Close

Default Looking for info on motor

My brother just picked up this Ford remanufactured 302 engine for $300. It was still attached to a crate, had a new reman oil pump also, and the person selling really had no info on it since it was his girlfriends fathers project and he passed away. I'm just curious if any info can be given from the pics before my brother tears it down. Thanks in advance.

Name:  IMG_20180420_210838.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  99.2 KBName:  00j0j_dkzCxzSvZTm_1200x900.jpg
Size:  66.8 KBName:  00W0W_d9InJGQ0aTI_1200x900.jpg
Size:  72.7 KBName:  00y0y_DmuFceZ2Cx_1200x900.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  101.1 KBName:  01414_4O5xRR8Ncsb_1200x900.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  85.5 KB

looks like an 1985 or newer 302 bored .060 over with mains and rods undersized by .010

heads look like they are E5's or E7's? casting numbers will tell you a bit more about what it really is. I'm guessing you have tried searing up the rebuilder and they are not to be found.

FEP Power Member

I purchased a Ford Reman long block back in the late 90s. Tnere was not much more info provided except maybe some oil pressure readings. The c2oz number indicates an earlier compatible 1962 vintage. What does not add up is callling it a 302. The 302 would be a c7 or c8 as it came out in the 68 model year. The casting numbers in the block and heads should reflect if it is a newer model.

I would go by the plate attached to the engine. Who knows where the box or crate came from. The refurbishment companies did not follow Fords numbering system exactly as they treated the parts as more universal or interchangeable.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

We used to buy Ford re-manufactured engines way back in the late seventies and early eighties at my Dad's shop. They are basically stock specs other than the over/under sized machined parts. They would have had all new pistons, bearings cam and such. Looks like it was poorly stored based on the surface rust. I'd want to open it up and see what the rest of it looked like before I went to the work of putting it in a car.

Looks like an 85 or newer roller motor...but punched to .060 oversized... Shouldn't matter with new pistons, but with the (86) on the tag, I would investigate.
    HAD
    '82 GT monochromatic (red)...black cloth

HAVE
    '85 GT vert two tone (white on charcoal)...white leather
    '00 F350 two tone (white on silver)...gray cloth
    '00 Excursion Limited two tone (white on tan)...tan leather...wifes ride
    '08 Taurus Limited ice blue...tan leather...daughter ride
    '08 Edge Limited white sand tri-coat metallic...tan leather...other daughters ride

I see an E5A_ casting number on the block.

If it was a re-man pulled from a scrapped production vehicle it should have a VIN on it. That will tell you what it's originally from. Not really relevant since it was rebuilt.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Thanks for the info so far. I'm hoping to post all info we find out once he gets the new engine stand.

4.060" is getting kinda thin on a roller block's cylinders...
    1986 CHP SSP Coupe

I see 3 x's in the valley. Late 80's early 90's roller block. Cam gear has eccentric for fuel pump.
    Last edited by 4idfox; 05-03-2018 at 07:17 PM.

XXX on the block doesn't mean anything
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Quote Originally Posted by 4idfox View Post
    I see 3 x's in the valley. Late 80's early 90's roller block. Cam gear has eccentric for fuel pump.
    Quote Originally Posted by FoxChassis View Post
    :-P
    Oh, Come On!
    There are a zillion better answers than "XXX doesn't mean anything".

I also maintain that it's an "X"-rated block. Only suitable for those over 18.

For more answers...
    http://www.google.com/search?q=site%...ral.net%2F+xxx

Otherwise, iirc, boring .60 over on the cylinders is staring to pushing it for anything other than stock power (~200HP).
    Imho, that's not a lot of meat to begin with between adjacent cylinders, to allow for very good head gasket sealing.

I always thought that 0.030 or 0.040 was the max overbore. So, I did some checking. Seems like some engine may be able to go to 0.060 over.

http://forums.corral.net/forums/5-0-...ore-5-0-a.html

http://forums.corral.net/forums/5-0-...ock-302-a.html

http://forums.corral.net/forums/5-0-...ore-302-a.html

Google search:
    https://www.google.com/search?q=site...+cylinder+bore

Btw, I choose Google, because Woody is very good and often replies.
    Imho, going by what Woody says (a professional engine builder) is a better bet, than what someone else says (often going by just their own experience). Still, imho, knowing individual experience is still useful!

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChassis View Post
    In my mind xxx means late 80's or 90's roller block. My mind has been wrong before.
    Have you seen early non roller blocks with xxx cast in the valley ?

Somebody here had a non-roller 'XXX' block.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder