Close

Default Need encouragement or advice. Please.

Been gone a while. Recently have gotten time to work on my back burner 79 Mustang Cobra project. As with all my projects they start becoming more stress and less excitement. I even took a loan out at one point in hopes for getting it running but changing one part lead to needing another. I am sure this same story has been told a thousand times, even with running projects there is always something else that can be done or that breaks. This week I thought I would do the rear drums because I have been sitting on the parts for longer than I can remember. Well I found that the axle seals probably need to be replaced because there was thick sludge inside behind the hub. Tomorrow I am going to go buy a battery in an attempt to just get the engine to start just for a glimpse of hope that this project might work out. This has been an on again off again project for over 10 years. I hate to see it die as I feel it is sort of unique. So my question, I guess, is when do I give up? How would you price a non-running project with numerous aftermarket parts?

Just read through a couple build threads here, that should get the juices going again. Keep it. You will always regret letting it go. You probably have way more in it than it's worth, just like the rest of us, so it doesn't get any money back. Sorry dude your stuck, finish it!

It's taken me almost 29 years to get mine done. You're doing fine.

Unfortunately you are experiencing the same issues that so many of us here deal with. So you are not alone or cursed in any way, although I know at times it feels like it!

I love working on and building my Fox Mustangs and honestly at this point, I haven't driven one of them in almost 3 years at this point and that one was my Pace Car and I only got to drive it once in the last 5 years due to work, car issues, and lack of being at home. So I completely feel your pain and frustration. I personally have 3 Fox projects all going on at the same time right now, just to show you how insane I am! Oh and I am building 2 other Mustangs for others! Yep! I have issues.

The best advice I can give you is enjoy working on the Cobra as much as you can. When things get too intense or stressful then walk away for an hour, a day, a week, a month, whatever it takes until the fun returns.

The next best advice I can give you is to sit down and determine what MUST be done to get the car driveable at this point. Probably NOT a perfect driver, but what HAS to be done to be able to drive the car to Sonic, the local car show, the auto parts store, the grocery store, etc. Nothing crazy, not a 100 mile or 1,000 mile trip, but maybe a 10 mile trip without issues or concerns that you will need to be towed home.

Being able to at least drive the car can really help with the desires to keep going and keep the car. Often it's not that much to get the car road worthy and many of us jump off the deep end and decide to blow the car apart for a full on restoration or customization only to lose interest and ultimately get rid of the car only to regret it later.

Yes, all too often fixing one thing on these 30+ year old cars does lead to needing to fix something else. That happens to all of us, but don't let something like a couple of axle seals stop you from enjoying the car. If you don't have the time, money, or desires to repair them now that's OK. Most likely the car will still be able to drive even with a small leak from the axle seal. Now if it's a big leak that might cause you to wreck the car, then by all means fix that first before driving.

Take a realistic look at what has to be done to get the car on the road for at least the quick trip across town, etc. Then start making a list of projects/repairs that can be done in a couple of nights after work, or on a Saturday, or at most a long weekend. But do everything you can to keep the car driveable as much as possible. That will allow you to make progress on the project, but keep you enjoying the car as much as possible when you aren't wrenching on it.

Ultimately put off any long term repairs until the winter or bad weather months when you don't or can't drive the Cobra and you will be much happier. Bottom line is do all you can to keep the car unless you really have lost interest in the Cobra, because unfortunately if/when you sell it . . . it will be much harder to find another one once you start missing the Cobra. Best of Luck!
    Last edited by wraithracing; 04-12-2018 at 12:42 AM.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Yea, and I’ve talked to Trey about my current project he’s working on plus 2 more......

One of them (my son’s) isnt too bad, just a little rust on ragtop doors and a little in the strut towers. The current build is a huge 1985GT + Racecraft suspension car that I bought as a roller— we are building it out as an 85 Saleen. (Parts made of unobtanium!)

the last one is my 1/2 million mile 86GT. A damn rusty old piece of tired iron.

Ive refused over the years to have the four eyed foxes become or stay undriveable. There is no greater motivation than a well tuned turned up foxbody. Well, except for maybe a well modified one.

If my son’s mostly Stock 86GT is a blast, my modified 86GT is a riot. Can’t wait to drive the Saleen that we’re going off on more or less.

my kid’s love for these cars is because of my 1986GT they rode in as little kids

enjoy the hobby!

Thanks for all the support and stories. The build sort of started off past the deep end. At one point I kept going just because a neighbor/mechanic said you can't convert a FI engine to a carb. I have learned a lot along the way and the project has made me think of other projects that I could swap a 302 into. Hopefully things will go okay today, I am not expecting it to fire up on the first try but would be wonderful if it did start today or at least did not blow to pieces or catch on fire.

We have all been there. It seems like every time I touch mine, 15 other things pop up on it. I made the mistake with the last car of biting off a ton at once and I was overwhelmed and lost interest. The next car was different though as I scheduled all of the major repairs for the winter time and put it all back together to enjoy during the summer. Yes....it makes for a repetitive process but it is worth it to me to be able to enjoy it. While I have pondered selling it once or twice due to no time to do what I want with it, I can’t see myself doing it as I enjoy the car way too much. In fact, I ended up getting a second car for a larger project because I’m not very smart.

