All - I would appreciate anyone that can help with this. I have a problem with proper fitment of the hatch to my 1983 Capri RS 5.0 T-Top.

I purchased the vehicle in 1990 and have since stripped the car to reveal no collision damage. However, when I bought it and to this day, despite my efforts the rear hatch appears to be about a half-inch wider than the rear of the car (quarter panel to quarter panel). The gap to the roof at the leading edge is fine, the gap to the drivers side is fine, but at the very rear of the hatch it hangs over the passenger-side quarter panel almost a half inch. This "extra" width of the hatch does not exist at the leading edge up on the roof but becomes more pronounced as the hatch extends back to the rear.

I have tried adjusting it till the sun went down, brought it to body shops where they swore they could adjust it and they failed and had one of them try to bend it to the point where I was afraid the bubble glass would break. The glass sits in the hatch with what you would consider a normal size gap around its entire perimeter.

Any ideas? I'm close to thinking, no matter how unlikely it seems, that the passenger quarter panel was welded to the body incorrectly or something. Again, the car has never been hit or otherwise damaged.

Thanks for your help.