Close

Question Help Placing Jack Stands on Rear of Car?

Need a little help with placing the jack stands on the rear on my '85 GT. I am in the process of cleaning and detailing the under side / chassis of my car. It all started with wanting to remove and replace the factory fuel tank to a Sumped Aeromotive tank. Then it just SnowBalled Out of Control because once I remove the original fuel tank, I saw that it was a little dirty for my taste. So I began scraping away at it and painted it. Turned out way better then I had expected. I placed the jack stands under the lower torque box areas to hold the car up in the air. Then I removed the differential to have better access and detail the differential also. plus I have new control arms to install. Anyway, my question is "Where else can I place the jack stands to support the car with the differential off the car?" I need to clean up the area where the jack stands are now (lower torque box area), so I can latter install my control arms and reinstall the differential.

Thanks

Unless you have sub-frame rails, imho, the rear torque boxes are your best bet.

Quote Originally Posted by stangPlus2Birds View Post
    Unless you have sub-frame rails, imho, the rear torque boxes are your best bet.
    I believe what he needs is to move them from that area so he can paint where the jack stands are. Since they're currently holding up the car, he doesn't have another spot to move them with the rear end removed.

That is correct. Just want to make sure that where ever I relocate the jack stands, that they support the weight of the car. I also have the front on Jack Stands. Maybe I could place a 4"X4" across the bottom of the floor boards a little further forward towards the front. I was planning on adding the torque boxes reinforcements,new control arms and full length frame connectors while I have the car up in the air.

Thanks
    Last edited by racerxmd; 04-11-2018 at 04:53 AM.

Just funny or scares me on just how much I enjoy working on the car. Always wanting to see and notice every little detail including every nut, bolt, bracket,brake/fuel lines and general mechanical aspect of the car that I Love so much. I believe I do have a illness for details and such

You can place the jack stands anywhere on the frame rails in the back to support the vehicle. You can also support it off the rear metal bumper, although I don't recommend that long term just to be safe.

As you stated you could place a 4X4 across the frame rails as needed to support the vehicle also.

As for SFC, generally you want the weight of the car sitting on the suspension when installing SFC. Not saying it can't be done otherwise, but most manufacturers recommend installing on a 4 post lift or with the vehicle elevated on stands under the suspension points. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

you can use the frame rails that the quad shocks attach to and or by the tailpipe hanger to frame
    1 of 3 1985 Silver Grand Prix Capr's
    My first New car and still own 1986 Capri

Thanks