Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 8.8 questions

Quote Originally Posted by Sask84gt View Post
    So, like the rookie I am I actually realised that when I was trying to turn the pinion the lugs were moving to. So what I thought was backlash was actually the axles turning a bit. I had my son hold the lugs on the studs still and now there is very little play ( almost none )before engaging the wheels. Hope this makes sense as I'm not down with all the lingo yet.
    Thats will not give you the backlash. Pull the rear cover if not already done as probably want to change the oil in the diff as previous owner maybe a knot head.
    You hold the pinion and move the ring gear with a dial indicator measuring the backlash.
    Every other way is wrong. Holding axles well... guess what your also checking the slop in the side gears and axle splines etc .. or bolt it up and run it as is.

Quote Originally Posted by 78futura View Post
    Thats will not give you the backlash. Pull the rear cover if not already done as probably want to change the oil in the diff as previous owner maybe a knot head.
    You hold the pinion and move the ring gear with a dial indicator measuring the backlash.
    Every other way is wrong. Holding axles well... guess what your also checking the slop in the side gears and axle splines etc .. or bolt it up and run it as is.
    Will do thanks, we will definitely be opening it up to have a look be we run it.

Thought I would ask in my older thread instead of starting a new one. Can someone tell me what this part is? Looks like a bushing or something. Like to replace.
    Attachment 122025

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12