Close

Default 86 GT Hood decal help

Looking to replace my hood decal, previous owner installed the wrong shade it's too light. Help needed to order the correct shade and where is the best place to purchase from. Thank you...

What color is your car? I just had the same problem. Didn’t notice until after it had been installed
    Previous:
    79 Notchback
    86 GT
    93 GT Convertible

Current:
    86 GT Convertible

i need a darker shade the one on the hood is light gray...i need it to match my or close to the molding sem black...

Quote Originally Posted by Matt1986gt View Post
    What color is your car? I just had the same problem. Didn’t notice until after it had been installed

here is the hood might be hard to tell though:

Name:  xxxxxx.jpg
Views: 375
Size:  52.6 KB

Has the car been painted? That hood accent actually looks closer to what's supposed to be...but then it could be the lighting...
    HAD
    '82 GT monochromatic (red)...black cloth

HAVE
    '85 GT vert two tone (white on charcoal)...white leather
    '00 F350 two tone (white on silver)...gray cloth
    '00 Excursion Limited two tone (white on tan)...tan leather...wifes ride
    '08 Taurus Limited ice blue...tan leather...daughter ride
    '08 Edge Limited white sand tri-coat metallic...tan leather...other daughters ride

are the lights too dark?

picts from 86 Mustang production line showing a white GT. Pic of a white 85 Saleen when new.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by erratic50; 04-20-2018 at 11:29 AM.

You might try taping off the white paint and hitting the decal with black shoe polish or a product called black again. The challenge is not getting it too black and getting it even. The process is relatively forgiving and when you are happy you can wax it. Lasts a long time.

a lot of the detail shops would put petroleum jelly on the stickers then wipe them down and wax them with the hood. Usually looked pretty good for a while afterwards.

Car was repainted prior to purchase and the sticker was was also replaced at the same time...yeah the lighting doesn't really show how off it really is...

Quote Originally Posted by bwguardian View Post
    Has the car been painted? That hood accent actually looks closer to what's supposed to be...but then it could be the lighting...

I have used black again back in the day, but this shade is really more gray than sem black, but I'll try it again see what happens, don't want to really pull it off, but it bug the heck out of me lol Thank you..

Quote Originally Posted by erratic50 View Post
    You might try taping off the white paint and hitting the decal with black shoe polish or a product called black again. The challenge is not getting it too black and getting it even. The process is relatively forgiving and when you are happy you can wax it. Lasts a long time.

a lot of the detail shops would put petroleum jelly on the stickers then wipe them down and wax them with the hood. Usually looked pretty good for a while afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie L View Post
    I have used black again back in the day, but this shade is really more gray than sem black, but I'll try it again see what happens, don't want to really pull it off, but it bug the heck out of me lol Thank you..
    You could try graphics express. They sell color samples to determine which color you need. Just be careful, as some of there colors are not available as the full hood decal. My 86 was repainted by the previous owner, and the color gray they used on the trim is not correct. Graphics Express had a sample that matched perfectly, but they said that they would need to special order a roll in that color to make the hood decal. The "upcharge" for the color was $200 on top of the cost of their "custom color" option. Needless to say, I'm having my stripe painted.
    1986 Mustang GT.
    1986 Mustang GT Vert
    1989 5.0 LX
    1986 5.0 LX Drag Car
    1982 5.0 GT
    1986 Mercury Capri
    1981 Mustang wide body. MM&FF cover car Jan 1998
    1979 Pace Car

I actually just gave up in the decal and went the paint route. I probably should have done that from the beginning.Name:  85C0F540-E0EA-4282-98EA-30EEC730C692.jpg
Views: 284
Size:  45.4 KBName:  801ED938-2128-4644-80E7-1D396700207C.jpg
Views: 283
Size:  104.6 KB
    Previous:
    79 Notchback
    86 GT
    93 GT Convertible

Current:
    86 GT Convertible

I actually just gave up in the decal and went the paint route. I probably should have done that from the beginning.Name:  85C0F540-E0EA-4282-98EA-30EEC730C692.jpg
Views: 284
Size:  45.4 KBName:  801ED938-2128-4644-80E7-1D396700207C.jpg
Views: 283
Size:  104.6 KB
    what brand of paint did you use? part number? is it single stage or bb/cc with satin clear?
    John
    85 gt ttop
    86 coupe
    89 5.0 lx vert
    90 LX Hatch
    05 Power Stroke

PPG paint in satin. I don’t believe it was cleared over it. Ive been really happy with it
    Previous:
    79 Notchback
    86 GT
    93 GT Convertible

Current:
    86 GT Convertible

PPG paint in satin. I don’t believe it was cleared over it. Ive been really happy with it
    do you have the paint code for it?
    John
    85 gt ttop
    86 coupe
    89 5.0 lx vert
    90 LX Hatch
    05 Power Stroke

No, not a 85-86 but still on topic I think. I did something similar to Matt1986 but sort of opposite. Just throwing ideas out. This whole hood was painted at the same time with the same paint gun. no masking or tape at all. Then we masked off the OUTSIDE and sprayed the center of the hood with FLAT clear. It proved to be very durable and did not get shiny spots when bugs were removed etc.

Quote Originally Posted by homer302 View Post
    No, not a 85-86 but still on topic I think. I did something similar to Matt1986 but sort of opposite. Just throwing ideas out. This whole hood was painted at the same time with the same paint gun. no masking or tape at all. Then we masked off the OUTSIDE and sprayed the center of the hood with FLAT clear. It proved to be very durable and did not get shiny spots when bugs were removed etc.

This came out fantastic! I was very happy the way mine came out as well. I’ve received several compliments on it so it definitely was the right decision in retrospect
    Previous:
    79 Notchback
    86 GT
    93 GT Convertible

Current:
    86 GT Convertible