I have an 84 LX 5.0 convertible.

Two summers ago I had the motor replaced with a crate motor I got from Gear Head. Last summer I had the car body worked and painted.

Right after the paint job was done I started noticing a bad ticking from the driver side of the engine. The worst thing is that I really don't feel comfortable having any mechanic pull apart the top of the engine after just having the car painted.

The warranty from Gear Head sucks because they want me to pay a mechanic to replace the lifters then send them the paid invoice of which they will partially reimburse based on their billing of no more than $50 an hour.

I tried to free up the lifter with additives. Two days ago I dropped a can of sea foam in the oil on top of what's in there and drove it on the parkway for about 10 miles. Then yesterday I drained 1 quart and replaced with Marvel Mystery oil and drove for about 5 miles. The ticking is still loud and clear. I'm gonna run this for about 20 miles then drain and refill with fresh oil. Does anyone have suggestions to free up the lifter short of pulling apart the top of the engine? I'm thinking a quart of Lucas with my next oil change.

Seriously if I opt to replace the lifters I think it would be a good idea to make a full upgrade out of the project and swap the cam for a roller cam. Any suggestions?