Close

Default Correct Paint For Charcoal Hood Inlay

Hello, I decided to repaint the gray hood insert on my car. The car is black and the trim is charcoal gray. I’d like some feedback as to the correct paint color/texture needed. I’ve heard that sem charcoal 39153 is the closest match for he color. Is this correct? Also, is it supposed to have a matte or flat finish? I’m pretty sure it’s not gloss.

Same question for the “GT” emblem.

Any help from someone who has done this before would be greatly appreciated. I would like to keep the car as stock looking as possible.

Thanks,
    Matt
    Last edited by Matt1986gt; 04-21-2018 at 08:53 AM.
    Previous:
    79 Notchback
    86 GT
    93 GT Convertible

Current:
    86 GT Convertible

The SEM paint is a little light in shade IMHO. It's also an interior trim paint, so it won't have the durability and/or longevity. The hood stripe is a large area so the rattle can option is probably not the best. To answer your question, the charcoal accent trim is a satin finish, which is close to a matte finish. Because my 1985 GT vert has the lower 2 tone accent I chose to but the stencil and paint the hood stripe with the rest of the car. I had given the original owner and long time friend some parts in 87 from a very low mileage 86 GT vert that was totaled...I was getting other parts for my then 82 GT. He put them away in covered storage and they were still intact and like new when he sold me the 85 GT back in 2011. I did alot of research and ended up having Sherwin Williams automotive special mix a commercial product...Coca Cola, Pepsi, Budweiser, etc. utilize it...to match the trim from the 86. My painter sprayed a couple test shots until we had it very close to the color shade and finish. I also had pictures he gave me to somewhat confirm the color shade on the accent trim from back in 1985 when the car got its first wash. If interested, you can do a search and find the product and/or mix for it. I will caution you though it is not the most economical solution but I can tell you it still looks like the day I picked it up from the paint shop back then. The picture below was taken the day I got the car back from paint. I had to install all the trim back on the car and then take it back so he could buff the white field color.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by bwguardian; 04-21-2018 at 08:59 AM.
    HAD
    '82 GT monochromatic (red)...black cloth

HAVE
    '85 GT vert two tone (white on charcoal)...white leather
    '00 F350 two tone (white on silver)...gray cloth
    '00 Excursion Limited two tone (white on tan)...tan leather...wifes ride
    '08 Taurus Limited ice blue...tan leather...daughter ride
    '08 Edge Limited white sand tri-coat metallic...tan leather...other daughters ride

Nothing against the SEM paint as it is good quality and matches pretty well in many cases, but in an exterior situation it does not hold up long term, especially on Daily Drivers or cars that aren't stored indoors.

The correct color code for the 85/86 Dark Charcoal Grey Trim paint should be PPG #DDL 33717. Your local auto paint supplier should be able to use that code to mix the proper color. I will tell you that you want to test and verify. I had an issue with the mix in one brand by my supplier where the color had too much violet in the mix and had a purple hue when sprayed. In a difference brand it was spot on.

In regards to the sheen, as mentioned the sheen should be a Satin/Matte finish. In my experience I have found flattening the clear to a 50-60% gloss usually works well. Some suppliers offer premixed Satin/Matte/Flat clears. I personally prefer to make my own with flattening agent in regular clear as that gives me the most flexibility. Hope that helps and good luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

I masked my hood by hand and used the SEM cans. It has held up well for about 6 1/2 years and still looks great. My car is garaged all of the time, and is a "fair weather" driver. I have some pics in my albums.
    Last edited by banzaibullitt; 04-21-2018 at 03:29 PM.
    Project "WinBacK" 1986 LX Hatchback
    - CA car, 5.0 w/5 speed
    - Cobra 17x8.5's + Modded Mach1 Chin Spoiler + 83-84 Hood & Scoop/85-86 "Blackout"+ FMS Mass Air Kit+ MM Clutch Cable & Quadrant + Fiore Cable Adjuster + MM SFC's+ Wild Rides "Battle Boxes" + Explorer Intake, Converted TB & Injectors, 70 mm Mass Air Meter + BBK Ceramic Shorties + 2.5" Bassani O/R X-Pipe & Cat-Back Exhaust w/ 3" Tips + 3L27 w/ Carbon Fiber Clutches​(out of retirement) + Pistol Grip Shifter + 99-04 GT Front/00 Cobra Rear Disc Brakes

I have a test spray out from Trey for my 85 Saleen. The charcoal is spot on.

All done!Name:  0FC897ED-2A4C-4DAD-89F7-BF7CFB71BB0B.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  99.7 KB
    Previous:
    79 Notchback
    86 GT
    93 GT Convertible

Current:
    86 GT Convertible

Looks great!

Thanks so much!
    Previous: