Close

Default Hood Scoop questions

Hey everyone!
    So I'm looking to put a 79-82 scoop on my 85 gt and I'm wondering what are the effects in rain? Is it going to ruin my carb? Or have any adverse effects I should be wary of? Thanks in advance!

The scoop is totally sealed off, thus very little air or water intrudes into the engine compartment. It is just a "image" piece unless you need the room for a taller intake (which mine does).

The 85 hood lines taper, where as the 82 are parallel. Not sure of the looks on the later body, you should do a Google search for the image.

I made the forward facing original hood scoop on my '80 RS Turbo Capri with 302 installed, functional (removed the front "grill" part), and it (somewhat) force fed a foam top air filter real well. Even open at the front, the hood does slope downhill forward, so rain doesn't tend to go in. I never had an issue with water/moisture regarding the carburetor or distributor. In original hoods, there's a bit of a raised lip a bit back behind where the scoop opening is as well in the hole in the hood. I did wedge a length of foam into the scoop opening during the winter though.
    Mike
    1986 Mustang convertible ---> BUILD THREAD
    Past Fox-chassis "four eyes":
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1986 Ford Thunderbird ELAN
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Work in progress website ---> http://carb-rebuilds-plus.boards.net/

Quote Originally Posted by Walking-Tall View Post
    I made the forward facing original hood scoop on my '80 RS Turbo Capri with 302 installed, functional (removed the front "grill" part), and it (somewhat) force fed a foam top air filter real well. Even open at the front, the hood does slope downhill forward, so rain doesn't tend to go in. I never had an issue with water/moisture regarding the carburetor or distributor. In original hoods, there's a bit of a raised lip a bit back behind where the scoop opening is as well in the hole in the hood. I did wedge a length of foam into the scoop opening during the winter though.
    okay cool that makes me feel a lot better. the idea I have is to build an intake from the front of the vehicle from where the fog lights were and feed it up to the carb build a bowl around the carb flush with the hood and have the hood scoop add more air from the top for maximum cool air and plus that scoop looks sick soooo I just want to make sure I wasn't screwing myself over incase rain gets in there but I think ill be fine plus I live in AZ not like ill have to deal with that a whole lot

Quote Originally Posted by mudgepondexpress View Post
    The scoop is totally sealed off, thus very little air or water intrudes into the engine compartment. It is just a "image" piece unless you need the room for a taller intake (which mine does).

The 85 hood lines taper, where as the 82 are parallel. Not sure of the looks on the later body, you should do a Google search for the image.
    I didn't realize the scoop was sealed so looks like ill be cutting stuff out to make it work haha

Mine is open, but I wish I had a sealed one. It never see's any rain though.
    Keith formerly STLPONDS
    '79 V8 coupe in the works!
    Build thread http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?t=89153

I have an earlier front facing scoop and want to to put it on my 84. How are you guys working around the studs on the scoop and the hood support structure. I really don't want to cut ugly pass thru holes in the support structure. I don't use under-hood insulation to hide it either.
    '70 Mach I, Sold and Regret Every Second of it!!!
    '78 King Cobra, Sold
    '84-1/2 GT350 Vert. (My Latest Toy)