Close

Default Door lock actuator replacement - Install style?

(86 Capri)
    While my doors are apart, I'm replacing bushings, motors and the actuators. For the actuators, I have watched the CJ Pony vid where they use the old bracket, or the LMR vid where they replace the bracket and re-rivet it.

Which style do you prefer?

I bought the rivets (with the actuators) just in case, and was going to hit harbor freight for a large rivet gun ($20), which I don't mind owning.
    Last edited by 7ftbill; 04-26-2018 at 02:31 PM.

Either should work just fine. The rivets are just difficult to set properly without the correct rivet gun. Even with the proper gun you have to be careful not to chip or scratch the paint when the rivet mandrel finally snaps! Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

FEP Senior Member

I haven't done an actuator on a Mustang door, but I usually just pop the old actuator out of the bracket and install the new actuator into the existing bracket. Mostly because I don't own a rivet gun large enough for those rivets (nor do I care to buy a cheap one to do them), but also because on the actuators I have done it really was pretty easy to do it this way. I usually buy NOS Ford actuators off of ebay and they usually come with their own bracket which probably won't match the vehicle I am installing it in. I usually have to swap the rod ends as well. I tried the cheap aftermarket actuators once. Never again.
    '89 XR-7 5 Speed
    '95 SC 5 Speed
    '91 Crown Vic P72 351W
    '97 Thunderbird
    '85 Ford LTD Squire

Quote Originally Posted by KevinVarnes View Post
    I usually just pop the old actuator out of the bracket and install the new actuator into the existing bracket. Mostly because I don't own a rivet gun large enough for those rivets (nor do I care to buy a cheap one to do them),

I tried the cheap aftermarket actuators once. Never again.
    +1 on this
    1979 Indy Pace Car Mustang 302 / 5spd
    1982 Mustang GT T-Top 302 / 4spd
    1986 SVO Mustang - 1C

12 years ago, when Imgot my car, passengers side actuator was pooched.

When to the wreckers and grabbed 2 for $5. Changed the one, old bracket. Still works 12 years later.

The hack for the rubber rain protector is to us a bicycle inner tube. Saw that on the corvette forums.

I ended up just leaving the bracket and putting the new actuator in. Lots of cursing and contorting though! Just in case, I did buy the one with the bracket though, and picked up the correct rivet gun at harbor freight for 20 bucks.
    1984.5 GT 5.0 5 Speed ANALOG
    BBK Long Tubes/H pipe/FM
    Edelbrock Intake/Holley 600
    8.8 w/FMS 3.73s
    Steeda Shifter

2010 GT 5 Speed DIGITAL
    Track Pack
    Pypes Violator axle back
    Airaid Cold Air