Close

Default Driveshaft Loop Instead Of SFC Seat Cross Braces?

So, I have through-floor SFCs. The guy at the shop who did them recommended to me that I figure out a way to install seat cross-braces like normal pre-made SFCs come with. I'd had a number of ideas in my head for how to do that. I recently bought myself a driveshaft safety loop. I noticed it goes pretty close to where those seat cross-braces would go. Since it is a brace of sorts and perpendicular to the frame rails in about the right spot, do you think that would pretty much serve the same function as the seat cross-braces do? If the loop bracket doesn't quite meet up with the frame rails, I was thinking of having extensions welded in between so that they would. I guess there's probably not much opportunity for flex in the small space in between the 4 bolts for the loop bracket and the frame rails though.

What do you think?
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

The seat braces help keep the floor pans from cracking. Building your own custom seat braces and welding them to the subframe connectors, and tying them into the drive shaft safety loop sounds like a good idea to me. Just make sure you can still remove your driveshaft easily enough before you do anything too permanent.

Cale

I think what I'm actually going to do is make some brackets that extend from the driveshaft loop bracket to the SFCs. Maybe work in the seat bolts too. It's hard to picture without being under there though. The driveshaft loop's directions don't have pictures and pictures online are scarce. Ideally I'd like to do something bolt-on since I don't weld.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

How about these? https://lmr.com/item/LRS-11135RP/79-...orcement-Panel

My Mustang has them from the factory. IIRC they are riveted in.
    Project "WinBacK" 1986 LX Hatchback
    - CA car, 5.0 w/5 speed
    - Cobra 17x8.5's + Modded Mach1 Chin Spoiler + 83-84 Hood & Scoop/85-86 "Blackout"+ FMS Mass Air Kit+ MM Clutch Cable & Quadrant + Fiore Cable Adjuster + MM SFC's+ Wild Rides "Battle Boxes" + Explorer Intake, Converted TB & Injectors, 70 mm Mass Air Meter + BBK Ceramic Shorties + 2.5" Bassani O/R X-Pipe & Cat-Back Exhaust w/ 3" Tips + 3L27 w/ Carbon Fiber Clutches​(out of retirement) + Pistol Grip Shifter + 99-04 GT Front/00 Cobra Rear Disc Brakes

Quote Originally Posted by banzaibullitt View Post
    How about these? https://lmr.com/item/LRS-11135RP/79-...orcement-Panel

My Mustang has them from the factory. IIRC they are riveted in.
    Yeah, maybe. Hmm. The more I look at this, the more I'm thinking welding will need to be involved. Even those would need to be modified for the through floor SFCs and attached to them somehow.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Who did the SFC's for you? Do you have a picture of the underside?
    - CA car, 5.0 w/5 speed
    - Cobra 17x8.5's + Modded Mach1 Chin Spoiler + 83-84 Hood & Scoop/85-86 "Blackout"+ FMS Mass Air Kit+ MM Clutch Cable & Quadrant + Fiore Cable Adjuster + MM SFC's+ Wild Rides "Battle Boxes" + Explorer Intake, Converted TB & Injectors, 70 mm Mass Air Meter + BBK Ceramic Shorties + 2.5" Bassani O/R X-Pipe & Cat-Back Exhaust w/ 3" Tips + 3L27 w/ Carbon Fiber Clutches​(out of retirement) + Pistol Grip Shifter + 99-04 GT Front/00 Cobra Rear Disc Brakes

St. Croix Auto Works in Lakeland. I don't have one of the underside, but I have this. It's 2x3 tubing.

Name:  SFC3.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  57.0 KB
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

I had them do my MM SFC's and Wild Rides torque box reinforcements.
    Last edited by banzaibullitt; 05-01-2018 at 08:56 AM.
    - CA car, 5.0 w/5 speed

Maybe they could notch a piece of angle iron where your SFC would intersect it and weld it at the notch seam so it would be similar to SFC's with seat supports (on the bottom side). They would have to drill holes for the seat mount boltss, bolt them in and weld them to your SFC's
    Last edited by banzaibullitt; 05-01-2018 at 08:58 AM.
    - CA car, 5.0 w/5 speed

I actually bought some MM SFC seat braces. I had been thinking of adapting them somehow, but that's as far as I got with it. Plenty of other crap to fix on this stupid thing. I suppose it would be easy enough to just have some one cut them to fit and then slap 'em in.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

That sounds like a good plan. I didn't know they sold the seat braces separately.
    - CA car, 5.0 w/5 speed

Quote Originally Posted by banzaibullitt View Post
    That sounds like a good plan. I didn't know they sold the seat braces separately.
    I don't think they even still do. I looked for the hardware kit on their site and couldn't find it!
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

If you need the hardware just call them and they can "hook you up" with what you need. I bought some used C/C plates that were missing the hardware, so I called them up and they sent me everything I needed.
    - CA car, 5.0 w/5 speed

All I really need is those seat studs, but extended. I'm thinking maybe I can find some elsewhere for cheaper. I got under the car today and here's what's there.

Did yours have that bracket you posted above mounted below those plates the studs thread into? Or INSTEAD OF them?
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Looks good. I'd like to do through floor sfcs on mine someday.

Cale

I'll look tonight, since it's up on jack stands. IIRC the plates are pop riveted to the underside of the floor pan at the rear seat mount locations, and the SFC cross brackets are bolted into the rear seat mount bolt locations over the reinforcement plate location.
    - CA car, 5.0 w/5 speed

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrEFI View Post
    All I really need is those seat studs, but extended. I'm thinking maybe I can find some elsewhere for cheaper. I got under the car today and here's what's there.

Did yours have that bracket you posted above mounted below those plates the studs thread into? Or INSTEAD OF them?
    Yes, they have the seat cross braces that are bolted in the rear seat mount holes.
    - CA car, 5.0 w/5 speed

Okay, thanks. Not sure what I'm going to do. Well, install the driveshaft loop, at least I guess. haha
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST