Close

FEP Member

Default If F.A.S.T included our cars?

I’m amazed at what guys cars are capable of in that series of racing. Seriously as a kid I went to an all Ford drag race with all the top Muscle cars I had heard incredible tales of and they were not all that fast. I was so disappointed. But per the rules these guys have period correct streatable cars going really fast on outdated rubber. Very amusing to me. I really love the way the sanctions are set up.

It got me to thinking about my own project goals. I admire both period correct details and better than stock performance. What could a guy accomplish with a bone stock appearing 82gt on TRX tires? Per F.A.S.T rules you would have to run them. Since it isn’t official I might go to the 16” copies, but still. What could a guy achieve with a non roller block, 2v carb and a lackluster transmission? Without headers or sticky tires even.

I think it is a fantastic idea and I’m really excited to give it a good effort. Maybe it would catch on? Preserving more of what our cars were instead of building the car with the latest and greatest parts available. And not just us could play. What I wouldn’t give for Camero and Firebird guys to join in. In our own factory appearing stock tire class. 5.0 Fox bodies weren’t the only game in town. I turn my head when I see a period Z28 or TransAm looking sharp, looking as it should.

Anyway that is what I will do and I’m going to have a ton of fun with it even if I’m the only one.

Watch the factory stock guys, there a few guys here that have gotten into the 12's if I remember right in "stock"trim.
    2 1986 cougars (both 4 eyed and 5.0)
    1 1987 cougar

FEP Member

But isn’t “stock” not really stock? They shave weight buy removing seats, long tube headers, exhaust upgrades, slicks with skinny’s up front. They are far from “stock”. If I go to the track I’ll undoubtedly see LS engines, turbos, superchargers, nitrous plates, slicks, drag radios, headers, big exhausts, hear big cams, see racing seats and the list goes on.

I want to see what a car that looks showroom can do with no visible modifications and huge lumpy cams. Many of the Carson FAST have big advantages in cubic inch displacement. But we have what we have.

I think lost is some of the old school engineering that went by way of the dinosaurs because aftermarket everything was so easy and available.

FEP Member

But isn’t “stock” not really stock? They shave weight buy removing seats, long tube headers, exhaust upgrades, slicks with skinny’s up front. They are far from “stock”. If I go to the track I’ll undoubtedly see LS engines, turbos, superchargers, nitrous plates, slicks, drag radios, headers, big exhausts, hear big cams, see racing seats and the list goes on.

I want to see what a car that looks showroom can do with no visible modifications and huge lumpy cams. Many of the Cars in FAST have big advantages in cubic inch displacement. But we have what we have.

I think lost is some of the old school engineering that went by way of the dinosaurs because aftermarket everything was so easy and available.