Close

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: 1986 LTD Wagon

FEP Senior Member

As far as I know there are almost no aftermarket parts produced for these cars unless it also fits a Mustang. I haven't seen a fox LTD/Marquis in a junkyard in many moons.

The 4.2 V6 heads have machined pockets for the fuel injectors for the multi port fuel injection they used so they will not work with your CFI. Any 3.8/4.2 head from '88 up will have these pockets.

These cars have the 7.5" rearend, but an 8.8" rearend can be swapped in relatively easily.

Your car has a C5 trans. I believe the 2.3 cars may have received the C3, but the wagon was only available with the 3.8/C5 combo.

You can bolt a later AOD or 4R70W trans to your car as long is it has the SBF bellhousing bolt pattern. The 3.8 has the same bellhousing pattern as the SBF. Getting either to work will require some work. The 4R70W needs something to control it. There are standalone controllers available to do this. The AOD is controlled completely by the TV cable so it would be cheaper to get up and running as long as it is set up properly otherwise it will burn up in short order.
    '89 XR-7 5 Speed
    '95 SC 5 Speed
    '91 Crown Vic P72 351W
    '97 Thunderbird
    '85 Ford LTD Squire

FEP User

thanks Kevin.

I was thinkin of getting every thing above the gasket w/the head. A '98 f-150 has been offered so MPEFI (grab the engine harness too) means I can have OBDII. My question is will it be more peppy than mine as is. A 1 day swap-in is possible w/this manner. If I ask (& get a "yes, mildly") it might not be worth 1/2 the performance equation ("yes MPGs; no on pep"). Both time AND financial constraints on my part (no bent8 available free either).

"...no aftr mrkt prts, if not 'stang..."
    a 2nd reason I got this ('78 - '04 - 17 yrs & the desirable stang. After mrkt support like my bronk). 1st is I need nother wagon after 4, 5 yrs w/o (1/2 doz wagons for about 50 yrs of driving). After 7 yrs I grabbed one that's in need of a bit of interior/exterior trim. Hope my inpatients has not done me in. I can stand a sloppy DD but a lill more crispness is needed. For instance I need the ext chrome windshield strip on drivers side to replace the gasket, do a better job than gorilla tape @ weather proofing.

"...7.5 rearend but an 8.8..."
    The 8 inch is not so easy to install? E V E N Y T U A L L Y I'll seek a '96/8 explorer for drivetrain spindle/knuck etc. That, tube K member, coil overs, etc are a long way off but the shop hasa ol Mav 8 inch. May need lengthened...

I forgot the AOD needs kickdwn/TV & carb. May B I'll need to match head w/transms. I saw the 4r70w has a separate controller (Y its in the mix), might use that no matter the motor. I picked AOD due to non-ele & got into another constraint. Such is the moder's world...

Lots of related "Fullers" in GR (actually family's from Holland) area. 6 Founders on my cool pantry floor so I send my thanks to you and the upper Mid West!
    Last edited by chrlsful; 10-27-2021 at 05:37 PM.
    Chad
    Seeking: fox station wagon int/ext trim (esp LTD/Marquis)
    Retire/restore ol Bronk to daughter
    chrlsful@aol.com

There is some performance support for the 3.8, but it's not cheap. http://moranav6racing.com/

Explorer drivetrain/suspension is not going to fit without extensive modification. 4R70W would be the exception. But as stated, it needs an external controller. https://www.usshift.com/?utm_source=...60c27d7903d082
    The 8.8's internals can be used with any 8.8(gears, carrier)

The 8" rear that you have would need suspension attachment points welded, I have no idea about the width.

My Father's family came from Holland(Groningen) in the early 1900s.

Plans for my wagon? Right now I'm just keeping it running and it's serving as my DD

FEP User

Mav's 8 inch is one of the narrowest (short) made.

Thnx 4 da links ! I will deff ck them out. Its all research right now. (& $ savings)~

May dad (96 y/o) sez there were folks in wooden shoes there as he grew up...

"...Plans for my wagon?..."
    yeah, dat guy is nice'n shinny. Jelious here. 8^ 0
    Chad
    chrlsful@aol.com

FEP User

Krazy:
    Didn't look C4 from underneath on lift, ordered C5 stuff as I could C atf pouring down. Frnt pump gasket & 2 C5 seals.
    Pulled it and it was the paper frnt gasket. -Ripped/scrapped on instal? Pan gasket would not fit, source sent me a C4 which fit. IDed my trans incorrectly it is a C4 (thank ye gods, more aftr mrkt support). Back in, runs good, no leaks anymore~
    Chad
    chrlsful@aol.com

Quote Originally Posted by chrlsful View Post
    Krazy:
    Didn't look C4 from underneath on lift, ordered C5 stuff as I could C atf pouring down. Frnt pump gasket & 2 C5 seals.
    Pulled it and it was the paper frnt gasket. -Ripped/scrapped on instal? Pan gasket would not fit, source sent me a C4 which fit. IDed my trans incorrectly it is a C4 (thank ye gods, more aftr mrkt support). Back in, runs good, no leaks anymore~
    C4 and C5 should have the same pan gasket.

The C5 is really an updated version of the C4. C5 has improved oiling. Many parts interchange. Main difference being the lock-up torque converter and the resulting deeper bell housing. There are some minor differences though. I'm pretty sure the C5 can be run with the C4 bell and converter as well as the C4 valve body. I think the lock-up converter is a weak point behind a powerful V8, I'm not sure Ford ever put a C5 in a V8 car or truck.
    https://www.diyford.com/everything-y...transmissions/

FEP User

yup, hada C4 I put in the bronk, put a shift kit in reverse manual valve body, but not really 'get to know it'.

Justa place holder as I want to look closer at od options (w/carb change or, I like the '88+ head/MPFI). Thinkin a 4.2 head...
    An engine harness, brain, and interface for the 4r70w's ele controller, could come w/a junk explorer (rear end, 5 lug, etc).
    Big step but easily done incrementally, may B a windstar top end...
    Just collecting info, saving and planning - meanwhile, hope to get some use...
    Chad
    chrlsful@aol.com

So, I've had this coolant leak from between the timing cover and the engine block on the passenger side. Not a big leak, but you could smell antifreeze when it warmed up and that side was wet. No dripping on the driveway. Finally decided to fix it. There's a LOT in the way of removing the timing cover on a 3.8. It's pretty straight forward though. Except when you find this:
    Apparently, these things are made of unobtanium at the present time. So, the wagon is going to laid up for a bit.

Well, FedEx says my damper is on the way, so I'm kinda surprised, but that's good

FEP User

what did U decide?
    Chad
    chrlsful@aol.com

Quote Originally Posted by chrlsful View Post
    what did U decide?
    The damper is on the way, supposedly, so for now the 6 stays. Gotta be more prepared for changing things up.

FEP User

Default HB fix

Quote Originally Posted by gmatt View Post
    for now the 6 stays.
    No I meant the HB. Dampner Doc?
    Oh, I C the Pioneer is coming~
    No reason 4a new motor just for a dampner...

Yeah, nuttin wrong w/a bent6. Plenty tq, nuff HP.
    Wish I could get more'n a bare head from the 4.2.
    Like to do a 20 yr up-grade to SP or MP efi, the OBDII also !
    Chad
    chrlsful@aol.com

FedEx just now delivered the damper. I started on it this morning to reassemble as much as possible without the damper, but now it's here. I'm calling it quits for today though, too hot. 95 in the shade and I'm not in the shade.

I decided to replace lower radiator hose while I'm at it and wouldn't you know, no local parts stores have it in stock. Had to order it. This parts availability/shortage seems to be real.

It is a real thing for sure. I stocked up on oil filters a while back, might want to to pick up some maintenance parts when you see them
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

Well, that's all done. Did I mention I changed the timing set while I had the cover off? The old chain had a bit of slack. Just took a test drive, so far so good. No leaks and it seems smoother, peppier. It used to do this chugging/lugging thing while cruising at light load,, 40-ish mph. That seems to be gone now. Next up? Heater core.

FEP Senior Member Patrick Olsen's Avatar

So, I've had this coolant leak from between the timing cover and the engine block on the passenger side. Not a big leak, but you could smell antifreeze when it warmed up and that side was wet. No dripping on the driveway. Finally decided to fix it. There's a LOT in the way of removing the timing cover on a 3.8. It's pretty straight forward though. Except when you find this:
    Apparently, these things are made of unobtanium at the present time. So, the wagon is going to laid up for a bit.
    I can see the [img] tags and the link in between, but no image shows up for me. Are others able to see the picture?

I decided to replace lower radiator hose while I'm at it and wouldn't you know, no local parts stores have it in stock. Had to order it. This parts availability/shortage seems to be real.
    Well, you were trying to obtain a part for a 36-year-old car. While they sold pretty well at the time, there aren't a whole lot of them around anymore.
    '89 GT convertible - not a four-eye
    '82 Zephyr Z7 - future track car

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Olsen View Post
    I can see the [img] tags and the link in between, but no image shows up for me. Are others able to see the picture?

Patrick, I just looked and I can't even see them now. The picture was of my damper coming apart. Deciding to fix the leak now was 'good timing'.

Well, you were trying to obtain a part for a 36-year-old car. While they sold pretty well at the time, there aren't a whole lot of them around anymore.
    Good point. The timing set and gasket set were both in stock though. The cross reference for the lower hose showed several other vehicles that use it. Not all were Fords, but still, most were from the '80s.

Been struggling with the heater core for 2 days, I'll finish it tomorrow. What a PITA!

Yup. Not a fun job.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

FEP Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck W View Post
    Yup. Not a fun job.
    I feel your pain...

Name:  Zephyr heater core all apart.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  482.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Wells View Post
    I feel your pain...

Name:  Zephyr heater core all apart.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  482.0 KB
    No A/C? The accumulator(?) on the other side of the firewall wouldn't allow me to pull the hvac box out that far.

I finally installed seat track extensions for the driver seat. These were designed for Fox chassis cars with a slightly different style seat track, so both the extensions and seat tracks needed to be modified to fit. The floor pan needed a couple swats with a mash hammer too. But, they are in and I can stretch out my long legs (I'm 6' 5"). The seat is actually too far back if I put it all the way to the end of the track.

FEP Member

No A/C? The accumulator(?) on the other side of the firewall wouldn't allow me to pull the hvac box out that far.

It has A/C. It's a1981 Zephyr wagon so maybe it's different?

Tom

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast