Close

Default Overkill or not heads and intake extrude honed

I can buy a set of trick flow heads and edelbrock 5.0 intake for a great price and they have both been extrude honed.
    Will that be overkill on a stick bottom 90? Down the road will probably supercharge but not for a while
    What would be a minumum starting point

thanks

Todd

Overkill? No way. The heads are the biggest issue with making power on a 5.0. Impossible to guess a price. Either one of them could be cracked or have repairs to threads, broken tabs etc. But you will DEFINITELY see a power gain on a stock HO. I installed a hand ported GT40 intake on an otherwise stock HO (still has crappy stock heads) and got 18 RWHP on a dyno.

I found that the stock intake is a big bottleneck in making more power with the stock heads obviously being a close second.... the stock E7TE (even the E6SE) heads have a bit more "flow" in them (untouched) than the stock intake is capable of supplying. But a head and intake swap will (along with other supporting mods, throttle body, air filter, MAM, etc.) will provide big power gains.
    Mark

1986 GT Hatchback (2R): 5spd, TFS FAC 170s, TFS Stage 2 Cam, Vortech SQ S-Trim, MM Suspension, SN95 5-lug conversion w/Fox 5-lug rear axles, 3.73's, 13" / 11.65" brakes, Moates QuarterHorse
    '88 LX 5.0
    '22 GT500

+1 on this

stock untouched E6SE
    155 CFM / cyl intake

stock untouched E7SE
    160 CFM / cyl intake

stock carb intake is a turd, but I can’t find flow numbers on the revisions over the years off hand.

Stock EFI
    110 CFM front and rear cyl
    130 CFM on the other 6 holes

An 86 HO motor with a very mild SD friendly cam (or Stock cam and 1.72:1 rockers) and a 65MM throttle body and a free flowing short enough runner intake and headers the mill will rev (willingly) to the 6250 rev limiter. 5800 if an explorer intake is used.

Peak is around 6150-6200 so it’s a shift at 6100 to avoid the 6250 rev limiter operation.

With this arrangement and underdrive pulleys and timing advanced to “kill” depending upon the ECU you could see as much as +60-70 vs stock without swapping heads. A few magazine builds eclipsed 315HP with stock E7’s.

TFS with a good intake and proper cam will go north of +125 to +200 vs stock.

0-60 with a T5Z and 2.73’s and Stock heads can become a first gear only operation and a sub-5 second pull at that. 2nd is good to around 85-87. 3rd north of 130. 4th north of 160. 5th ... damn dude, slow the hell down 3 gears ago already!

One hell of a lot more fun to drive! More fun with lower gears
    Last edited by erratic50; 04-12-2018 at 08:25 PM.

Okay a plan is coming together,
    The guy has had the parts for over 10 years and they are brand new. he also has an accufab 70 throttle body
    with this combo I think a 331 would be good.

Any suggestions on a good driveable cam for that combo?

Contact comp cams.