Close

Default What posi in an 84 gt 350

We are having a hard time putting the 3.73s in this thing. I got the notched pin but it still doesn't have enough room for the clip. This thing has springs and two plates that press against the spider gears. That plate is causing the problem. I wish I had my camera with me. The shop said it isn't a traction Lok, and the Ford dealer said you couldn't get lsd back in 84 (dealers...). The window sticker says traction Lok.

It is not "posi". That is a GM term. Ford calls their limited slip differential Traction-Lok. And that is what you have.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

I just yanked one out of my 84 lx, has the 7.5 trac loc, has coil springs in it instead of the s shaped spring I was used to seeing. what clip can’t you get in the c clip?
    84 LX Vert. 5.0 5speed canyon red on white
    99 cobra, electric green on medium parchment, vortech s-trim

Yeah, c clip is funky. Has a ridge on it too. Nothing like the clips we got from Yukon. Those wouldn't fit either. We just need a 16th of an inch if even that. We could "pound" it in but we would never get it out again. We are probably going to grind it a hair... Somebody said it was a duralok? Or something like that but I think it is whatever Ford put in there.

The clips they sent us had a much larger oustide diameter.

And you are putting in the c-clips in with the cross pin removed and the axles pushed in correct?

Nope. The ring gear is too big to get the pin in so we bought the Yukon pin with a recess in it, it just isn't recessed enough.

Gotcha, I’ve never used one of those. But sounds like it needs to be machined further to allow those axles to come in just a little further.

Yeah, we don't want to tear it down again to get the pin out, and we don't want to weaken the pin... Instead we are going to add a hair more play in the axle. Uggh.

Quote Originally Posted by emerygt350 View Post
    Somebody said it was a duralok? Or something like that but I think it is whatever Ford put in there.
    It is "Traction-Lok"
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

They have gone with grinding the pin rather than the clips. I am happy with that.

I agree to machine the pin and not the axles. Cutting the axles would give you excessive movement even when the pin is in the locked position.

Yeah, we looked at grinding the tip of the axles but we figured grinding the clips would be least offensive (I was even thinking about slipping a spacer in and then the ground clip), but the best way has to be the pin. I don't want think about my axles sliding around every time I corner.