorer style cars with 60" height handle and do a safe International Lane change at 100 mph with the dog and the three and a half kids, a live to tell the tail.

History is Bunk, Henry Ford 1916.

"History is more or less bunk. It's tradition. We don't want tradition. We want to live in the present, and the only history that is worth a tinker's damn is the history that we make today." (Chicago Tribune, 1916).

From a lover of square back notched Ford Sedans.

Everything is going bacTards thru' the years, cars are getting taller going back thru' the ammendments Raymond Lowery at Studebaker and Richard Caleal made to create the 49 er Ford

Similar to what E.T. "Bob" Gregorie did on a larger scale to make the Led Sled 1949 Mercury.

https://www.hemmings.com/magazine/hc...d/1281265.html

Four box cars were a Ford invention IMHO.

FoMoCo is checkin out the cost verses benifit on every configuration, and the public is going back to the wide body "full width" 1941 Fords, three boxers. The trunk and the six or seven seater option is just whatcha got in your Transit Transconnect. That's an MPV, but really, its just a hatch wide body 1941 FORD.

Just needs a V8 or maybee a hybridized V8 to make it like the old 1941 er.

Default Because the perfect computer data says so

Hey corporate Ford: Your computer marketing program may have been hacked to give bad stats.
    Forgotten how to make American style cars or what? The middle ground. Slow down and come down to earth.
    More profit is the passion? Rebuilding team again? Cutting back may be false economy.
    Address your obscene crazy factory shift schedules that employees hate but pay well? Product suffers from this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planned_obsolescence.
    -Repair costs ≥ replacement cost, or product is not serviceable.
    -Products designed for aesthetic rather than functional reasons: The fashion cycle theory. We are on to it.

Mary Barra https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...a-gm/21834271/
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Barra -car girl, native Detroiter
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sergio_Marchionne -car guy, underrated.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_..._(businessman) -small time bean counter, non automotive car killer.

Few automotive execs go down in history anymore like the famous names from the past. Why?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catego...mer_executives
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._Motor_Company

D. Petersen (Ford CEO 1985-1990) "was famously known for instructing the Ford design staff to design vehicles they would be proud to buy and park in their own driveways."
    In 1968, L. Iacocca "foresaw the need for domestically produced, small, fuel-efficient vehicles, and proposed a vehicle that weighed less than 2,000 pounds and would be priced at less than $2,000."

Henry Ford did not invent, nor compete making, high priced products in his era.
    Simply af-Fordable simple products and good wages. 8 hour days, no slave shift hours like now.
    Strange history with unions. John DeLorean's father Zachary was as a union organizer at the Ford Motor Company.
    https://www.britannica.com/biography/Henry-Ford
    Last edited by gr79; 04-28-2018 at 01:41 AM.

You could argue Alan Mullaly wasn't a car guy, but I think he really knew what he was doing and did right by Ford. Under his care, was only the second time in recent history that Ford REALLY put their best foot forward and fielded a good product. The first time was the first Taurus, which Mullaly was a fan of how that was executed and modeled his own strategy after it. He pried some extra money out of the hands of the bean counters, and brought us the Ford of Europe based lineup of 2013. And God said that it was very, very good. As far as I can remember, at that point, those cars sold nearly as well as most of the competition. AAaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnd then, same old story, the good CEO leaves, and the new guys follow the shiney keys of truck profits and forgets about everything else. It's shameful.

I'm assuming these sorts of moves (killing sedans) are being made possible by a neutering of the EPA, otherwise, they'd be getting fines up the ass for not meeting fuel economy standards. Well, hey guys, we won't always have an executive with no conscience, and automotive development schedules tend to be too long to be able to correct for something like a sudden economic collapse. Do I really need to say these things "out loud"? I guess I do! I need to go and teach Mr. Hackett "Automotive Company CEO 101".
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

A good article. I hadn't thought of the significant factor of how the car market is currently on a bubble of too-long loan periods and people buying stupid-expensive trucks they can't afford!

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/04/27/...affordability/
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Allan Mullaly is a smart man. He did a great job when he worked for Boeing.

A good article. I hadn't thought of the significant factor of how the car market is currently on a bubble of too-long loan periods and people buying stupid-expensive trucks they can't afford!
    I have thought vehicles have been over-priced for years. Which is why the the last new car I bought was in 97. I can't justify the $$$ for a new vehicle. For the kind of money these cost, I can do a whole lot of repairs on what I have and I don't have the payments.
    Dave

If common sense was common wouldn't it just be sense?

