Close

Hybrid View

New User

Default 83 Capri Hatch - Poor Fit Issue

All - I would appreciate anyone that can help with this. I have a problem with proper fitment of the hatch to my 1983 Capri RS 5.0 T-Top.

I purchased the vehicle in 1990 and have since stripped the car to reveal no collision damage. However, when I bought it and to this day, despite my efforts the rear hatch appears to be about a half-inch wider than the rear of the car (quarter panel to quarter panel). The gap to the roof at the leading edge is fine, the gap to the drivers side is fine, but at the very rear of the hatch it hangs over the passenger-side quarter panel almost a half inch. This "extra" width of the hatch does not exist at the leading edge up on the roof but becomes more pronounced as the hatch extends back to the rear.

I have tried adjusting it till the sun went down, brought it to body shops where they swore they could adjust it and they failed and had one of them try to bend it to the point where I was afraid the bubble glass would break. The glass sits in the hatch with what you would consider a normal size gap around its entire perimeter.

Any ideas? I'm close to thinking, no matter how unlikely it seems, that the passenger quarter panel was welded to the body incorrectly or something. Again, the car has never been hit or otherwise damaged.

Thanks for your help.

Detailed pictures will help to provide suggestions for a solution to your problem.
    Mike
    Remember, "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts!"

1995 Ford Powerstroke F350 "Centurion" STRETCHED Crew Cab Dually

I like "Cut & Coach Built" vehicles!

www.musclecardeals.com

My 83 Capri has the same problem! I feel better just knowing my car is not alone in that oddity.

New User

I cant see how the condition can exist without the passenger quarter panel being spot welded "too tight" inboard to the rear panel that exists behind the bumper and holds the hatch striker. Otherwise, it cant exist the way it does.

Is your "extra hatch" on the same side as mine - the passenger side?

A pic would help, but I can say that problem doesnt exist on mine
    here's to the freakin' weekend,I'll drink to that

My 83 Capri t-top also has a poorly fitted hatch. On one side the hatch hangs over and the other side the hatch is inside the rear quarter by a quarter inch. My grey car doesn't have this problem.

"That Plymouth had a hemi with a torqueflite. I believe we sawed the guy off even if we did lose $200.”

My cars:
    83 Capri RS T-Top
    83 Capri RS
    82 Capri

Any Capri owners in the Bay Area, California? Email me lets meet up! Meezy2@gmail.com

The capri hatches do seem to overlap a bit. I have an 83 as well with original hatch. It's never had a rear hit, but was stolen and immediately had the nose stuffed into a telephone pole back in 2010. It doesn't leak and the struts work. Opens and closes butter smooth, but I do notice a slight overlap. Never concerned me really, but I'm not anal about that kinda thing. Older cars generally have imperfect panel gaps to some degree. I'll go look at it and measure/pics in the morning.
    owner of the 666th mercury produced in 1983.......neat fact! black on black 5.0 t-5 capri with no other options but fishnet seats.....coincidence.......perhaps

Upon inspection mine does line up everywhere until you get to the lower lip by the taillight panel. It sticks out a hair more on the passenger side. Doesn't really seem abnormal to me for a car from this time period. Opens, closes, seals fine. I did have to readjust my hatch striker once as the latch was frozen and my gf just kept slamming it to no avail! There are also a couple plastic/rubber pieces on each corner that could possibly be adjusted to remedy this. Is this what you're talking about or am I off the mark here?
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    owner of the 666th mercury produced in 1983.......neat fact! black on black 5.0 t-5 capri with no other options but fishnet seats.....coincidence.......perhaps

You also need to keep in mind that the bubble hatch WAS an afterthought. These cars came with mustang hatches 79-82, and they bolt right on an 83-86 capri.

I have a 1986 Capri with no wrecks or hatch damage and I have the same problem. you are not alone.
    1986 ACS McLaren Capri
    1971 Mustang
    1968 F100

We have two '82 GT's, one has a hatch hangover. Driver side.
    Married to the same Mustang since 03/29/82

My 83 Capri has double hang overs... it has bugged me till 3 mins ago when I learned it wasn't just me.