Close

Default LED tail lights for an 85 GT

I was wondering if the LED tail lights advertised for the 88-93's will fit on my 85 GT. And if so, would it be a "plug-n-play" or will there need to be some wiring modifications to the harness? Thanks for any information on this.

They should be the same wiring wise but I don't recall about the bolting in part.

FEP Power Member

Well, if you think about it....
    The 93 Cobra used the 85/86 SVO tail lights which were just striped 84 LX/GT tail lights.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

I've had excellent luck with these 1157R Sylvania Zevo LED's in the back of my '85 GT. No issues with them affecting the front turn signals. No issue with them affecting the dash turn signal lights. No need for load resistors. The warning light does come on in the console alert center. I took pictures to compare and they are definitely brighter as tail lights and brake lights. They are do not directly send any light aft (the black lens "stripe" is in the way anyway). The light all reflects off the housing reflector, but it's still brighter in every way. They go on and off immediately instead of the slower ramp up and down time as incandescents. Plug BOTH bulbs into the sockets before seeing if they're working. They won't work with one LED plugged in and one incandescent 1157 plugged into the other socket.

Get the red bulbs. The color is a much richer red. Buy a pair at Autozone and test them out. Easy to take back if you're not happy. I was very happy with mine.

https://www.amazon.com/SYLVANIA-ZEVO.../dp/B01A77TV4Q
    '85 Mustang convertible GT, 5 speed, 4V
    Stock bottom end, Comp Cams XE264HR-14, GT-40P heads w/ Alex's springs, Weiand 8124 Street Warrior,
    Summit Racing 600CFM carb, 8.8 Turbo Coupe rear end w/ 3.55 gears, '94/'95 Cobra brakes, '85 Town Car M/C, '93 Cobra booster, MM Panhard Bar, MM Strut Tower Brace, MM 4 point K-member Brace

'68 Mercury Cougar, w/ '88 5.0L, 4V
    My photo website:
    http://www.twilightphoto.com/

Quote Originally Posted by KevinK View Post
    Well, if you think about it....
    The 93 Cobra used the 85/86 SVO tail lights which were just striped 84 LX/GT tail lights.
    Yeah I realize that but for some reason they don't include those cross over applications in their listings, that's why I decided to ask.

Keep in mind that the housings (actual bolt in light socket part) are the same 83-93. The Lenses are 83-86, 87-93 LX, and 87-93 GT but all will physically interchange.

The issue with any "Plug & Play LED setups" might be that IIRC the tail light bulbs and sockets changed in 1988 going from an 1157 (79-87) to a 3157 (88-93) so if the setup is designed for the majority of Aero cars, then the socket is most likely different. Not a huge deal to swap sockets out, but obviously will not be a plug in.
    Last edited by wraithracing; 04-19-2018 at 06:15 PM. Reason: Spelling
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Thanks Trey, that's the info I was looking for. I thought that was the case but without any first hand experience with 87-up foxbodys, confusing and sometimes conflicting listings were all I had to go on. Thanks to everyone for their input.