1983 Capri L T top 5.0 efi aod
    1983 Capri RS Turbo
    1981 Black Magic 400 c6
    93 F-250 351 5sp 4x4

What car will Ford race in nascar after they quit make the fusion?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by dtmilsap View Post
    what car will ford race in nascar after they quit make the fusion?

Sent from my samsung-sm-g900a using tapatalk
    Who cares!?!?!

Supposedly the Mustang in 2019
    67 Mustang Coupe
    96 Tangerine GT
    86 Saleen #179

They're basically forcing people who might want a sedan to buy an import. Or buy used.

FEP Power Member

I have not read much on all this but my take is Ford does not plan to make full sized sedans such as the Crown Vic. I see the police car migrated to the Explorer and such. Maybe that's all there is to it for now. They pretty much announced that a while back for Lincoln. I see now the have reintroduced a sedan. Not sure what platform its on.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

Quote Originally Posted by KevinK View Post
    ... Lincoln. I see now the have reintroduced a sedan. Not sure what platform its on.
    Oh that? So, funny story. That is the Continental. The car they shouted from the rooftops would finally begin Lincoln's turnaround. Only it was all a lie. The Continental rides on the Fusion platform. FWD/AWD based. Not so strange, seeing as how everything up to that point on that platform was that way, right? WRONG. We now learn, that platform supports REAR WHEEL FREAKING DRIVE! And hey, guess what, Lincoln rolls out yet another Ford-based boring-ass FWD sedan and... no one buys it! I submit to you, the Continental was designed to fail, right from the beginning. I think they KNEW slapping a nostalgic name on it wouldn't be enough. The $%#&ing product still needs to be APPEALING! Luxury buyers spending as much as a Continental costs, DON'T WANT FWD!!

They KNEW!! They KNEW they were stopping JUST SHORT of it being an actual great sedan that might actually sell. They didn't want it to sell. The Continental was conceived to prove a point: sedans don't sell. Well, no, Ford. S&%$ty sedans don't sell. Great job. "Look, we really tried this time! Even named it a beloved nostalgic name from our past!" Yeah, you did. Shame on you.

This one makes me really angry. I'd love to see Lincoln actually going all-in on being a great luxury brand, but nope. Truck profits. That's all that matter.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Actually we had that answer in January. The Mustang.

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrEFI View Post
    Oh that? So, funny story. ....
    This one makes me really angry. I'd love to see Lincoln actually going all-in on being a great luxury brand, but nope. Truck profits. That's all that matter.
    I only quoted because I love your passion. I too love Lincoln and think it could do well. My ideas are different maybe than yours though. And that's okay. I am not sure about you but I was around when the Mark VII 5.0 HO was in showrooms and Cadillac had the Cimarron. I will pause while you readers go search what the heck a Cimarron is................................................ ......................
    Lincoln was crushing Cadillac. Now my goodness are the tables certainly turned. I don't believe there is an American "couch on wheels" buyer left alive that has any buying power. The old Town Cars, Buick Estate, Cadillac Fleetwood...nobody wants a 2018 version of those. And yet Lincoln so stubbornly sticks to that template.

That IS where we agree. I think it might have been designed to fail as well. Never thought of it until you said it. They just seem completely oblivious to all the success that Cadillac continues to have for over a DECADE by having a PERFORMANCE premium brand. (anyone in the room ever heard of a CTSV???? go google CTSV drag race or CTSV top speed run or whatever you want). They are EXTREMELY desirable. I believe they just recently lost the MANUAL 6 SPEED option a couple years ago. Most hilarious because they stole it from Ford and then Ford abandoned it.
    Last edited by homer302; 04-28-2018 at 07:10 PM.

Meh.

I don't really like newer fords. I wouldn't buy one used, and I certainly wouldn't pay $300 a month for 7 years on a new one.

I was thinking now that I'm in my 30's with two kids, it might be time to grow up a bit and buy a four door car. Couldn't find anything I even wanted to test drive. My buddy bought a newer mustang, which was always on the back of my mind.

His 2012 5.0 is fast its cool, its really quite uncomfortable and awkward to drive. The window sills start at about my shoulder (and I'm 6'5), there's very little head room, and moving the seat back so I can get in and out requires all of the rear seat room. No joke, the seats touch, and rub, making a constant squeak. Back windows? Why even bother. Its 12" tall, blocked by the rear headrest, giving you a nice 8x4" square of the top of the center of the trunk lid. Forget about being able to back out in a tight space.

And even with these massive proportions, high doors, practically sitting on the floor, you still feel like you are sitting on the car, rather then in it. The trunk is pitifully small, and the gas tank is relatively small, giving it a range about half my tbird with nearly identical proportions. Yeah, its fast, its a ford, that's pretty much the only two things it has going for it, with a bunch of negatives.

Now getting to all the fwd ford 4 doors. Meh. Nothing really cool, not a lot of room, and still really uncomfortable. I drove my tbird 1100 miles each way to California to pick up a buddy of mine. We stopped to pee and get gas. In 28 hours of driving, that was it.

Now my fiesta, after an hour I have to walk around and stretch for 10 minutes, then I don't want to get back inside it. 40mpg highway is cool, but I'd rather get 28mpg and not take 15 hours to do 10 hours of driving.
    2 1986 cougars (both 4 eyed and 5.0)
    1 1987 cougar

Default Really seriously considering adding a rear horn on the back bumper.

Too many close calls in past few years and getting worse than ever.
    A horn would at least wake up these distracted people up there.

People are not looking anymore for low height cars like ours when backing up.
    Large tinted what-evers can not see behind them so they quit doing that..
    They are on the phone and rely on backup camera or something.
    Have to pull thru spaces to face isle cause cannot see to back out with trucks blocking my view.

If next to you in a driveway, they are like a wall when trying to pull out into traffic.
    At least a semi is slower so you have a chance. These SUVs pop up from nowhere.

Lots of baby boomers are in their 60's. Hopefully learned a few things and remember them.
    One or two people in car. No kids, no pets. Not shopping for any big or heavy items to take home.
    Do not commute to work. Drive 1/2 as much. Do not need electronics to find our way.
    No need for large vehicle and larger expenses, tires, repair, insurance and registration.

Marketing focus on gouging the young and dumb because they know we are on to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Haystack View Post
    Meh.

I don't really like newer fords. I wouldn't buy one used, and I certainly wouldn't pay $300 a month for 7 years on a new one.

I was thinking now that I'm in my 30's with two kids, it might be time to grow up a bit and buy a four door car. Couldn't find anything I even wanted to test drive. My buddy bought a newer mustang, which was always on the back of my mind.

His 2012 5.0 is fast its cool, its really quite uncomfortable and awkward to drive. The window sills start at about my shoulder (and I'm 6'5), there's very little head room, and moving the seat back so I can get in and out requires all of the rear seat room. No joke, the seats touch, and rub, making a constant squeak. Back windows? Why even bother. Its 12" tall, blocked by the rear headrest, giving you a nice 8x4" square of the top of the center of the trunk lid. Forget about being able to back out in a tight space.

And even with these massive proportions, high doors, practically sitting on the floor, you still feel like you are sitting on the car, rather then in it. The trunk is pitifully small, and the gas tank is relatively small, giving it a range about half my tbird with nearly identical proportions. Yeah, its fast, its a ford, that's pretty much the only two things it has going for it, with a bunch of negatives.

Now getting to all the fwd ford 4 doors. Meh. Nothing really cool, not a lot of room, and still really uncomfortable. I drove my tbird 1100 miles each way to California to pick up a buddy of mine. We stopped to pee and get gas. In 28 hours of driving, that was it.

Now my fiesta, after an hour I have to walk around and stretch for 10 minutes, then I don't want to get back inside it. 40mpg highway is cool, but I'd rather get 28mpg and not take 15 hours to do 10 hours of driving.
    There are still some decent cars out there, they're just not going to be American makes. My new company car is a Subaru Legacy, the thing looks decent, is very comfortable, handles well, runs great, has a functional rear seat situation and a big trunk. It's loaded with electronics like dynamic cruise control that adjusts to traffic in front, automatic braking, lane assistance, etc. The backup camera is one of the best I've seen. It's made in the USA and comes loaded with pretty much everything but leather seats and a moonroof for well under $30k.

The main point of the story isn't that Ford isn't making cars anymore, just that they're not making and selling them in the US. They'll still make cars as Europe and most of Asia aren't interested in huge lumbering truck-cars and need efficiency as fuel is $6/gallon over there. It's just that when the pendulum swings back on gas prices, and it will, all of those cars will be produced overseas and imported to the US instead of made here.

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast