Close

Default A little drama 5-speed

I know it's been kicked around some, so here I go.
    I have a low mile Thunderbird 3.8 SC 5-speed trans and 11" clutch that I want to install on my 5.0.
    I know I will need 164 tooth late model flywheel 50oz balancer, clutch cable conversion, release/throughout, pilot bearing
    This is going into a 1979 Hatchback V-8. What else might I encounter with this upgrade?
    Thanks
    Ed

Name:  DSCF0065.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  105.2 KB
    Name:  DSCF0066.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  114.8 KB
    Name:  m trans.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  53.4 KB
    Last edited by ThunderStruck; 04-25-2018 at 08:48 PM.

trans mount? speedometer? How does the shift lever placement compare to the stock set-up?

Might as well just throw a sn-95 t-5 out of a v-6. It bolts in place, is cheap and readily available.

The shifter is setup for a truck, literally. How the truck shifter relates to a t-5, I don't know. I'd checkout t-5 swaps on supercoupe and see where they end up, should give ya a good idea.

When I used an 11" setup, I used f-150 stuff, clutch pressure plate flywheel and everything. The m5od trans used a hydraulic clutch. The only fox hydraulic clutch pedal setup I know of is the 87-88 turbo coupe. Not sure how different the dash is on the early cars though.
    2 1986 cougars (both 4 eyed and 5.0)
    1 1987 cougar

I don't know much about this swap, but it looks like a lot of work and problems to overcome.

The T-5 uses a slip yoke. Does that trans? If it doesn't, a solid drive shaft will not work.
    That trans looks like it use an electric signal for the speedometer. Your Stang uses a cable driven speedometer.
    You would be best off to find a hydraulic master kit for a Fox Body and make a custom line for the slave cylinder.
    That trans looks much longer that the T-5, and shifter placement might be a consideration.
    Does the 3.8 have the same bell housing pattern as a 302?
    Fabricating a cross member will be a concern.

This is stuff just at first glance. The swap will be a lot of work, and in the long run you might be better off looking at other options.

The 79 engine will be a 28 oz balance so you can't use the 50 oz parts on it. You will have to find a later engine that is a 50 oz balance if that is the only flywheel that is compatible to the transmission. Mixing the two will result in destructive vibrations.

FEP Senior Member

When you find out let me know. I have three or four of these transmissions and one will eventually end up in my wagon. I've started collecting the hydraulic clutch pedal parts from a TC. I haven't checked out the difference between the SC clutch master and the TC clutch master bore sizes and pedal stroke. I do have a set of SC clutch pedals with the clutch master in my garage if you need any info from that.

Everybody says the shifter will be too far back for a Fox. I swear I've measured it on my car several times and it looks like it would be almost perfect. The centerline of the shifter is about 30-1/2" inches back from the front face of the bellhousing. I need to crawl under there and get some better measurements though.

You will find that nobody has any love for this transmission, but they are pretty stout. There is a reason they used this behind the torquey SC engine in the heavier MN12 chassis rather than the T-5. Most everyone knocks it because of its truck heritage. The transmissions in my '95 SC and '89 XR7 have always shifted well.

I do not know about the SBF and V6 flywheel issues. I don't see why there would be an issue running the proper flywheel for the engine application though. I run a Centerforce Dual Friction clutch in the Cougar and a Centerforce Gold in the SC. I don't think they (Centerforce) makes a clutch for the later model cars anymore. I've been happy with both.

The 3.8 does have the same bellhousing pattern as the SBF. It does use a VSS to feed the speedo so you will have to figure that out. It does use a slip yoke like the T-5, but you will probably have to alter the driveshaft length.
    '89 XR-7 5 Speed
    '95 SC 5 Speed
    '91 Crown Vic P72 351W
    '97 Thunderbird
    '85 Ford LTD Squire

I have a worked 1987 5.0 engine ready to go.
    Last edited by ThunderStruck; 04-26-2018 at 07:11 PM.

Its the same length and everything. Slip yoke same style clutch. Throw a 86ish 351w flywheel in for an f-150 and have at it.
    1 1987 cougar

If the vss is geared instead of a magnetic pick up, the stock Speedo will swap right in.
    1 1987 cougar

Thanks Guys,
    Today I got engine and trans unbolted, tomorrow I should know more...
    Ed
    Last edited by ThunderStruck; 04-26-2018 at 07:18 PM. Reason: me

Good luck man, let us know how it goes.
    1 1987 cougar