Close

Thread: Carb or EFI

Default Carb or EFI

So originally I was going to switch my EFI 5.0 to carb but looking at the options and prices it seems keeping it fuel injected might not be as expensive as once thought.

Are there any pros to sticking with fuel injection verses Carb?
    HP difference between the 2?
    Ease of use/ learning curve?

Blog Entries

What EFI do you have now? What are your HP goals? What is your motor combination?
    1983 Mustang G.T. No-option stripper- I like strippers.
    5.0, GT40P heads, Comp Cams XE270HR-12 on 1.6 rockers, TFI spring kit, Weiand 174 blower, Holley 750 mechanical secondarys, Mishimoto radiator, Edelbrock street performer mechanical pump, BBK shortys, T-5 conversion, 8.8 rear, 3.73 gears, carbon fiber clutches, SS Machine lowers, Maximum Motorsport XL subframes, "B" springs.

Here comes my 2 cents ... IMHO...

Depends on where you're looking at options and prices. Common 1850/80457/variations of 600cfm or 3310 750cfm vacuum secondary carburetors are pretty much all over the place, for a song, for one that needs cleaned, maybe a little fixing or missing parts added, and a kit installed... and a bit of more in depth tuning can bring far and away more fuel efficiency than can be had with factory fuel injection. I'll admit to being heavily biased, and your post drew me in here like nobody's business... because I've done so (nearly doubling my mpg in the process), and have done so on a good number of other peoples' vehicles, either refreshing/fixing/dialing in what they have or preparing something for their combination. Somewhat seemingly more expense nowadays is finding a good used four barrel intake manifold for a small block Ford. They don't appear to be as inexpensive and plentiful anymore, though they're out there to be found with some searching.

Twisting my arm to display my bias again, lol... way too many variables... cfm sizing, tuning, and whatnot on either side of this fence, but, simply, with as is components and a little learning or further expenditure for tuning capabilities, more power (bottom, mid, top, and averages) for far less money with a dialed in carburetor. Proven time and again by many still today.

At the end of the day though, honestly, what's already on the car should usually be least expensive, since it's already all there. If being and remaining inside the box of factory FI speaks to you that you'd rather not be stuck inside that box, or if after all these years it's continually malfunctioning due to sensors past their invisible best before date or deteriorated wiring or connections or is a general nuisance and/or a pig on gas, it doesn't have to remain, and it doesn't have to cost a fortune to eliminate it either... quite the contrary... yank it all out and wave good bye to mysteries of malfunction continuing to need being found out or paid for to be found out just to hook the car up to the who-jack for a scan, and apparently fixed with sometimes repeated installations of sensors that gets expensive, un-explainable exhaust stench, commonly (and falsely) thought to be a catalytic converter deficiency, and bad fuel efficiency issues in general... yank it... otherwise, fix what ya got if it ain't right...
    Mike
    1986 Mustang convertible ---> BUILD THREAD
    Past Fox-chassis "four eyes":
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1986 Ford Thunderbird ELAN
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Work in progress website ---> http://carb-rebuilds-plus.boards.net/

Quote Originally Posted by Walking-Tall View Post
    Here comes my 2 cents ... IMHO...

Depends on where you're looking at options and prices. Common 1850/80457/variations of 600cfm or 3310 750cfm vacuum secondary carburetors are pretty much all over the place, for a song, for one that needs cleaned, maybe a little fixing or missing parts added, and a kit installed... and a bit of more in depth tuning can bring far and away more fuel efficiency than can be had with factory fuel injection. I'll admit to being heavily biased, and your post drew me in here like nobody's business... because I've done so (nearly doubling my mpg in the process), and have done so on a good number of other peoples' vehicles, either refreshing/fixing/dialing in what they have or preparing something for their combination. Somewhat seemingly more expense nowadays is finding a good used four barrel intake manifold for a small block Ford. They don't appear to be as inexpensive and plentiful anymore, though they're out there to be found with some searching.

Twisting my arm to display my bias again, lol... way too many variables... cfm sizing, tuning, and whatnot on either side of this fence, but, simply, with as is components and a little learning or further expenditure for tuning capabilities, more power (bottom, mid, top, and averages) for far less money with a dialed in carburetor. Proven time and again by many still today.

At the end of the day though, honestly, what's already on the car should usually be least expensive, since it's already all there. If being and remaining inside the box of factory FI speaks to you that you'd rather not be stuck inside that box, or if after all these years it's continually malfunctioning due to sensors past their invisible best before date or deteriorated wiring or connections or is a general nuisance and/or a pig on gas, it doesn't have to remain, and it doesn't have to cost a fortune to eliminate it either... quite the contrary... yank it all out and wave good bye to mysteries of malfunction continuing to need being found out or paid for to be found out just to hook the car up to the who-jack for a scan, and apparently fixed with sometimes repeated installations of sensors that gets expensive, un-explainable exhaust stench, commonly (and falsely) thought to be a catalytic converter deficiency, and bad fuel efficiency issues in general... yank it... otherwise, fix what ya got if it ain't right...
    Lol awesome post, made my decision for me. I'm old school so carb is the way I was leaning but I just wanted to read some opinions.

For a look at some ideas on this subject and a look at my inexpensive conversion, which was a REversion of "technology", about two decades worth, that I am still thoroughly enjoying today, that is daily driven and trouble free for over two years and a number of kilometers/miles later now, scroll down and begin at post # 63 on page 3 of my build thread.

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...d-thread/page3

Mike
    1986 Mustang convertible ---> BUILD THREAD
    Past Fox-chassis "four eyes":
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1986 Ford Thunderbird ELAN
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Work in progress website ---> http://carb-rebuilds-plus.boards.net/