Name:  6C023BA4-20DF-4002-A140-4E7294921648.jpg
Views: 206
Size:  109.4 KB

It takes time, but the fire usually starts burning again.
    Brock
    1984 Mustang LX Convertible 3.8L V-6/Auto (SOLD)
    1984 Mustang GT Hatchback 5.0 V-8/5 Speed

I'm an FEP Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

I agree with Trey; Get the car driveable, even if it's only driveable for short trips. If something breaks that prevents you from driving it then make that the biggest priority. Poke away at all the other things one at a time, when you want to. Try to break down repairs into small chunks so the car remains driveable in between.

Not to get too philosophical, but you need to find enjoyment with what you have or you will be forever chasing rainbows. A lot of guys get sucked into the trap of, "it has to be the best or it's nothing." They can't enjoy it unless the bodywork is flawless, it has the most power, biggest brakes, biggest tires, yadda, yadda, yadda...

Driving a dented, rusty, faded, leaky, slow beater can be enjoyable if you accept it for what it is.

Brock... your wife must be as pleased as mine to cone home and find another car laying around. ( just got a line on what seams to be a pretty decent 84 gt roller). Wife has added a new bitmoji to my texts, it's an angry face.

the axle seals "probably" needed to be done... I think you have your expectations too high. Either the axle seals are leaking or they are not. They all seep after time. Put brakes on it and move along. Let's not worry about an axle seal that might go bad one day. Assuming one were to blow out, you have lost the brakes shoes only. They would probably be ruined. All the hardware and drums would still be new. Just clean it all out. But that is something that MIGHT happen one day. Get it running. The car is 30 years old and has a lot of wants and needs but only so many things to get it running. I would say make a list of what it would take to be able to start it and write that down and don't add a single item to it until those are all done. Sure, you may run across something else that does actually HAVE to be done to drive it but I wouldn't worry about it until the original list is done. Let's get it running as step 1 and then we can move on to drive and stop.
    Of course, on the other hand, there is nothing wrong with throwing in the towel. Was it Clint Eastwood that said "A Man's got to know his limitations." You probably learned a lot and you did something I bet not many of your friends have. At least you tried. It's not easy to rescue a 30 year old project like that. But I would hang on to it. You are going to take a loss I bet selling it now and if it's not costing you anything to let it sit there, hang on to it.

I have been away from the 4 eyed party for years, I wanted to build my 69 falcon and that took over 6 yrs and so I think its been at least 8 yrs since I drove a capri but here I am back again. This is my new baby I found for $200.00. For me its a joy to see what I can do.... its a love so enjoy it
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    2017 Ford Explorer Sport (DD) 1986 Capri 5.0 Silver/Red
    1969 Falcon XW GTHO coupe (SOLD) went to Australia
    Past 4 eyes-
    4th. 1981 Capri "White" Black Magic I6
    3rd. 1984 Capri RS V8 Black/grey
    2nd. 1984 Capri RS V8 White/red
    1st. 1984 SVO Grey/grey (traded it for a worn out 1970 BOSS 302)
    Both '84 Capri's vin# were 10 away from each other
    U.S. NAVY 1980-2009

I'm there with you too. My car has been frustrating me more in recent years than I've felt I could post on here. Because, you know, first world problems... The net effect between enjoyment and frustration in recent years has been heavily skewed towards frustration. Part of it is my own fault, which is the worst part. I keep making more work for myself by changing things that didn't need to be changed. Just like you said. Some of it is just plain bad luck like buying a bad part. My car is technically "running" but has all sorts of issues that lead me to not feel safe driving it very far.

The problem i have right now is I have young kids, so I only get time to work in it in fits and spurts. And needing it to be my "distraction", there's a lot of pressure for things to go well when I DO get time. Often times that doesn't happen, or I run into a snag I could have spent a whole day trying to work through in the past, but I just don't have that kind of time anymore.

I've decided to keep a sort of discipline about it this year. DON'T START ANYTHING NEW. I need to wrap up my A/C project, and a few other minor things, and then hopefully I can get the thing to a shop and have my engine fully sorted out and tuned by people I can trust to do it (as opposed to myself). And then... I will drive it. THAT'S IT. We'll see how that goes...

Best of luck with your project, man. Hang in there!
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

FEP Senior Member

I can only echo what everyone else has said about getting it running. I had my own version of frustration about two weeks ago. I had wanted to get my coupe running finally by 4/1, and I'm not there yet. I've been working for 2 years on mine. My plans changed about 8 months in, whic has been the source of all my delays. It went from a 4-cylinder carb coupe with an EFI drivetrain to a widebody, tucked engine harness, about everything custom, etc. At this point I'm almost done for this year. I can already tell that if I don't just get it running I'll and put off cosmetic stuff until the Winter that I'll be targeting next Spring to drive it.

As everyone has said. Get it running. Make a list of what you can do along the way. Most importantly enjoy the car. It's about the experience.