Close

Thread: 84' 5.0 upgrade

Default 84' 5.0 upgrade

I have a bone stock 84' CFI pullout I am going to install in my 86'. I will be removing the CFI and installing edelbrock airgap and holley 3310 i figure. My questions are what is the compression of 84' engines. Are the heads junk? What about stock camshaft? I figure to be pulling all tin and replacing gaskets so i might entertain a head and cam swap. I do not want to go crazy would like the stock t5 to live. 86' has great power brakes and a/c and will continue to do so.

Good idea. When NHRA goes looking... compression ratio in either the 1984 4-barrel or CFI 302 is 9:1, with D.8.O.E or D.9.4.E heads, either having 67.5cc combustion chambers, that are common Ford heads, and basically cast iron door stops. Junk is a relative term, but they can be massaged to perform. Indeed, what about the stock camshaft? It's... the stock camshaft... lift is 0.418" intake and 0.447" exhaust, and duration won't be anything to write home about. I'd say to allow a stock T5 to live, concentrate on upper end horsepower instead of low end torque in front of it, and enhance low speed acceleration by using larger numerical gears in the rear axle behind it... like 3.73+...
    Last edited by Walking-Tall; 04-15-2018 at 07:40 PM.
    Mike
    1986 Mustang convertible ---> BUILD THREAD
    Past Fox-chassis "four eyes":
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1986 Ford Thunderbird ELAN
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Work in progress website ---> http://carb-rebuilds-plus.boards.net/

So by just swapping to a quality tuned intake carb setup should give me at least the hp/torque numbers the aero nosed cars had?

More, easily, without even trying hard. With what you're planning, ideally and dialed in, looking at idle to 6500rpm, compared to what an "aero nosed car had", approximate 50ft-lbs peak AND average torque increase, about 70 more peak horsepower and about 40 more average horsepower. Butta bing, 280+ hp @ 5000rpm & 340+ ft-lbs @ 4000rpm.
    Last edited by Walking-Tall; 04-16-2018 at 01:29 AM.
    Mike
    1986 Mustang convertible ---> BUILD THREAD
    Past Fox-chassis "four eyes":
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1986 Ford Thunderbird ELAN
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Work in progress website ---> http://carb-rebuilds-plus.boards.net/

I wouldn't worry about the T5 with what you are doing unless you plan on racing with sticky tires and power shifts. I used to break my T5 once or twice a year when I was racing but now that it's strictly street I don't expect to ever have a problem with it and I'm running a 408. Personally I think the T5 is a stronger transmission than people give it credit for. Power shifts will break 3rd gear for sure but what reason is there to ever power shift a street driven car?
    408/T5/3.73's

We're not fast racers, we're more what's known as half fast racers.

1984 engines were 8.4:1 compression ratio with boat anchors for cylinder heads. Back in the day on my 82 GT I did spend alot of time on the stockers which included 1.94 intake and 1.6 exhaust valves, drill & tap for rocker arm studs, larger ports, bowl cleanup, mill, etc. along with a Lunati Street Master cam. Car really woke up and this was back in the mid 80's when there weren't alot of cylinder head choices and the ones that were out there were $$$.

My 1985 has the same stock 8.4:1 pistons...basically flat top with 4 small valve reliefs...except 85 slugs were forged and not cast like previous years. I gained almost a point in compression by switching from the stock heads...basically early E7's with large combustion chambers...to a GT40p head with 59cc combustion chambers.

I was kinda in the same boat as I pulled the power plant, tore it down to the short block, cleaned everything up, checked clearances, installed new oil pump timing chain, added little better cam, and regasketed. It's a fun little weekend car toy.
    HAD
    '82 GT monochromatic (red)...black cloth

HAVE
    '85 GT vert two tone (white on charcoal)...white leather
    '00 F350 two tone (white on silver)...gray cloth
    '00 Excursion Limited two tone (white on tan)...tan leather...wifes ride
    '08 Taurus Limited ice blue...tan leather...daughter ride
    '08 Edge Limited white sand tri-coat metallic...tan leather...other daughters ride

Quote Originally Posted by bwguardian View Post
    1984 engines were 8.4:1 compression ratio with boat anchors for cylinder heads. Back in the day on my 82 GT I did spend alot of time on the stockers which included 1.94 intake and 1.6 exhaust valves, drill & tap for rocker arm studs, larger ports, bowl cleanup, mill, etc. along with a Lunati Street Master cam. Car really woke up and this was back in the mid 80's when there weren't alot of cylinder head choices and the ones that were out there were $$$.

My 1985 has the same stock 8.4:1 pistons...basically flat top with 4 small valve reliefs...except 85 slugs were forged and not cast like previous years. I gained almost a point in compression by switching from the stock heads...basically early E7's with large combustion chambers...to a GT40p head with 59cc combustion chambers.

I was kinda in the same boat as I pulled the power plant, tore it down to the short block, cleaned everything up, checked clearances, installed new oil pump timing chain, added little better cam, and regasketed. It's a fun little weekend car toy.

So the heads are crap? I figured so this is the reason I was a sbc guy back in the day. The reason I was originally asking was due to the fact the stock heads do not have adj rockers. I do not mind doing the work to convert to adj rockers but it is way to much work to do on junk heads.

Quote Originally Posted by jazdill View Post
    So the heads are crap? I figured so this is the reason I was a sbc guy back in the day. The reason I was originally asking was due to the fact the stock heads do not have adj rockers. I do not mind doing the work to convert to adj rockers but it is way to much work to do on junk heads.
    Just because they are bolt down fulcrum rockers and not adjustable stud doesn't mean they're junk. You can pick up a set of GT40 style heads...the GT40p don't have smog thermactor plumbing...that still have the bolt down fulcrum rockers. These are the best heads produced by Ford and efficient enough they didn't need the smog plumbing. For a mild build they are good economical option.
    HAD
    '82 GT monochromatic (red)...black cloth

HAVE
    '85 GT vert two tone (white on charcoal)...white leather
    '00 F350 two tone (white on silver)...gray cloth
    '00 Excursion Limited two tone (white on tan)...tan leather...wifes ride
    '08 Taurus Limited ice blue...tan leather...daughter ride
    '08 Edge Limited white sand tri-coat metallic...tan leather...other daughters ride