Close

Thread: "Baby Bronco"?

Hybrid View

Default "Baby Bronco"?

WTF is this thing? This is the first I'm hearing about it.

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/04/06/...#slide-7297537

I thought that shadow teaser they showed was the 2020 Bronco, but apparently not? There's now a second product that will be FWD car based and smaller? But sort of look like a Bronco? I was reading the article and they kept referring to it as a crossover. I was like 'WTF, the Bronco will not be a crossover! Did they change their minds? If so, that's REALLY lame.' I thought maybe they were calling the new Bronco "Baby" because it will be smaller than the last full-size Bronco on the market. Is "Baby Bronco" really what they're going to call it?!

Anyway, the video at the bottom says that the Bronco will be offered 2- or 4-door. I'm truly shocked! That's cool! Now, how about a manual?!
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

I don't know who wrote that article, but they have absolutely NO idea what they are talking about!

The Bronco is 4 door only, 2.3L EcoBoost with 10R80 transmission as the only powertrain, sharing numerous components with the new Ranger and the AUS market Everest. It's squarely targeting the Wrangler. The new EcoSport SUV/CUV is chasing the Renegade/Fiat 500L. All of this is already stated by Ford.
    Jim DeAngelis
    Cornucopia of Useless Knowledge
    Connoisseur of Dearborn Ferrous Oxide
    '83 GT hatch, currently under the knife
    '79 Capri 2.3L n/a, Medium Copper metallic, survivor
    (bought from MRausch82)

Weird that they would bring out a 13 year old concept car for that movie. Clearly the new actual Bronco will look nothing like it.

The two-door thing is straight from Jim (Chris) Farley's mouth, so I guess I'd tend to believe him.

And as far as I can tell, the "Baby" isn't taking the place of the EcoSport, although it's due for replacement soon. It's been out for years in other markets. The "Baby" will be slightly bigger. I guess since they're killing all the sedans, they might as well make every possible size of crossover.

Is it just me, or do crossovers just not seem "honest"? Their looks or at least their stance write checks the actual product can't cash. That's why I like my van. It knows what it is, and it makes no apologies for it.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrEFI View Post
    Is it just me, or do crossovers just not seem "honest"? Their looks or at least their stance write checks the actual product can't cash. That's why I like my van. It knows what it is, and it makes no apologies for it.
    What!?! You mean that painting the rocker panels flat black doesn't actually increase ground clearance? The tail lights are shoulder-height so it must be sitting higher.

Hopefully I'll get more information in June during my annual training meeting at WHQ.
    Jim DeAngelis
    (bought from MRausch82)

The two-door thing is straight from Jim (Chris) Farley's mouth, so I guess I'd tend to believe him.
    I tend NOT to believe everything Farley says...

According to Mike Berardi (director of Global Service Engineering at Ford), it's 4-door only. I've not known the man to be wrong often.
    Jim DeAngelis
    (bought from MRausch82)

And as far as I can tell, the "Baby" isn't taking the place of the EcoSport, although it's due for replacement soon. It's been out for years in other markets. The "Baby" will be slightly bigger. I guess since they're killing all the sedans, they might as well make every possible size of crossover. .
    How can the US market EcoSport be due for a replacement, when it was JUST introduced? From what I know, the Bronco is a Legacy nameplate product (like Mustang), not intended to compete with urban/suburban compact suv/cuv's. Bronco is intended to be an enthusiast (off-road capable) product.

I guess we can really only wait and see, given conflicting information.
    Jim DeAngelis
    (bought from MRausch82)

This is the Bronco (as opposed to the "Baby Bronco"). Looks like it could only be a 2-door to me...

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 144
Size:  23.8 KB
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

By the way, here's what's going to become of the Blazer.

Name:  blazer.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  512.4 KB
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Looks like it got T-boned and the rest bashed up. Catchers hat-backwards visor look again in rear.
    Cant tell if paint is light or dark color. Par for the course.

Edited just for fun:
    Shot of adrenaline? 'Bronco' is ok larger squared greenhouse. GM more like a cup of cold coffee.

New car/truck is status symbol as always. Pay on it, put gas, dump before warranty exp.
    2nd owners treat slightly more as transportation. More likely to use quick change oil services.

Same old star wheel shapes. Says driver used to be able to do cartwheels.
    'Get out of my way' bulldozer front ends. Some with blinding headlights. Usually Fords.
    'I don't care about you' rear look. The 'don't come near me' blinding million cp stop lights.

Muted horn $1,000.00+ dual exhaust systems, designed for performance cars, except make no noise.
    Portrays the hip driver tweets and can be a sport or a meany?
    Another bundled product few new suv purchasers would pay for if a separate option.
    Never get polished or cleaned by owner. Like putting a fancy dog collar on a mutt.
    Attempt of a spry look to a freighter . Picture props instead of pipes pushing that 6' wall.
    Last edited by gr79; 08-11-2018 at 03:34 PM.

Yeah, it's ugly. The "floating c-pillar" thing is particularly objectionable.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST