Close

Default Sail Panel WTF (a cautionary tale)

I recently removed all my interior trim to paint and restore. While I was at it, I thought I'd remove the sail panels and sand/paint them as well (they need it). When I removed the driver's side, none, repeat, none of the nuts came off the little studs mounted to the sail panel. Half of the studs broke the mounting bosses off the panel as they turned, the other half unscrewed themselves from the bosses without damage. I'm posting this as a cautionary tale to others who wish to remove 30+ year-old panels. If you carefully turn the nuts, you may save all the bosses from destruction, and if you're lucky the nuts will come off the studs like they are supposed to. I am going to hit the pass. side nuts with Silikroil in hopes that it will allow the nuts to turn on the studs and not rip them out of the sail panel end. BE CAREFUL if you decide to pull your sail panels!
    Last edited by grtskydog; 04-10-2018 at 02:25 PM.
    Ed

"The Dude abides."

Here's the deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ed

"The Dude abides."

Blog Entries

Yeah, that's about the luck I had. Fortunately, only a couple broke, every other one unscrewed the entire stud.
    1983 Mustang G.T. No-option stripper- I like strippers.
    5.0, GT40P heads, Comp Cams XE270HR-12 on 1.6 rockers, TFI spring kit, Weiand 174 blower, Holley 750 mechanical secondarys, Mishimoto radiator, Edelbrock street performer mechanical pump, BBK shortys, T-5 conversion, 8.8 rear, 3.73 gears, carbon fiber clutches, SS Machine lowers, Maximum Motorsport XL subframes, "B" springs.

Pretty standard issue with most sail panels these days unfortunately.

A pair of needle nose vice grips on the studs will get them off the car. Then either some urethane or epoxy adhesive/glue will set them back into the sail panels just fine. The same adhesive/glue will often glue the broken mounts back onto the sail panels too. Just be sure to add a nice ring around the base of the mounts to help secure them in place. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

with the epoxy the mounts will be stronger. I have had the same issue with several cars. sometimes if you have some one push on the sail panel on the out side to relieve the pressure as you brake the nuts free it helps.

Thanks guys. My plan was to epoxy the broken bosses in and call it good. I won't be pulling the other panel. Easier to mask/paint it on the car.
    Ed

"The Dude abides."

Yep. Pain in the ass. The same issue goes for good scoops and rear wings.
    '79 Indy pace car T-top
    '81 Cobra
    '81 Cobra T-top
    '82 Mustang GT T-top
    '87 Corvette
    '10 Mustang GT Convertible
    '17 F250
    '17 Landrover Discovery Sport

FEP Member

Quote Originally Posted by grtskydog View Post

Here's the deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    same thing happened when i removed mine also.in this photo,what is the large rubber grommet at the top with the whole in it?i noticed im missing one on the passenger side.can these be bought?

Default Sail Panel WTF (a cautionary tale)

Not sure. Looks like some sort of vibration snubber.

I wish I'd asked about this prior to messing one up. Maybe this thread will cause some to re-think and just work on them on the car.

I'll be on the lookout at the pick-n-pull. I've become a four-eye "rare parts" collector lately.
    Last edited by grtskydog; 04-11-2018 at 06:32 AM.
    Ed

"The Dude abides."

Quote Originally Posted by kfxmatt View Post
    same thing happened when i removed mine also.in this photo,what is the large rubber grommet at the top with the whole in it?i noticed im missing one on the passenger side.can these be bought?
    I am not 100%, but the grommet in question is a plug. I believe the hole that is plugged up is used in manufacturing to either hang the quarter panel or help hold it before the uni-body is welded. I have not seen a replacement, but I also haven't looked in awhile, so it's possible. I have found regular plugs that can work and I have also used some quality urethane sealant to plug the opening too.

Quote Originally Posted by grtskydog View Post
    Not sure. Looks like some sort of vibration snubber.

I wish I'd asked about this prior to messing one up. Maybe this thread will cause some to re-think and just work on them on the car.

I'll be on the lookout at the pick-n-pull. I've become a four-eye "rare parts" collector lately.
    I admit they are a pain when the studs pull out or the mounts break off. I personally have found that a small cordless drill or impact work best for removal. Doesn't guarantee you won't have the same problems, but I use a 12V Milwaukee drill or impact (often the impact) and the seems to help pop the nut loose from the studs in most cases. Using a regular ratchet seems to more often than not pull the stud out or break the mounts at least in my case, but then again it could be operator error too on my part!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller