Close

Default 87 up Emergency brake handle in an 86?

Looking to swap out my emergency brake handle in my 86 for an 87-93 handle, has anyone done this and whats involved?
    Have:
    1986 Mustang GT Coyote swapped
    1985 Mustang LX coupe
    2016 F150 Supercrew Sport 5.0

Its a pain to do that swap..I would get the redline goods leather e brake cover and call it a day.
    86 coupe
    1993 GT
    My 10 Sec street cars

Never heard of this swap. I actually have both models in the garage right now. What would be your motivation to do so? I don't really see any advantage to the later one. I'm not saying it's a dumb or bad idea at all, I just don't understand your motivation for it is all. Please elaborate.

Major PITA and will cause you major issues with getting your rear E brake adjusted in most cases. You also have the issue of the 87-93 E brake handle being offset rather than centered like the 79-86 cars.

If you want to upgrade you might consider finding an SVO leather wrapped unit. Otherwise there are options from UPR for billet if that is your desire. I also second the Redline Goods E brake handle cover. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Ok the reason why I'm asking is I'm building a new console that incorporates both years so we can have cupholders. I have a damaged 4 eye console I will be using. Being that our brake handles is in the center is why I need an offset one, so I was thinking of swapping it. I'm gonna look into just modifying mine now instead.
    BTW, Yes Redline makes some good stuff, I have there boots already in my 86 with matching Momo wheel.
    Have:
    1986 Mustang GT Coyote swapped
    1985 Mustang LX coupe
    2016 F150 Supercrew Sport 5.0