Close

Default Dustless Blasting

Has anyone used the dustless blasting method? and estimate on how much it costs
    2017 Ford Explorer Sport (DD) 1986 Capri 5.0 Silver/Red
    1969 Falcon XW GTHO coupe (SOLD) went to Australia
    Past 4 eyes-
    4th. 1981 Capri "White" Black Magic I6
    3rd. 1984 Capri RS V8 Black/grey
    2nd. 1984 Capri RS V8 White/red
    1st. 1984 SVO Grey/grey (traded it for a worn out 1970 BOSS 302)
    Both '84 Capri's vin# were 10 away from each other
    U.S. NAVY 1980-2009

I was going to a couple years ago, but the only place that does it in my area wanted $3k-3,500.... plus an extra $1500 or so to slap some epoxy on afterward. I think I need to move. Pricing like this is a regular occurrence around here.

FEP Member

Friend had a Torino Cobra blasted. He had it ready to blast and on a lift when the guy got there. He blasted the whole car to the metal including the underside. Cost was $1000 including rust inhibitor and the guy came to him.
    I have an industrial pressure washer with a carbide attachment to use crushed glass. I charge $1000-$1500 including rust inhibitor but the car comes to me ready. I can epoxy prime for another $300-$400.
    Insist on crushed glass as it does not pack up in crevices and blow out in your paint job later on like most media does.

Damn thats crazy prices!
    2017 Ford Explorer Sport (DD) 1986 Capri 5.0 Silver/Red
    1969 Falcon XW GTHO coupe (SOLD) went to Australia
    Past 4 eyes-
    4th. 1981 Capri "White" Black Magic I6
    3rd. 1984 Capri RS V8 Black/grey
    2nd. 1984 Capri RS V8 White/red
    1st. 1984 SVO Grey/grey (traded it for a worn out 1970 BOSS 302)
    Both '84 Capri's vin# were 10 away from each other
    U.S. NAVY 1980-2009

FEP Supporter

I've heard of specialty applications doing dry ice blasting.

I would say that for the average vehicle on the exterior only would be easily $750-$1200. If you are doing everything, underside, engine bay, etc. then you are at $1000-$1500 no problem.

Consider that many of these services do this at your location, so they have to factor in travel expenses, time, etc. That saves you time and travel, so . . .

The next issue is material costs and equipment costs are relatively high for this type of work, so ultimately they have to charge enough to recoup those costs. If you compare what this costs to having the car stripped with chemical strippers or even just by sanding, etc. IMHO this does a much better job and costs are very similar overall. If just doing the exterior you can probably save some $$ over media blasting, but if doing the entire car top to bottom, nothing will work as well as media blasting for getting everything completely clean. As a guy that has restored/rebuilt/repainted a lot of cars over the years, I can say that starting with a freshly cleaned slate is really nice! You know exactly what you are working with and don't have to worry about someone else's previous work coming back to haunt you down the road. Best of Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Although TV could make you think that blasting cars is ALL most "Dustless Blaster's" do that is not the reality. The real money in this type of commercial surface blasting work is NOT vehicle restoration blasting it's commercial work for high paying commercial customers with the great possibility of ongoing repeat business. The REAL MONEY as in higher rates per hour is doing work for commercial business work cleaning surfaces, removing rust, removing or cleaning most anything else the customer wants. Because of this fact blasting cars usually ends up being filler work when not busy with the above commercial work.

Pricing?

I believe Trey gave a good barometer of what the typical costs are. Think about it. The "Dustless Blasting" guy brings their blasting service to YOU at your location which involves additional fuel for the truck/trailer, travel time pay to/from your location for the employees doing the work, equipment setup, equipment/job site cleanup and having to listen to YOU the customer watch and even worse try to "help" them which ALWAYS adds time and therefore COST.

It is for this reason that many of these MOBILE Dustless Blasting service providers want to line up multiple vehicles to blast the same day so they can go from car to car rather than blowing one whole day just coming to YOU and only blasting your POS that day. To make them want to come to YOU on your schedule YOU better be ready to bend over and pay Mo Money! No different than any other business with one exception. That one exception is that these guys WILL come to you with their service when most any other type of business will not!

Bring the car to them for blasting? Got a trailer? Got a truck to pull the trailer? What's your time worth doing what you do for a living? Can you bring it to them during regular business hours during the week? I didn't think so!!

Blasting is a SERVICE business. At least with this service you can choose "Your place or Mine"!

Expensive?

Try DA sanding a car to remove the paint/rust or chemical paint stripping a car just 1 time in your life and the Dustless Blasting guy's price and service just might be a BARGAIN!!!
    Last edited by vintageracer; 04-17-2018 at 02:06 PM.
    Mike
    Remember, "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts!"

1995 Ford Powerstroke F350 "Centurion" STRETCHED Crew Cab Dually

I like "Cut & Coach Built" vehicles!

www.musclecardeals.com

I would have no issues paying someone a grand or maybe a little more to strip the exterior of a little ol fox body, but $4k or so was a bit on the ridiculous side lol! And that was with the "since you're a buddy" price! (Not really his buddy, but I do know him).

Quote Originally Posted by Broncojunkie View Post
    I would have no issues paying someone a grand or maybe a little more to strip the exterior of a little ol fox body, but $4k or so was a bit on the ridiculous side lol! And that was with the "since you're a buddy" price! (Not really his buddy, but I do know him).
    $4K is the "I don't really want to do it" Price, but if you are crazy enough to pay it then Heck Yeah!!!
    ​Trey

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    $4K is the "I don't really want to do it" Price, but if you are crazy enough to pay it then Heck Yeah!!!
    Exactly! He doesn't want to do it, but if you throw enough cash at anyone, you usually can persuade them.

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    Normally, I would agree. This guy was really selling it though hehe!

Quote Originally Posted by Broncojunkie View Post
    Normally, I would agree. This guy was really selling it though hehe!
    Hell! For $4K so would I!
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller