Close

Default Random Electrical Gremlin Is Back

I could use some help as I’m about at my wits end.

My 84 GT is back to its random electrical issue where sometimes when you turn the key, nothing happens except for some weird electrical clicks behind the dash. It doesn’t seem to try and engage the starter or solenoid. It’s almost like a new car with an almost completely dead battery where things on the dash flicker but nothing happens.

For the most part, I usually don’t have any issue, but when when it acts up, it does it at the most in opportune times and there is no rhyme or reason to it.

The car has a new key switch, ignition switch, starter solenoid, ignition module and so forth. When I did the EFI upgrade, I had to fix a bunch of wiring and when I did, I added additional grounds and made sure all repaired connections were clean and tight. The battery cables are also fairly new and tight.

Any ideas? I really don’t want to have to replace random things to cure this issue.
    Brock
    1984 Mustang LX Convertible 3.8L V-6/Auto (SOLD)
    1984 Mustang GT Hatchback 5.0 V-8/5 Speed

I'm an FEP Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

Hey Brock,
    I had a issue like that once and I found it to be my starter. It would start most of the time, But when it acted up it would not do anything. It had a dead or bad spot in the starter. Replaced it and no problems since, The parts store tested it and said their was no problem but I complained enough until they replaced it. I have been running into a lot of bad parts lately, like a new fuel pump in a chevy 1500 lasted 1 month and 164 miles and was done. I eventually went to a mini spool starter. Hope this helps.
    Bob
    1967 mustang coupe -sold
    1967 cougar GT - sold
    1984 Mustang L 5.0L - Totaled
    1984 Mustang GT 5.0L
    2007 Mustang GT convertible ( wifes car)
    1997 F-350 powerstroke
    USMC Retired 1981-2001

Quote Originally Posted by supercharged347 View Post
    Hey Brock,
    I had a issue like that once and I found it to be my starter. It would start most of the time, But when it acted up it would not do anything. It had a dead or bad spot in the starter. Replaced it and no problems since, The parts store tested it and said their was no problem but I complained enough until they replaced it. I have been running into a lot of bad parts lately, like a new fuel pump in a chevy 1500 lasted 1 month and 164 miles and was done. I eventually went to a mini spool starter. Hope this helps.
    Bob
    That might be a good possibility Bob. I haven’t done anything with it, unlike the rest of the system.
    Would a dead spot in it cause weird feedback type issues?
    Brock

My old 83 Capri would some times slow crank, took it my brother & he determined the battery leads were bad even though they looked new
    Replaced them & it cranked fine.
    Current rides:
    89 LX 5.0, 5 -spd..the Lemon
    86 RS Capri 5.0 Auto...
    86 LX Colorado SSP 5.0 5-spd (Sadly Sold)
    85.5 SVO, Finally Got Boost
    83 RS Capri 5.0, 5-spd (another sadly sold)

Quote Originally Posted by 84StangSVT View Post
    Would a dead spot in it cause weird feedback type issues?
    YES

There could be a bad spot in the armature or field.

Since your repair method so far has been to replace parts you might as well replace the starter also!
    Mike
    Remember, "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts!"

1995 Ford Powerstroke F350 "Centurion" STRETCHED Crew Cab Dually

I like "Cut & Coach Built" vehicles!

www.musclecardeals.com

Quote Originally Posted by vintageracer View Post
    YES

There could be a bad spot in the armature or field.

Since your repair method so far has been to replace parts you might as well replace the starter also!
    In my defense, I haven't replaced anything yet to get down to the bottom of this. Everything that has been replaced to date was due to deficient parts over the past 3 years. Separated original ignition switch, broken key cylinder, welded together starter solenoid and so forth.

I'm not one to sling parts in an attempt to fix an issue, I prefer troubleshooting. That is the reason I asked the question, so I could get an idea on if I missed anything or what I could check next.

Thanks for the info on the starter, I will check it out. The weirdest part is it seem to have some electrical feedback through the system when it does this.
    Brock

Blog Entries

Unhook the lead to the starter from the starter solenoid post, and try cranking. See if it changes anything.
    1983 Mustang G.T. No-option stripper- I like strippers.
    5.0, GT40P heads, Comp Cams XE270HR-12 on 1.6 rockers, TFI spring kit, Weiand 174 blower, Holley 750 mechanical secondarys, Mishimoto radiator, Edelbrock street performer mechanical pump, BBK shortys, T-5 conversion, 8.8 rear, 3.73 gears, carbon fiber clutches, SS Machine lowers, Maximum Motorsport XL subframes, "B" springs.

Clutch "interlock" switch. Maybe not the correct name for it but it keeps you from being able to start the car without the clutch being depressed and it is adjustable so that sounds like a place to check.

I went back through my build thread and Ironically April of last year, this issue started. It’s so ungodly intermittent that I haven’t found the issue in a year.
    Now I did find something interesting with my observation from last year. When this happened, I lost the headlights. Going through the schematics, it appears that both of these areas run through the same fusible link. I wonder if that link is beginning to fail. Reading up on them states that they can cause the car to do some really weird electrical stuff if they are in the process of failing.
    Brock